Thread: 2017 swaping the ecu to a 2016 to get around lock

Potential Tuner

2017 swaping the ecu to a 2016 to get around lock

i was wondering if i swap the the 2017 ecu with a 2016 to get around the tuning issues? looks like the 2016 have a different part number. i will verify if ecu plugs are different but suspect not. they are both e92.
    i am planing to buy a 2016 ecu install it and program it the an MDI2 (GM programming device) to replace current ECU. these ecu are not expensive about $200 for either 2016 or 2017. Has anyone tried this yet. would it be doable? would this get around tuning issues?comments please.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3camaro View Post
    i was wondering if i swap the the 2017 ecu with a 2016 to get around the tuning issues? looks like the 2016 have a different part number. i will verify if ecu plugs are different but suspect not. they are both e92.
    i am planing to buy a 2016 ecu install it and program it the an MDI2 (GM programming device) to replace current ECU. these ecu are not expensive about $200 for either 2016 or 2017. Has anyone tried this yet. would it be doable? would this get around tuning issues?comments please.

I have ordered a 2016 ecu and plugs are the same visually. we tried programming a 2017 ecu with an MDI2 with no luck. seem programming errors out when trying to program TCM lol. WTF this is what dealers use to program ecu (MDI2 new version replaces MDI1) i checked the version firmware of the mdi2 and it has the latest version of 2015 lol. so looks like dealers are also unable to program new 2017 ecu's until new version is available. i will be receiving new 2016 ecu tomorrow to replace 2017 ecu in car and will try to program. hoping it works.

Quote Originally Posted by obd2 View Post
    I have ordered a 2016 ecu and plugs are the same visually. we tried programming a 2017 ecu with an MDI2 with no luck. seem programming errors out when trying to program TCM lol. WTF this is what dealers use to program ecu (MDI2 new version replaces MDI1) i checked the version firmware of the mdi2 and it has the latest version of 2015 lol. so looks like dealers are also unable to program new 2017 ecu's until new version is available. i will be receiving new 2016 ecu tomorrow to replace 2017 ecu in car and will try to program. hoping it works.
    I flash the 2017's all the time with MDI2 no problem at all. The 2017 communicates differently and you will not be able to flash a 2016 ecm with the 2017 OS.
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

As mentioned above, a 2016 ECM will not be flashable to a 2017 OS. You may be able to get away with using a 2016 OS and copying over all the differences from a 2017 file, then applying VATS patches. Even then, it may not work and you will have lights on the dash at the very least.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by veee8 View Post
    I flash the 2017's all the time with MDI2 no problem at all. The 2017 communicates differently and you will not be able to flash a 2016 ecm with the 2017 OS.
    correct unable to flash 2016 ecu. when you use the mdi2 via tis2wed is it the sps function you use. i am still unable to flash new 2017 ecu

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer@HPT View Post
    As mentioned above, a 2016 ECM will not be flashable to a 2017 OS. You may be able to get away with using a 2016 OS and copying over all the differences from a 2017 file, then applying VATS patches. Even then, it may not work and you will have lights on the dash at the very least.
    thanks

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer@HPT View Post
    any idea what software version you have with mdi2 manager?

Potential Tuner
    i am able to flash existing ecu (ecu that came with the car) without any issue, however when i install new blank ecu it errors out E4491. check the new ecu and it is the correct part number for a 2017. make me wonder if gm is keeping track of something at their server. anyone have any ideas? look like will need to call GM tech support

If you are doing it on the bench, it will not write the VIN without communicating with the BCM with the correct VIN number of the calibration you are trying to flash.
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

Tuner
    If you are doing it on the bench, it will not write the VIN without communicating with the BCM with the correct VIN number of the calibration you are trying to flash.
    I am installing in car not on a bench. The mdi2 communicates with new blank ecu but fails writing at about 20%. With error e4491. I wanted a second ecu to send for unlocking the transmission.

Only other thing I would check would be battery voltage. I am able to flash the 17's no problem with the MDI2.
    www.crawford-racing.com

Quote Originally Posted by obd2 View Post
    any idea what software version you have with mdi2 manager?
    I use version 8.3.103.39
    www.crawford-racing.com

Potential Tuner
    I use version 8.3.103.39
    same mdi2 version here. did you ever try to flash a replacement ecu successful? the mdi2 flashes the original ecu but not the new ecu. i really appreciate your responses
    Cheers

Yes I do replacement 2017 ECM's. They will not finish the write including the VIN on the bench. It needs to communicate to the BCM and see the correct VIN number to finish the write. It will sort of hang up for a second, then all of a sudden finish the write process. Make sure battery voltage is strong.
    www.crawford-racing.com

Tuner
    cloned ecu work perfect. i can now swap ecu to original without any intervention from tech tools. i swap ecu to original and it start right up. so cool.
    Last edited by obd2; 04-28-2017 at 10:46 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Hey Guys,

Digging up an old thread here as this thread contains the best info I have found so far.

I am working to bench tune a new 2017 E92 ECU, I have created a bench harness, managed to get SPS to connect to the module and it appeared to complete its process.

As I plug HPTuners into the setup after flashing it with SPS, it now acknowledges a protocol on the ECM, but while attempting a Read Entire, I am seeing messages I have never seen before.

Its asking to select the Hardware, and the listed modules are completely unrelated:
    -Black Oak 1472K, Ford
    -Black Oak 448K, Ford
    -CM2100 Dodge Cummins 6.7L
    -CM2200 Dodge Cummins 6.7L
    -CM2350 Dodge Cummins 6.7L
    -CM849 Dodge Cummins 5.9L
    -Copperhead 2048K, Ford

Operating system is 12678648. It initially said "No VIN" on it, so I entered the VIN I am working with, but I still do not have a proper Hardware to pick from the drop down menu ?

Has anyone seen anything like this before? VCM Scanner will connect to it on the bench, reads 28 DTC's in the computer, but seems to acknowledge otherwise?

Thanks!

Bringing this thread back. Hoping you can help. I have a 2014 Silverado 4.3l gen5 v6 and have a gen5 6.2 laying around. Physically this would not be difficult compared to past gens, as it?s a gen5 4.3L to a gen5 6.2.

What can be done to get this to work. Will this ecu be able to take a 6.2 os? Or do I need a 6.2 ecu? Would I need the tcm and bcm out of the donor too?
    Last edited by nicul15; 10-19-2019 at 09:29 AM.