Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steering assist is reduced. Please drive with care After flashing

Potential Tuner
    Any one solve this issue yet, I have a 17 Sierra 1500 elevation edition (base). I installed a RC front leveling kit, .25? wheel spacers and 275/60/r20 terra grappler tires and started getting the ?steering assist is reduced, drive with care? error at every start up.

Your situation is different. Any time you change the attitude of your rig you need to re-0 the stability system. Otherwise it feels (nose up) like you are accelerating while sitting still. Also needed if the alignment ended up off more to one side or the other, resetting/0ing the stability system needed... The steering is pretty active in these now so it does not know what direction to help if not sure where straight ahead is.

This thread is related mostly to a steering assist message received after reading or writing a tune. It is VERY common. During read/write on most vehicles coms with other modules are interrupted. Some rigs stay offended. Some don't. I just hook up my GM gear, make sure that is all it was, and erase the codes from the upset modules. Once in a while a steering reset is needed (maybe 1 out of 100).

Tuner in Training
    I had this happen also I re wrote the tune after I made sure battery was fully charged and was told to have the steering wheel straight and the truck level. something to do with its internal calibrations . I didn't believe it but had nothing to lose. did it and it worked. then I got worried so set the truck in the street and checked the screen in cluster for the "off road" angles. made sure they all said 0*. and wrote tune again. Figured maybe it could effect my hill assist and tow braking.

Tuner in Training
    Just FYI I had this issue pretty consistently with my 2017 Silverado with 4.2 era software and firmware from the same time period.

I bought new tires a few weeks ago and I've been avoiding the tire change calibration out of fear it'd put that damn message on my screen again. Today I decided to check for firmware and software updates and with the current versions of both it flashed without sending me the error.

Tuner
    Any solutions for this problem yet guys? Much appreciated, thanks in advance

Tuner in Training
    This is very common after performing recalls also. I am a tech at Chevy dealer for 16 years now. I'll try to explain this simply. All the modules in the vehicle communicate with each other on a communication network/bus there are several busses on newer vehicles. This specific issue likely resides with the Gm high speed bus or the chassis expansion bus. The major/ main modules are connected to the HS bus-ecm,tcm, power steering, brake module, human machine module, etc.. All these modules talk with one another and borrow data from them for various reasons. When programming occurs and a module is requested data from the module being programmed it will not receive the requested info and will set a loss of communication code. If these codes set in a major control module it is a big deal-could be a safety issue, the driver is alerted and the code will be stored until cleared.

To fix...you will need a good scan tool with more capabilities than the mpvi. I only use the GM MDI2 as that's what I bought for work but others may work too.

Tech hack- disconnect negative battery cable and place a jumper wire from the disconnected negative cable to the positive cable. This will create a circuit with the vehicle minus the battery. Many modules have super capacitors in them now and this will drain them all to reset the modules. Leave jumper on for 5 minutes then reconnect and restart. (Gm engineering has us do this all the time to unlock stuck or logic locked modules it's called a Global Reset)

Tuner
    Thank you, really appreciate the help. I'll give this a try as soon as i get out of work. Thanks

Tuner in Training
    Your welcome, my last post makes it sound like the hp tuners mpvi is not a good scan tool. It is actually a great tool. Just not made to scan and diagnose the entire vehicle. I've been using it at work because I can graph and collect data I want easier during a test drive. I have found several issues that other shops and people cannot using this tool and software. Gm engineering wanted me to send in the data logs for them to see but told them I could not because it wasn't their software. Sent one guy some clear pictures and he loved the interface.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HardH20 View Post
    This is very common after performing recalls also. I am a tech at Chevy dealer for 16 years now. I'll try to explain this simply. All the modules in the vehicle communicate with each other on a communication network/bus there are several busses on newer vehicles. This specific issue likely resides with the Gm high speed bus or the chassis expansion bus. The major/ main modules are connected to the HS bus-ecm,tcm, power steering, brake module, human machine module, etc.. All these modules talk with one another and borrow data from them for various reasons. When programming occurs and a module is requested data from the module being programmed it will not receive the requested info and will set a loss of communication code. If these codes set in a major control module it is a big deal-could be a safety issue, the driver is alerted and the code will be stored until cleared.

To fix...you will need a good scan tool with more capabilities than the mpvi. I only use the GM MDI2 as that's what I bought for work but others may work too.

Tech hack- disconnect negative battery cable and place a jumper wire from the disconnected negative cable to the positive cable. This will create a circuit with the vehicle minus the battery. Many modules have super capacitors in them now and this will drain them all to reset the modules. Leave jumper on for 5 minutes then reconnect and restart. (Gm engineering has us do this all the time to unlock stuck or logic locked modules it's called a Global Reset)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardH20 View Post
    Your welcome, my last post makes it sound like the hp tuners mpvi is not a good scan tool. It is actually a great tool. Just not made to scan and diagnose the entire vehicle. I've been using it at work because I can graph and collect data I want easier during a test drive. I have found several issues that other shops and people cannot using this tool and software. Gm engineering wanted me to send in the data logs for them to see but told them I could not because it wasn't their software. Sent one guy some clear pictures and he loved the interface.
    Good stuff, thanks for sharing.
    2017 Camaro SS, Whipple 3.0, Mast LT Black Label heads, 112mm TB, LPE BB HPFP & LT4+52% injectors, Fore Innovations triple pumps
    1059 WHP, 944 WTQ