Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converted from DBW to DBC, how do I configure my "GMT800" Platform for DBC Now?

Converted from DBW to DBC, how do I configure my "GMT800" Platform for DBC Now?

I added the wires for TPS and IACV, and connected with HP tuners.

I see my platform is "GMT800" which I believe is the DBW platform.

How do I change over to the Drive by Cable settings? Do I simply change the platform to "fbody"? I am also using an Fbody 1-wire alternator.

Truck harness, 411 PCM, 5.3L truck engine.

I changed to "4l80e transmission" under one of the settings also, no need to do a "segment swap"?

Here is what I tried:

System -> ETC from 1 to 0 under my GMT800 platform

Write all,
    Read all, confirmed the change took place,

Went into scanner, Still no TPS showing up. The IACV was getting hot, also. Not burning hot, but it was quite warm after say 5 minutes. It wasn't moving at all.

GMT-800 is just a body style, changing to F-body doesn't do anything. 800's are 99-07 and GMT-900's are 07-13 body style. Being DBC or DBW doesn't change that.

Selecting 4L80e under transmission does nothing, infact it could make it shift worse. You have to do a segment swap to get the 4L80e tables into your computer.

Having not done a DBW to DBC I can't comment further on what settings need to be changed if your computer has the IAC drivers.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    GMT-800 is just a body style, changing to F-body doesn't do anything. 800's are 99-07 and GMT-900's are 07-13 body style. Being DBC or DBW doesn't change that.

Selecting 4L80e under transmission does nothing, infact it could make it shift worse. You have to do a segment swap to get the 4L80e tables into your computer.

Having not done a DBW to DBC I can't comment further on what settings need to be changed if your computer has the IAC drivers.
    Ok, thanks, i will do segment swap.

I verified pin 24 on red computer plug goes from 0v to 5v when i turn the tps sensor. So the tps is working.

it must be a configuration setting I am not getting. Do you have a link to any DBC conversion pages? I search the forum and LS1 tech and came up with not much.

I think there may have been a thread or two on performancetrucks.net, that forum has a decent information sometimes. Maybe try searching on there and see what comes up.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Should I Load a different OS Into the ECU? I read that I could load up a 2002 camaro OS for example. The reason I didn't already try is because I wanted to use a 2-bar map OS also. How does that work, would I load the camaro OS, THEN do a 4l80e segment swap, THEN load the 2-bar map OS? Or...

My current OS is 12216125

edit:
    alright I figured it out. When I typed the words in another post, : "the scanner says "accelerator pedal position" which makes me think its trying to read DBW position instead of TPS."

It hit me. That was exactly what was happening. So I just right click -> Add channel and found "tps position" and "tps voltage" and walaa, it shows up in the scanner now. So it was working the entire time I was just an @(*#@(#* sorry to waste your time for reading all this.

So my next step I think is load the 4l80e segment, THEN upgrade to a 2-bar map OS. And then off I go.
    Last edited by kingtal0n; 03-16-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Segment swap the 80E transmission AND transmission diagnostics segments into your tune and be on your merry way. You can see if you have a 2Bar/3Bar OS upgrade available under the OS section in VCM Editor. I opened an 02 Yukon file I have with that OS, and 2Bar OS enhancement is available. There's an 80E file in the repository you can use to seg swap the 80E pieces into your tune. Once you've done that, then upgrade to the 2Bar OS. I've heard you can go 2Bar first, then seg swap as HPT keeps track of it all, but I've only ever done the seg swap first then 2Bar.

