Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternative Microphone source

Tuner
    I've been saying that ever since people started using cell phones and cordless hones.

Don't forget most houses, hotels, and schools have WiFi, "wireless TV networks," etcetera, on high-power all day long.
    Last edited by guitarZ; 04-18-2017 at 07:19 AM.

Tuner
    I'm just wondering, but is it also feasible to get sound from a USB microphone?

I'm still trying to find one of those, but I think you'd end up using an OTG adapter and a normal USB microphone from a desktop PC.
    Last edited by guitarZ; 08-03-2017 at 11:28 PM.

If the Android system recognizes it as a microphone, it *might* work (try the "AUX Input" option for this), but I expect that will be hardware/system dependent and largely outside of our app's control.

Tuner
    OK, so I've looked all over to find a bluetooth microphone transmitter. One that will accept an external (plug-in, 1/8 inch plug) omnidirectional microphone without noise-cancelling. Unless you spend 100+ dollars, there aren't any. What you are left with is something like your bluetooth phone earpiece or headset, which have cheap, noise-cancelling microphones that make your car, exhaust, or whatever, sound like it's inside a pillow. Plus, it's designed to pick up voice frequencies, and the sound has to get through a tiny hole!

I tried recording sounds, like my voice, some music, and the exhaust of my car from various distances. They were all dull-sounding from the limited frequency response.

So I'd like to ask everyone if there is a bluetooth headset that has a decent full-range microphone?

Tuner
    So far, I've tried every kind of bluetooth microphone type I have: a BT speaker, an earpiece, and two stereo headsets. I was able to record some sound from each, but none were loud enough to discern what was making the sound, like my voice or the TV. They all sounded as if the microphone was covered by a pillow. So we need a way to increase the gain of a BT microphone (on a tablet; phones have their own gain settings that you can access.) BT microphones just won't pick up sounds outside of the range of the human voice, and most of then have noise canceling circuitry!

Tuner
    If it's possible to get the audio from an auxiliary source, like Bluetooth, can you also block the audio fro the internal microphone? My tablet records the audio from both, when you have AUX Input selected.

Tuner
    I was wondering how to record the AUX audio without the microphone microphone picking up sounds, and I found one of those microphone blocker applications. They actually do block the microphone from picking up sound while you use a BT source, but unfortunately, normal video recording crashes without the normal microphone on. Maybe there's a better way to block the normal microphone?

BTW- I actually did find a BT headset that will pick up the full range of sound frequencies, so I will have to change my opnion on those.

While Android does give us a few audio source options, none are specifically identified as being Bluetooth or external, and the options that we aren't presently using indicate that they are tuned for voice communications, so I wouldn't expect much success there for general audio recording. It's all pretty abstract, and doesn't give apps much direct control. Your microphone blocker app is most likely operating by simply opening a connection to the microphone itself, thereby blocking other apps from using it.