Thread: 8 Speed trans issues after tune?

8 Speed trans issues after tune?

Anyone have any issues with the 8 speeds not liking an engine tune? Iv'e done 2 (both are 8hp70's), 1 challenger 1st with no issues whatsoever & the second in a crew cab truck that I did was fine for a day and a half & then developed a slipping issue so says the customer. The only thing I change with tq management is brake torque management & I haven't ridden in the truck. The customer works at a dodge dealership and after the issue occurred, he took it upon himself to overwrite the pcm with factory updates & the problem went away. We reflashed the .hpt tune and issues came back, customer is convinced the tune fried his trans, this is a first for me. If anyone has any useful input I'd love to hear it.
    99 T/A WS6, original LS1 turbo

You didn't shut off any trans torque management right? "USE SPARK, FSO" all that still enabled? If it is enabled still, it seems like a series of unfortunate events which of course you will get blamed for. I myself have had no troubles with any engine tune on an 8-speed UNLESS the trans torque management was disabled, which affects the shift. If his trans is slipping and depending how bad it's a separate issue if you ask me. Again this my opinion based on you can't tune the trans anyway so it's not like you could have messed something up. After he flashed with factory updates it may have performed ok during the relearn procedure but the adaptives should not have reset just by flashing. Have you confined by driving the truck?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Bee View Post
    You didn't shut off any trans torque management right? "USE SPARK, FSO" all that still enabled? If it is enabled still, it seems like a series of unfortunate events which of course you will get blamed for. I myself have had no troubles with any engine tune on an 8-speed UNLESS the trans torque management was disabled, which affects the shift. If his trans is slipping and depending how bad it's a separate issue if you ask me. Again this my opinion based on you can't tune the trans anyway so it's not like you could have messed something up. After he flashed with factory updates it may have performed ok during the relearn procedure but the adaptives should not have reset just by flashing. Have you confined by driving the truck?
    No I left all trans torque management in tact, he says its slipping pretty bad but I won't confirm till later on today. Trans has no codes according to him which is crazy, thanks for the input.

Did you get to drive the truck?

Did you get to drive the truck?
    No he canceled his appointment & rescheduled. He also called this morning and pretty much said he had been very rough on the truck, said he was just gonna see if he could get the trans fixed under warranty & let me reflash the tune after that. He was very clear that he wasn't blaming me for it so that made me feel a lot better. Something tells me I didn't get the whole story and that maybe it had preexisting issues that I was never told about.

Update, flash back to stock with factory scan tool, dropped the pan to inspect & replaced the fluid without resetting adapts and it's driving perfect. I'm gonna let him drive it this way for a while and see if it comes back.

Tuner
    I was going to say, I doubt you did anything wrong. I pulled all the AVAILABLE TM out of my Ram and it's shifts beautiful years later.
    Last edited by Dusty05; 03-20-2017 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty05 View Post
    I was going to say, I doubt you did anything wrong. I pulled all the AVAILABLE TM out of my Ram and it's shifts beautiful years later.
    Yeah would be hard to mess it up when you have no access to the tcu. I used to pull the trans torque management on the engine side until a dodge engine builder and cmr tuner that's been helping me suggested that I not do it so this truck was left alone.

Exactly, It's hard to mess up something you can't even tune. Weird things happen but it sounds like he may have had trans issues that were there before any tuning was even done. I took the TM out my personal car on the engine side to see how it did, I took one short drive and came back to the shop and flashed TM back in, drove like crap if you ask me. Car didn't seem faster and it seemed it was only hurting the trans (8-speed) as well.

Exactly, It's hard to mess up something you can't even tune. Weird things happen but it sounds like he may have had trans issues that were there before any tuning was even done. I took the TM out my personal car on the engine side to see how it did, I took one short drive and came back to the shop and flashed TM back in, drove like crap if you ask me. Car didn't seem faster and it seemed it was only hurting the trans (8-speed) as well.
    Yeah I leave it on, definitely doesn't make it any faster.