2002 Avalance 8.1 stock tune w/4L80E: 2002 Avalanche 8.1 HPT Repo

Have you licensed your original file already? If so, just stick with that unless you really need to change the base platform because it will cost you extra credits to flash a different base tune in. If you're looking to just take your existing tune, 80E swap, DBC conversion, and 2Bar, you can do it all with the base OS you mentioned previously and the file from the repo I linked to above. If you go to a Camaro base OS, you'll have to repin some stuff on the harness and potentially burn more credits licensing it.
    Last edited by ScarabEpic22; 03-21-2017 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Change from Silvy to Avalanche
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    Segment swap the 80E transmission AND transmission diagnostics segments into your tune and be on your merry way. You can see if you have a 2Bar/3Bar OS upgrade available under the OS section in VCM Editor. I opened an 02 Yukon file I have with that OS, and 2Bar OS enhancement is available. There's an 80E file in the repository you can use to seg swap the 80E pieces into your tune. Once you've done that, then upgrade to the 2Bar OS. I've heard you can go 2Bar first, then seg swap as HPT keeps track of it all, but I've only ever done the seg swap first then 2Bar.

2002 Silverado 8.1 stock tune w/4L80E: https://www.hptuners.com/customers/t...download&id=60

Have you licensed your original file already? If so, just stick with that unless you really need to change the base platform because it will cost you extra credits to flash a different base tune in. If you're looking to just take your existing tune, 80E swap, DBC conversion, and 2Bar, you can do it all with the base OS you mentioned previously and the file from the repo I linked to above. If you go to a Camaro base OS, you'll have to repin some stuff on the harness and potentially burn more credits licensing it.

Yes, I believe every word! you are correct and that is exactly what I will do (4l80e segment swap -> 2bar OS, 12216125)

Thank you!

Segment swap the 80E transmission AND transmission diagnostics segments into your tune and be on your merry way. You can see if you have a 2Bar/3Bar OS upgrade available under the OS section in VCM Editor. I opened an 02 Yukon file I have with that OS, and 2Bar OS enhancement is available. There's an 80E file in the repository you can use to seg swap the 80E pieces into your tune.

2002 Silverado 8.1 stock tune w/4L80E: https://www.hptuners.com/customers/t...download&id=60
    I checked out this tune file and it says "allison" for transmission. I compare it with other 4l80e and its completely different. Are you sure thats an 4l80e trans file? What is Allison?

I cant find any 12216125 OS files with the 4l80e. I don't think there is one!

In that case, I will have to use a 12212156 OS. So how should I do this, find a 5.3L stock OS with that number and "write entire" then do the segment swap etc...

Also I am curious why can't I just copy manually the numbers from one tune to the other. Why is the segment swap necessary if I can just copy the details?

Gotta dig for this stuff sometimes.

2002 Chevy Avalanche with the 8.1/4L80e combo runs that same OS. Use the first one that pops up in the tune repository.

Gotta dig for this stuff sometimes.

2002 Chevy Avalanche with the 8.1/4L80e combo runs that same OS. Use the first one that pops up in the tune repository.
    !@*&$@ You are a LIFE saver. THANK YOU!

Alright so my next question is, probably silly. I think the 8.1 is a diesel engine. So, I have a gasoline 5.3L engine, I am sure the trans data is going to be *cough* wrong, for my turbocharged 5.3. My question is: can I simply copy/paste the data from another gasoline 4l80e 5.3l into my transmission sections? I don't see why not but I am new to this so I thought I would ask. I dont want to burn up the 4l80e with the wrong info, while I am learning how to "shift it properly". I have a 2800rpm Yank 9.5" converter so that shakes things up quite a bit from the big old factory unit.
    Last edited by kingtal0n; 03-16-2017 at 09:52 PM.

No, I wouldn't just copy/paste someone else stuff unless you can for sure say it's right.

The only thing you are doing is taking the transmission segment and transmission diag segment from the tune files and using the swapper to make it to be as if your "vehicle" had a 4L80e from the factory. It does not matter what motor was in it to begin with, nothing is going to make it wrong per say.

Anything else that you have done you have to mess with on your own, if you want more shift pressure or lowered shift time you must change that to your liking. Same with the converter, you need to adust any TCC settings to help you get the transmission the way you want it. Being turbo'd doesn't matter here, it's not going to burn anything up right away unless somehow you change something that makes it do it.

Anyone that does these segment swaps has to go through the same steps. The point as stated above is to make it so that your OS can correctly control the transmission itself without issues.

