Thread: External GPS accuracy with TrackAddict

Tuner in Training

External GPS accuracy with TrackAddict

The Garmin GLO suppose to operate at 10Hz
    However TrackAddict reports 3.5Hz and 5 meter when it shows GPS+

Without the external GPS, TrackAddict reports 1Hz and 5M.

What accuracy should I expect with external 10Hz GPS connected to iPhone? 1 meter?

What can I do for it to connect at 10Hz?

The GLO's data is reported to us via the iOS system, so it's unfortunately a "we get what we get" type of situation, as we don't have any control over it or any direct communication with that device. On iOS, the only GPS units that we currently get direct access to is the XGPS150 & XGPS160 from Dual Electronics, which is what our default "Enhanced" GPS mode enables. The limitation is a result of Apple placing restrictions on both hardware manufacturers and app developers. On Android, our GPS support is able to be much more open, because we get easy direct access for pretty much everything (as long as it gives us NMEA-0183 data over Bluetooth serial, which many GPS units do).

Some good news is that your real accuracy here is likely better than 5 meters; that number just comes to us via iOS, and 5 m happens to match the best it will give us for the device's internal GPS.

The reason you are seeing 3.5 Hz instead of its full 10 Hz is likely due to timing issues and potential data loss when the samples are delivered via iOS... Sometimes we might get a bunch of data samples stacked together, and we generally wont get the timing data we need in this way, so that can cause them to not all be counted and they wouldn't all be useful anyway. It also possible that there's data samples being dropped entirely before they get to us. Unfortunately, we're at the tail end of the process in this situation.

Tuner in Training
    Thank You

Tuner in Training
    Is there a practicle difference between the GLO and xgps160?

Quote Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
    Is there a practicle difference between the GLO and xgps160?
    Yes. Although some people have reported good results with the GLO, using the XGPS160 typically provides the full 10 Hz updates, and most importantly, we are able to get precise sample times for each of them. That's most useful for calculating completed and predicted lap times, post-race statistics, and smooth data playback.

Tuner
    The Dual XGPS 160 was designed for aviation use, so it has a much better design than ordinary GPS receivers. Pilots depend on it giving you precise coordinates so they land on the airport runway instead of somebody's house.

Tuner in Training
    The XGPS160 got a lot of bad reviews, so it is one of the reasons i did not get it. Has it gotten better?

Tuner in Training
    Returning the GLO and getting the XGPS160.
    Not going to fight the recommended product.
    At least i found out in time for Amazon returns.
    Thank you Weston!

I would suspect that many of the negative reviews were due to some reported issues with the XGPS160 in the past, particularly with its Bluetooth pairing (some versions of iOS seemed to be more difficult too). There was also recently a period where newer models didn't work with TrackAddict or some other apps, due to a simple change they had made which broke compatibility with an older version of their own SDK that many of us were using. The good news is that issue is resolved in the current version of TrackAddict, and I have two XGPS160's here (one old and one new) that both pair up and work well. It's the best GPS data that we have access to on iOS.

For an open platform like Android, I tend to go with the Qstarz BT-818XT, because it seems to be a bit more tailored for motorsports use, but the XGPS160 still works well on that platform too and remains a top choice. When provided with good GPS reception conditions (ie a big clear line-of-sight to the sky), either should be able to provide pretty good data, far better than a smartphone's internal GPS, and at 10 Hz instead of 1 Hz too.

Tuner in Training
    I have IOS (iphone 6plus). I should get the 160 tomorrow and will test connectivity

Tuner in Training
    Received the XGPS160.
    updated to Firmware 3.4.1
    Initially the SkyPro and the TrackAddict acted strange.
    Once I rebooted the iPhone everything seems to work great.
    TrackAddict is reporting 10 Hz and 2.5m accuracy. If even shows the battery status.

Thanks for the recommendations.