Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 cts vsport throttle closing issue

2016 cts vsport throttle closing issue

Yes I know its the v8 section but seems more of you answering over here vrs the 6 cylinder section plus the guys that know their shit seem to hangout over here more then browsing the smaller engine stuff. I see a lot of people fight this on trucks and corvettes boosted camaros so why not the 3.6tt in the vsport or atsv. I have tried maxing tables or just raising them. I have gone all over the whole tune from one end to the other and either I am missing something or the program is missing a table for this car. It seems no one has an answer for the atsv either as it is the same way and to control boost and torque it just closes the throttle. I am logging torque like 5 ways and can see delivered torque cross over both max engine boost torque and max engine torque and then it closes the throttle to 50-60 percent and never gives it back. On the ats 2.0t it would close for a brief fraction of a second boost would fall and it would go right back to 100 percent this car never gives it back. I have read many different threads on all kinds of cars and nothing has helped yet. So I need help from some one much smarter then myself or someone that has stumbled on it and can share.lol I have found a lot that way but not with this. So here is a current tune and one of the last logs. Car feels good at 50 percent but the brief moment of 100 percent in first it is a raped ape before giving up the throttle.
    The other thing is I dont know why but in the car the boost gauge reads 14-17 psi but the way I log my torque I put it in a histogram at rpm and kpa to see where it is for boost and it never shows over 125kpa? I do the same thing on my tahoe with a lsa blower on 12-14 lbs and it reads 190kpa the same table using the same log setup so why is the caddy only showing 125 kpa in the log? Just baffled all over on this car. two logs and a tune...Thank You
    3-25 ctsvsport no throttlepd lots boost dc.hpt
    3-26 17lbs spike.hpl
    3-25 good pull 14psi.hpl
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Tons of views and no replys but I got it either way. I guess this is huge for guys tuning atsv for sure and a tuner from Texas helped me out with one simple table that got me to 100 percent open other then when it shifts. Amazing why one miss labels table can do or it's misinterpreted by the ecm for what we think it will do. Sometimes I guess a fault doesn't have to show up and let us know it is there by setting a code or light. But when sees something a miss it will then apply such a table and drive you nuts trying to figure it out. Night and day on this car by doing this. Amazing thing is I have seen a couple major tuners that haven't done this in their tunes. Big time ats tuners not doing it but rather lowering torque coefficients to make it work which will burn up an automatic as I tires messing with it and trans got very lazy under wot which wasn't even wot but 60 percent so if was getting it would have really been bad.
    Now on to false knock which is also a major issues on these damn things.
    Last edited by lt1z350; 03-29-2017 at 07:37 AM.

2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

this may have been a thread that would have helped. ;-)

https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...re+ratio+limit from 2013! and no replies, so maybe it is a secret still?

another: https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...re+ratio+limit

Maybe post your fix to help people in the future with this issue instead of just saying you fixed it?

Quote Originally Posted by Harlech View Post
    Maybe post your fix to help people in the future with this issue instead of just saying you fixed it?
    the thread i posted was his fix.

Yea but I don't run anything weird on this car so most like myself over look it as no fault present. Funny thing is when I searched throttle issues that didn't show up. This is the second table I have found like this for turbo cars that say for a fault and affect it in a major way when no fault is present. I assume the ecm sees a fault when you start making changing stuff around. But then again this car never got 100 percent throttle when it was stock to start with. I think other tables like this are yet to be added as this car like the atsv is still not responding to boost settings as they are set and you have to inflate them dramatically just to get 4 more lbs of boost from it.

