Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steering assist is reduced. Please drive with care After flashing

How is this going? One thought I had. There is a Tech communication related to Electrical issues. Specifically a ground problem on 2016 Chevy's. I have a good knowledge of electronics from a 2 year, long ago. I can tell you a bad ground can cause unlimited issues as the energy tries to find its way to ground, any path it can find. Not saying this is it but, it is suspicious. I chased a ground issue on a Jetta once for months. Coming and going, doors won't work, then windows, then lights on and on. Anyway take a look at this. Maybe???

My experience with recalls is pretty good. It was part of my Job before retirement. NHTSA does not publish anything that hasn't been blessed by many. This includes the O.E. who becomes the source for the VIN's involved etc. It is the Fox watching the Hen House make no mistake. There could be many more things that are being kept quiet until "proven". This includes VIN numbers, complaints, and most important "The Root Cause". The thing the O.E struggles to keep under wraps. For instance.. the GMC follows the Silverado down the same line. Yet no problem on the 2016 GMC's? Not likely.

Anyway for what its worth.... NHTSA ID Number: 10113356
    https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2016/C...Communications
    Last edited by Robert C Morgillo; 09-21-2017 at 01:02 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Just had this happen on my 2017 5.3

First couple flashes, no issues. Now its stuck there. Common code scanners don't read it.

I had this same issue when I first got the truck while playing with a Range Tech. AFM disabled.

Only way I could get it cleared was dealership visit. And If I remember correctly, they were U codes.

Quote Originally Posted by JRoyPDX View Post

First couple flashes, no issues. Now its stuck there. Common code scanners don't read it.

I had this same issue when I first got the truck while playing with a Range Tech. AFM disabled.

Only way I could get it cleared was dealership visit. And If I remember correctly, they were U codes.
    How dealership remove the message ???

Quote Originally Posted by JRoyPDX View Post

Do you flash the ecm with revision like flash1-2-3-4-5. So you can point witch change cause this

Potential Tuner
    Most probably the DTC code is not stored in ECM but in the power steering module.
    A good scanner would be needed to connect to the P/S module and remove DTC codes stored in it.
    I usually encounter this when lifting gen V trucks and removal of P/S is required.
    DTC U codes will never clear without intervention
    I use an Autel for it
    Probably when the ECM is through its flashing process, P/S module looses connection to it through CAN and stores U DTC
    Last edited by qxz9027mkII; 10-10-2017 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by qxz9027mkII View Post
    Most probably the DTC code is not stored in ECM but in the power steering module.
    A good scanner would be needed to connect to the P/S module and remove DTC codes stored in it.
    I usually encounter this when lifting gen V trucks and removal of P/S is required.
    DTC U codes will never clear without intervention
    I use an Autel for it
    Probably when the ECM is through its flashing process, P/S module looses connection to it through CAN and stores U DTC
    an autel cant delete the message

i know gm dealership unplug a connector and the message dissapear

This issue is showing up on other forums. Persons who have done nothing to the programing. Looks like it might be something other than a "Re-Flash".

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topi...educed/?page=2

http://www.silveradosierra.com/uncat...l-t620666.html

http://coloradofans.com/forums/193-2...rive-care.html
    Last edited by Robert C Morgillo; 10-14-2017 at 07:53 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by elerico View Post
    How dealership remove the message ???
    I don't know, sounds like they're stored in the bcm or steering module.
    Last edited by JRoyPDX; 10-27-2017 at 07:30 PM.

Tuner in Training
    an autel cant delete the message

i know gm dealership unplug a connector and the message dissapear
    More info?

2017 Silverado with just a Dyno pull set the steering assist amongst many other codes. Which then I had the Steering Assist warning came back everytime after start up. Had to update Snap On Solus to current software to read and clear codes stored in the Steering Module, and others, - Codes were multiple lost communication to various modules. Truck has now been flashed multiple times without the reoccurring codes.

Long story is the Snap On Solus will read and clear the codes without troubles. This may help some and not others.

Happy calibrating everyone.

We should be able to remove the code with vcm scanner ?

I could not clear with HP scanner. Had to use Solus to clear the modules that HP could not read and/or clear, body control, steering module, etc...

Tuner in Training
    Do you flash the ecm with revision like flash1-2-3-4-5. So you can point witch change cause this
    My stock file will cause it.

When you flash a calibration it pops up immediately before it even starts "writing". Doesn't seem to matter what file ir revision you are flashing in.

Can't clear the steering communication errors with vcm or any basic scanner. Wish I could, because I don't own a Solus.

Tuner in Training
    Did this ever get addressed further with HPT? Any feature built into the software to clear it at least?

For what it's worth, I had this problem a few months ago along with another issuse. It turned out to be a loose connection at the harness AND at least in my C7 corvette, there is a auxiliary terminal strip underneath the main fuse box in the engine bay. It was also loose. This aux strip was fed via a branch from the battery and powered the steering and the fans.
    I always tune VVE....
    2016 C7 M7 Z51
    Callies ultra billet crank
    Callies ultra billet rods
    Diamond pistons
    Jhonson high speed lifters
    Ported and polished headwork
    Custom cam
    YSi-V7

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostnotes View Post
    For what it's worth, I had this problem a few months ago along with another issuse. It turned out to be a loose connection at the harness AND at least in my C7 corvette, there is a auxiliary terminal strip underneath the main fuse box in the engine bay. It was also loose. This aux strip was fed via a branch from the battery and powered the steering and the fans.
    Mine is more specifically related to HPT.

My truck is 100% fine at all times. It only throws this message when I perform a "write" from VCM Editor. It happens the instant the write starts, regardless of what the file is be it transmission or engine, stock or modified.

Potential Tuner
    Steering assist is reduced. Please drive with care

I flash the stock tune after. Same

Reflash entire. Same

Unplug battery same.

Can someone help me ??
    Did you ever get this issue figured out. I dropped my 2017 Silverado off at the dealership two days ago with the same issue and they can't figure out the problem. They just tell me that's it's a communication issue. I would like to hear from someone who found a solution. Thankfully my truck is still under warranty.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ss2715 View Post
    Did you ever get this issue figured out. I dropped my 2017 Silverado off at the dealership two days ago with the same issue and they can't figure out the problem. They just tell me that's it's a communication issue. I would like to hear from someone who found a solution. Thankfully my truck is still under warranty.
    There's no issue with the truck it's just sonething that happens when you flash a 17 with hpt. Clear the error, it doesn't come back.

I have no issues with latest releases. Flash the ECM and TCM with major changes without error code. I have 100's of flashes as the test mule gets beat on regularly.

I've had this happen and was able to fix it by doing a steering recentering. Have had to do it twice in the last year after flashes/other mods. Basically I would get the steering reduced error out of no where and then it would sometimes clear on next restart and then come back eventually. I use the VXDIAG to pull the chassis codes and do the re-centering.