Thread: Annoying engine code.

Tuner in Training

Annoying engine code.

Engine light came on again today. Loose gas cap, purge valve, etc. I fix the problem years ago (rusted out sending unit) but when the weather gets cold the light comes on again. I went out to read the computer to compare it with the 1st scan when the engine light was off. But when I was done reading, I restarted the truck and the engine light was off. So I don't know if I scanned it with the code on because my comparison looks like the first. That's if I'm looking in the right place.

Question is, what is this code called, where can I find it and how do I kill it!!!

God Bless America ! ! !
    Thank Jesus

2007 Silverado NBS 1500 4x4 Z71 LT 5.3 4l60e

Couldn't tell you the code, scan the truck with the VCM scanner and look for history codes and see what comes up.

If you can find it, just go to the Engine Diag > DTC's page and then find the code in there. You can set it to "no error reported" if you do not want it to show up ever again.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    scan the truck with the VCM scanner and look for history codes and see what comes up.
    This is something I have to do in the truck? Because I opened the scanner in the house and don't see anything...

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    If you can find it, just go to the Engine Diag > DTC's page and then find the code in there. You can set it to "no error reported" if you do not want it to show up ever again.
    I was in the DTC's page, There are a lot of boxes with checkmarks and a lot of boxes without checkmarks. Some had no report, some with one report and some with two reports but I didn't see any with multiple reports. When I find the bugger do I put in or take out the checkmark?

Thanks for helping!

God Bless America ! ! !
    Thank Jesus

Yes, you have to be connected to the vehicle. How else can you scan the computer for codes??

Many DTC's have different settings for settings error codes, some that mean nothing or are not used in that vehicles OS are normally left with "no error reported" and no check mark to set the SES light. Sensors like MAF, MAP, o2 sensors are always set to show the MIL on second error with a checked marked SES box to display the code on the dash.

If you find the code you want to disable and never see again you would uncheck the SES box and set the code to "no error reported". Just click where it says first error, second error, no MIL light etc etc to bring up the drop down menu to change it.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

I'm guessing it is a P0442 code. If you have a stock evap system, deleting the code only gets rid of the warning. There is still a problem to address. Google your code with your vehicle and I'm sure you'll find a number of common issues. Of course diagnosing the concern would be best. However if your evap system is not stock, that my be your only choice.

Tuner in Training
    Ok I found the culprit. 5FDP, in your first reply you mentioned history codes. I don't see where there is any history, only if emissions is ready.
    And if the dash light went off by itself, why is the evaporative system not ready?
    IMG_0032.jpg

I went to the DTC's page, unchecked the box and changed to "no error reported". There are 9 different system checks for the evaporative system. Years ago when this problem started my truck didn't pass emissions, the dealer said it was a small leak detected, so that's the one I turned off.
    Just wondering, is the HP Tuners program not able to specify exactly which code is active?
    IMG_0034.jpg

Even after I saved the changes it stayed pink. I wrote back to my truck but after I closed everything and reopened, the changes I made went back to the way it was. I think I was in the VCM editor when I wrote it. Because I did everything again in the VCM scanner and my changes stayed.
    IMG_0038.jpg

Now I have to drive another 100 miles and make sure it's emissions ready.
    IMG_0043.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle_Customizer View Post
    deleting the code only gets rid of the warning. There is still a problem to address.
    I tried and tried to fix the problem, but no matter how much I wish it was better I can't change the weather. The light comes on only when it gets really cold.
    If I could use the remote starter with the engine light on I wouldn't care.

God Bless America ! ! !
    Thank Jesus