Thread: Pros & Cons to disable rear O2 sensors..

Tuner in Training

Pros & Cons to disable rear O2 sensors..

Hello All,
    I got a 06 TBSS and I am at that time to plug in a new tune. I was thinking of disabling the rear two oxygen sensors, so I can plug in my AFR gauge I'm adding...has anyone done this and what are the pros and cons to this???

There are no cons if you disable the COT and the post cat o2 sensor test/codes. On some vehicles unplugging the sensors will trip a cat diag test that you can not shut off, so just zip tie the sensors out of the way and leave them plugged in.

If you are still running cats, you wouldn't want to put the wideband behind the cat. I wouldn't want to anyway.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

^^^ um no.....

Just remove them

Quote Originally Posted by jc052685 View Post
    ^^^ um no.....

Just remove them

Go buy a 2006ish chevy or gmc truck and tell me you can stop the cat test from going off when you remove the sensors. Been there done that already. There is no way to shut off the cat test on some GM vehicles with HP Tuners.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Appreciate the response fellas...

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    On some vehicles unplugging the sensors will trip a cat diag test that you can not shut off, so just zip tie the sensors out of the way and leave them plugged in.
    As a matter of curiosity, have you tried replacing the sensors with an o2 sim?
    2007 Z06 (E38 ECM), stock LS7 short block, .030" milled/ported heads, PLX SM-AFR, MPVI Pro

Tuner in Training
    No I haven't...

I didn't try that and I sold my old truck a few years back as well.

To me it would have cost more money and not been worth it to try, it's easy enough to just zip-tie the sensors out of the way.

Tuner
    Fair enough. Ill be trying it with a sim here shortly on my Z as I'm going to temporarily borrow one of the rear o2 bungs for a wideband.

Im aware of the impact a cat will have on the WB, but for my purposes (ensuring theres nothing grossly out of line) the offset isnt a bother to me.
    2007 Z06 (E38 ECM), stock LS7 short block, .030" milled/ported heads, PLX SM-AFR, MPVI Pro