Thread: Just wanna confirm a few things before purchase.

Tuner in Training

Just wanna confirm a few things before purchase.

1. I figure buying enough credits for unlimited model/year (for Gen3 99-07 Vortec motors) makes sense. THat's VCM suite with it's built in 8 credits, plus an additional 12 credits, for a total of 20 credits yes? This will let me tune unlimited Gen3 Vortec ECM's right?
    2. I also often need to modify the AC control pin to instead control a second fan trigger. My regular tuning guy does this, but I dont' know what he uses. I assume this is something HPtuners can do yes?
    3. VCM can be used to tune on the fly while driving? IE: Just plug into my laptop and mash the keyboard until I upgrade the HP?

Total cost for this would be just north of $1000USD ?

Advanced Tuner
    No, to license all Gen III LS engines is 12 credits per model. I believe it's something like 30 credits to unlock GM LS1 based trucks and likely again as much to do cars.
    Yes, this switch is configurable in the VCM Editor. You can download a free trial and look at a LS1-based (P01/P59) tune to view the supported parameters. It is located in the System -> AC -> Hardware section.
    You can log on the fly and for certain vehicles you can upgrade the OS to a RTT-supported custom OS. This lets you change some things like spark timing and fueling then copy those changes to your actual tune. The factory hardware does not support tuning on the fly like many standalone ECMs do.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Tuner in Training
    WTF. I didn't see anything about 12 credits per model or 30 credits for all LS1 based.
    Just trying to figure out what i need to tune unlimited gen3 vortec 99-07. I thought this page suggested it'd be ... actually only 6 credits for 99-07 sierra, which is the only model I need.
    https://www.hptuners.com/products/vcmsuite_vehicles.php

Also, so you're saying, withing going to an aftermarket ECU, I cannot tune a 99-07 ECU on the fly? I have to datalog, stop, shut the vehicle off, make my changes, flash them up (presumably a long flash time) and then go for another drive?
    Last edited by blistovmhz; 08-29-2017 at 03:23 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blistovmhz View Post
    WTF. I didn't see anything about 12 credits per model or 30 credits for all LS1 based.
    Just trying to figure out what i need to tune unlimited gen3 vortec 99-07. I thought this page suggested it'd be ... actually only 6 credits for 99-07 sierra, which is the only model I need.
    https://www.hptuners.com/products/vcmsuite_vehicles.php

Also, so you're saying, withing going to an aftermarket ECU, I cannot tune a 99-07 ECU on the fly? I have to datalog, stop, shut the vehicle off, make my changes, flash them up (presumably a long flash time) and then go for another drive?
    If you only want to license 2000 Sierra's, then yes it's 6 credits. If you want to license 2001 Sierra's, it's another 6 credits. The page you have linked to mentions at the top that "Year/Model type licenses will work on an unlimited number of vehicles of that particular model and year." Each different model year is considered a different vehicle. Check out the Credit FAQ page for a better breakdown of this.

Again, it depends if you use an Enhanced/Custom OS (free enhancement), you can use RTT to tune SOME tables on the fly. You then must copy those changes into your tune and flash it to "save" the changes. No GM factory PCM/ECM supports tuning on the fly.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Only P01 computers support RTT, so that anything from 1999-2002 and maybe some 2003 corvettes as those used a P01 still I think.

Also not every computer has RTT as an option so then yes you'd have to log your data, make your changes and flash the vehicle like any other vehicle.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Only P01 computers support RTT, so that anything from 1999-2002 and maybe some 2003 corvettes as those used a P01 still I think.

Also not every computer has RTT as an option so then yes you'd have to log your data, make your changes and flash the vehicle like any other vehicle.
    Well I've got a guy who miraculous saw my FB post about this and is bringing me several ECU's. Is there any benefit to going to a late model ECU? Is that even possible? Or is the 00 going to be the best setup for RTT ?