Thread: 2016 Crate Coyote control pack problems

Potential Tuner

2016 Crate Coyote control pack problems

I am new to the forum and to tuning in general. I have built my own cars for over 20 years but just now getting into PCM tuning. I guess you could say I am old school.
    Currently I have a coyote swap crate in a 64 Fairlane. It is up and running great.
    Only modifications at this time are long tubes and 2015 Mustang JLT cold air kit.

The car cold starts perfect. High idles, settles and runs great. If I shut it down and restart within 5 minutes no problems at all.
    If I restart after 5 minutes to 1.5 hrs while the motor is warm it is hard to start like it is flooded with fuel. However, no signs of it being flooded.
    No smoke, no smell etc.
    It triggers the mil light for the code PO116 engine coolant temp sensor 1 circuit range.
    I am unsure if this is related to the hard restart/long cranking to start when warm.
    If you let the car sit and cool, starts easy and no light.

Can anyone point me in a direction on what I need to modify in the tune? I have heard the temp range needs to be adjusted... but I have no idea where.
    Apparently it is a known problem with Ford.

Thank You

Im not sure why but the coolant code is prevalent with all the 15+ control packs, i have done quite a few in broncos and trucks and every single one had that coolant temp sensor code. i disabled the code on all and have not had any trouble with restarts hot or cold

Post your file i may be able to help

Potential Tuner
    That would be great.
    I thought about disabling the code but didn't think that would be the best fix. Maybe it is.

attached the file, thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Is there a way to fix this P0116 code on the Ford Control packs Using HP Tuners aside from just disabling the code?

read on another forum that it is a known problem with these units and that the fix is to have a reflash sent by FORD. Problem with mine is it is a Supercharged Crate engine from a 3rd Party. The engine runs well without any of the other mentioned problems just keep seeing the P0116 code after I Clear the code, I can drive the car and everything is fine but re appears on shut down and restart.

Potential Tuner
    Having the same hot start issue. Any updates on this?

You might have a different sensor that the ECU is not programmed for.

There are a dozen tables that are ECT dependent.

It's hard to start in what manner? Extended cranking?
    Last edited by veeefour; 07-07-2019 at 11:14 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Yes extended cranking when hot. Same symptoms as rodneytxps. Starts and idles fine when cold or quick restart but otherwise slow start when hot. Mine is a gen 2 swap in a 69 Cougar.

This is fuel problem. Either MAF is bad/dirty or injectors are bad/not set up correctly. Sometimes it's a leaking fuel pump - bad hose or bad pump.

More to say if there's no ECT feedback or the feedback is not correct you might have some problems - base fuel, base spark ever,cranking fuel...

I know Ford changed the sensor resistance somewhere in the middle - ol Ford changing miscellaneous parts 10 times a year...this can be fixed tho.

ECT is inferred based on Cylinder Head Temp - there's no actual ECT sensor only CHT in the RHD cylinder head.
    Ford is inferring the world....I wonder when they will start inferring spark advance...
    Last edited by veeefour; 07-08-2019 at 12:16 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Hahahaha yes they are!

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by veeefour View Post
    This is fuel problem. Either MAF is bad/dirty or injectors are bad/not set up correctly. Sometimes it's a leaking fuel pump - bad hose or bad pump.

More to say if there's no ECT feedback or the feedback is not correct you might have some problems - base fuel, base spark ever,cranking fuel...

I know Ford changed the sensor resistance somewhere in the middle - ol Ford changing miscellaneous parts 10 times a year...this can be fixed tho.

ECT is inferred based on Cylinder Head Temp - there's no actual ECT sensor only CHT in the RHD cylinder head.
    Ford is inferring the world....I wonder when they will start inferring spark advance...
    Why would you think my situation is so different from rodneytxps? Why would MAF, injectors or fuel pump fail only on a hot restart but operate fine the rest of the time? Obviously I'm new to this but this seems like an odd diagnosis. Also, even after a hot start it runs great. It just cranks for an extra 10 or 15 seconds when its hot. It seems to me it is something in the tune and not mechanical.