Thread: 1.4 turbo ecotec standalone crank relearn issue

Tuner in Training

1.4 turbo ecotec standalone crank relearn issue

I have a 1.4 turbo ecotec in a mini cooper. I am unable to do a crank relearn because it doesn't see a brake pedal applied. It originally received a CAN message from the BCM. Is there another way around this issue? Thanks

Potential Tuner
    Having a similar issue with my ATS 2.0t. After putting in the new ecu, it won't start the car because it just says "depress clutch to start", even when the clutch is pressed. No idea how to get around it.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibspeed3 View Post
    Having a similar issue with my ATS 2.0t. After putting in the new ecu, it won't start the car because it just says "depress clutch to start", even when the clutch is pressed. No idea how to get around it.
    "system" "general" "vehicle" "disable clutch interlock"

Potential Tuner
    Tried that already and no affect at all. I'm quite sure the message is just the message chosen to use for when the BCM/PCM don't sync up.

Advanced Tuner
    I've done three 1.4 standalone 1.4 engines and haven't had this problem. I'm very interested to see what is going on.
    Welcome to the club.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by sprinto7 View Post
    I've done three 1.4 standalone 1.4 engines and haven't had this problem. I'm very interested to see what is going on.
    Welcome to the club.
    How did you get past "brake pedal not applied" ?

Tuner in Training
    Welcome to the club.
    Standalone pcm? or with bcm as well?

Advanced Tuner
    E78 ECM. No BCM, no FPCM. Turn off all the DTCs that cause problems. Re-wire cable so constant battery voltage goes directly to ECM, and switched 12v controlled by Ignition switch. Starter yellow wire attaches to starter button. That bypasses the clutch and brake, P/N switches. You hook those up if you need to. I may have over simplified the process. I spent a LOT of time reworking the harness.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm off road only, so may be easier.

Tuner in Training
    E78 ECM. No BCM, no FPCM. Turn off all the DTCs that cause problems. Re-wire cable so constant battery voltage goes directly to ECM, and switched 12v controlled by Ignition switch. Starter yellow wire attaches to starter button. That bypasses the clutch and brake, P/N switches. You hook those up if you need to. I may have over simplified the process. I spent a LOT of time reworking the harness.
    I'm using the GM GDS to relearn crank , But it won't go into relearn because it's not seeing brake pedal applied. The brake on signal is via CAN through the bcm which I do not have. I tried the HP tuners without success.

Advanced Tuner
    Have you traced the brake pedal switch through the wiring diagram?

Tuner in Training
    Pcm receives CAN data from Bcm. Mine is standalone Pcm. = No brake wiring.

Tuner in Training
    Can you be more specific on this? Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by coryk View Post
    I have a 1.4 turbo ecotec in a mini cooper. I am unable to do a crank relearn because it doesn't see a brake pedal applied. It originally received a CAN message from the BCM. Is there another way around this issue? Thanks
    What PCM are you using? E78? My 2015 Trax PCM (E78) has a brake position sensor input. I installed a brake pos sensor on my standalone swap. The PCM sees the sensor when the pedal is pushed. I have not used it for any purpose yet.
    The brake pedal signal goes into Grey connector pin 59. The 5v ref is pin 39. the 5v low ref is pin 23.
    I don't use the can. I might be able to send you a wiring diagram file.
    Last edited by sprinto7; 02-03-2019 at 05:36 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Yes, E78 pcm out of 2012 Cruze. I flashed it using a harness I built. I worked at a GM dealer at the that time and used the GDS pass through system. In the Cruze application the brake signal is passed from the BCM. The pinouts are different between the models and years. I will look into that though. Thanks for the info.