The 8.1 is a 496 big block gas motor for the record.

Advanced Tuner
    My bad, I linked the Silverado + Ally combo and meant to link to the Avalanche + 80E combo. Glad you found it though and thanks 5FDP, I updated the previous post too.

You cant just copy the values over because there are tables and code behind the scenes that we cant see. A segment swap grabs all of it and sticks it in your tune so it runs like it came from GM with a 80E.
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...

My bad, I linked the Silverado + Ally combo and meant to link to the Avalanche + 80E combo. Glad you found it though and thanks 5FDP, I updated the previous post too.

You cant just copy the values over because there are tables and code behind the scenes that we cant see. A segment swap grabs all of it and sticks it in your tune so it runs like it came from GM with a 80E.
    Now that I've doen the segment swap, from a diesel engine running the 4l80e, don't I need to copy the actual shifting info from a gasoline 4l80e tune file in order to help it shift correctly? I mean I will probably try to re-do all of that stuff anyways. The trans has a shift kit too which may help. But, I am still worried about "diesel truck programming" in the transmission.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kingtal0n View Post
    Now that I've doen the segment swap, from a diesel engine running the 4l80e, don't I need to copy the actual shifting info from a gasoline 4l80e tune file in order to help it shift correctly? I mean I will probably try to re-do all of that stuff anyways. The trans has a shift kit too which may help. But, I am still worried about "diesel truck programming" in the transmission.
    No, do a quick compare of your old file to the new 80E file. You'll notice that all the 80E stuff is copied over, because literally the segment swap moves everything (visible and non-visible) over from the source file. You will probably want to tweak the shift points and pressures, but they should be setup with the 80E stuff now.
    ~Erik~

Thanks everyone, I have a new question from today,

So I finally got the engine all wired up and started and run for a bit. I plugged in all the transmission stuff too. Now, I Notice in the scanner that the trans is always in "D4" position (no park, neutral, etc...) and the reverse inhibited says "YES". I think this is because I followed the wiring on lt1swap.com, which had me remove a bunch of wires from the PNDRL switch, except for the ground, and the plug with 4 wires on it I also left alone.

So the question is, will it be fine for now? Or will this completely screw the transmission up, when I Put it in say, reverse, or 1st, and the computer still thinks its in "D4".

Sorry if thisisnt the right forum, Ill ask in trans section , thanks for all the help guys !
    Last edited by kingtal0n; 04-16-2017 at 10:52 PM.

Senior Tuner
    If you removed bunch of stuff from PRNDL - you can change the indication to park/nuetral only and set it up so it knows in gear/out of gear
    Factory Stock 97 SS M6 13.51 @ 104.3 mph
    Stock Longblock LS1 w/ 233/238 P.S.I. Cam
    10.81 @ 126.9 Full interior, six speed on 275 radials, a decade ago

'99 TA trunk mounted 76mm 6 Liter
    9.0s in '09 @ 153 MPH

Turbo 5.3 Volvo 740 Wagon
    32psi and still winding out 5th on the highway somewhere

The 8.1 is a 496 big block gas motor for the record.

I had one in my sons 202 2500HD. I punched it out to a 572 it was a monster and the Allison 1000 had no problem with the extra power. The heads are absolute crap though.
    I always tune VVE....
    2016 C7 M7 Z51
    Callies ultra billet crank
    Callies ultra billet rods
    Diamond pistons
    Jhonson high speed lifters
    Ported and polished headwork
    Custom cam
    YSi-V7

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kingtal0n View Post
    Here is what I tried:

System -> ETC from 1 to 0 under my GMT800 platform

Write all,
    Read all, confirmed the change took place,

Went into scanner, Still no TPS showing up. The IACV was getting hot, also. Not burning hot, but it was quite warm after say 5 minutes. It wasn't moving at all.
    Hi i am in the same trouble that you were, i have a p59 with the right hardware to drive by cable, and rewired everything to get the tps and iac, but i dont know which segment i have to swap to be able to drive by cable, or i just need to change the etc from 1 to 0 under system ?

thanks