Thread: MPVI interface updated by 3.4.85 - can I still use 2.24 VCM suite to tune my car??

MPVI interface updated by 3.4.85 - can I still use 2.24 VCM suite to tune my car??

So I got both 3.4.85 and 2.24.1168 versions installed on my new PC.. Connected my mpvi interface to read in the license info for both versions of VCM Suite.. HOWEVER, VCM Suite 3.4.85 suite updated my MPVI interface without even asking if I wanted to, or to confirm the upgrade!!!

So.. can I still use the 2.24.1168 version of VCM Suite that's on my laptop, to read/write my Gen 4 ECM on my 2014 Camaro SS that I tuned with VCM 2.24.1168??? will that work with the new updated mpvi interface now???? Or am I going to have to update my laptop 2.24.1168 to the 3.4.85 version now to have it read/write correctly with the updated mpvi interface??!!!???

GGGRRRRRRR!
    Last edited by 06MonteSS; 03-26-2017 at 03:19 PM.
    06MonteSS

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, Custom paint-matched Bowtie emblems, Custom painted SS emblems, BMR strut tower brace, CAI - Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Bo White Ported/Polished throttle body, Custom DiabLew Tune

3.4 does not update firmware so 2.24 would still be usable. Why do you need to use 2.24 to tune this vehicle?

uhhh, yes it did update my firmware.. (last time I had updated it was a couple years ago when I installed 2.24.1168).. I had the mpvi interface connected to my pc.. and when I started up 3.4.85 and went to Help - VCM Suite Information and clicked on the "I" icon to "gather vcm suite info", it ran an updater and updated my mpvi interface... told me not to turn off pc or disconnect interface while updating, etc.. so yes, 3.4.85 did update my interface, I watched it do it...

and why do I need to use 2.24.1168 fopr my car?? because I know it works flawlessly for me and I don't have any problems with it at all when tuning/flashing my car... and there's nothing new in 3.4 really for my 2014 Camaro SS anyway.. "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"... so that's why I want to still use 2.24.1168 for my own car...
    Last edited by 06MonteSS; 03-26-2017 at 04:32 PM.
    06MonteSS

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, Custom paint-matched Bowtie emblems, Custom painted SS emblems, BMR strut tower brace, CAI - Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Bo White Ported/Polished throttle body, Custom DiabLew Tune

VCM Scanner in 3.4 is tremendously faster than 2.24 for your vehicle.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

I don't care about the scanner, I don't use it.. that is a non-issue for me.. I use different tools for data logging.. my main concern is the VCM Editor itself for editing/flashing/installing tune files to my car.. so will my 2.24.1168 VCM Editor still work for installing/flashing tune files to my car now that the mpvi interface has been updated by 3.4????!! or am I fucked now and have to update my laptop to 3.4.85??!!??!!!
    Last edited by 06MonteSS; 03-26-2017 at 05:24 PM.
    06MonteSS

Senior Tuner
    You need 2.24.1172

I'll PM you.

I have that version as well.. so even though 3.4.85 has updated my mpvi cable/box, I can still use 2.24.1172 to read/write tune files with the updated mpvi cable ok??? if 2.24.1172 works with the new 3.4.85 updated cable/mpvi, then 2.24.1168 should still work with it too, yes?

thanks man!
    Last edited by 06MonteSS; 03-26-2017 at 07:16 PM.
    06MonteSS

Wow.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 06MonteSS View Post

what's the difference between 2.24.1168 and 2.24.1172 ??
    About 4 I think.

Lol....

and thanks for the input there Dick, I mean DSTeck... apparently you've forgotten about your many DUH posts around here...

I don't use this much, except for my own personal vehicle... and I like when I know things are stable and won't kill my car, heh... I have read many horror stories on here about flashing issues and dead vehicles/ECM's, so that's not something I want to encounter with MY vehicle...
    Last edited by 06MonteSS; 03-26-2017 at 07:38 PM.
    06MonteSS

3.4 is very stable now, tuned several GEN 4 vehicles like yours and including my own with zero problems.

2.24 has so many less features than 3.4 that I wouldn't ever want to go back. The new VVE editor stuff is great 2.24 can't do any of that stuff without using some other tool.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

There are more horror stories because we have more customers and support more vehicles.

We have a lot more success stories now too.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

I believe 3.4 is way more stable than 2.4. The Scanner has come along way. There is always a risk, don't want the risk - don't play in my opinion anyways. why don't you practice using 3.4 on another device?

2.24 isn't even worth having anymore. My "wow" was in response to the hissy fit about it all.

I'll be curious to see these "duh" posts.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Advanced Tuner
    I sitll have 2.24 sideloaded on my laptop. I cant remember the last time I fired it up. And Ive tuned the same cars with 3.4 that I initially tuned with 2.24 (including my POV... 2009 G8 GT) and I havent had any issues. I would read a new copy of your tune from the ECM/TCM with 3.4 before making tune changed. Just so you can get the new features like disabilng that annoying injector temp offset crap... 2.24 cannot do that...............................
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4