By the way the worst thing about this forum is NO ONE EVER Seems to close out a thread give the actual fix for the issues they posted it is very rare anyway. Most threads just go deadeith no "fix" which makes doing a search useless in so many ways. Then no one wants to answer the same question asked as many that are experienced see it as they should go do a search and find it. But yet half the time no answer is on them just people discussing their own person problem on that topic.
    Last edited by lt1z350; 03-30-2017 at 05:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lt1z350 View Post
    Yea but I don't run anything weird on this car so most like myself over look it as no fault present. Funny thing is when I searched throttle issues that didn't show up. This is the second table I have found like this for turbo cars that say for a fault and affect it in a major way when no fault is present. I assume the ecm sees a fault when you start making changing stuff around. But then again this car never got 100 percent throttle when it was stock to start with. I think other tables like this are yet to be added as this car like the atsv is still not responding to boost settings as they are set and you have to inflate them dramatically just to get 4 more lbs of boost from it.

By the way the worst thing about this forum is NO ONE EVER Seems to close out a thread give the actual fix for the issues they posted it is very rare anyway. Most threads just go deadeith no "fix" which makes doing a search useless in so many ways. Then no one wants to answer the same question asked as many that are experienced see it as they should go do a search and find it. But yet half the time no answer is on them just people discussing their own person problem on that topic.
    does the other HPT forum do a better job? ;-)

it's not easy to diagnose a torque model issue over the internet so it turns into a string of guesses and sometimes someone nails it.

GenV stuff is still brand new (magical even to some tuners) compared to say GenIII where you can tune one with your eyes closed before breakfast and all information has been discovered for years.

with that said, this forum has been a more valuable resource to me, especially when I was first starting out, than any purchased book, etc about how to tune properly. just keep in mind that when it comes to the E92 stuff its possible that no one knows the answer, there aren't tuning wizards sitting waiting for questions to pop up and they can write a paper in response.

I haven't seen any true consistency in what fixes a throttle or spark issue every time on every car with these ECMs.

Ive seen tunes on the Di cars that go against everything ive read on here or tried myself that work and drive great.

like what?

Like only dialing in maf, maxing out peak tq table and lowering engine tq coef. Car ran great, had a cam and blower. Couldnt sell the guy a tune because the car ran great, shift great, idled great.
    Last edited by meatbag; 03-30-2017 at 10:14 AM.

Wasn't just referring to gen 5. Like my 2007 tahoe I put an lsa blowecon it and it has terrible trans issues off idle or off closed throttle started a thread and other then one or two people no help one being ghuggins who has been a great help and I find him all over the place like your self higgs helping others and why I reached out to you directly. I have been tuning since burning chips for guys at third gen.org just for cost of parts to try to help guys just get cars running right. So when I have a problem it can be rejecting to get no help or read multiple threads that just dead end. And your right other then hptuners forum not much out there. As for books I have spent 200 bucks recently for stuff that might have one or two good tips. Hell took me two years of playing with my ats 2.0t to get good with it then traded it for this vsport because wanted more reliable car that had a chance to make more power off a good tune and this time not mess with changing turbos. I have probably given away 10-12 ats tunes to guys just to help them since I got comfortable with that car. We try to compile all this stuff so guys can learn and yet so many find the answer and don't complete the thread. Hell if I cannot fix it and been posting I will say I'm stumped or this is how I fixed it or give a very good explanation as it kinda bugs me I do this for free help for free and know plenty of people do it for money so for al my work to go into an answer then someone take that to make money on it and I don't. So yea maybe I don't give up everything in a post but will answer anyone that pms me asking for help as most tuners have a sig so can tell who is just out for their own car. I give back to those that have helped me tough even if they do it for money as I have had plenty of good tuners like Chris at rpm answer questions with out asking for a penny. I guess a lot of this gets touchy and sometimes I vent when frustrated over certain things on the forum. Sometimes the help you give someone sparks something else for them then they end up giving back something you might need down the road so if more took the time to close out a thread in the end it helps everyone even if they say I give up.

Meatbag you talk of lowering the torque coefficients I have seen this on some big names tuners stuff can you explain why this is done? I tried it some and seems to piss Off my trans more then anything with shifting weird.

Quote Originally Posted by meatbag View Post
    Like only dialing in maf, maxing out peak tq table and lowering engine tq coef. Car ran great, had a cam and blower. Couldnt sell the guy a tune because the car ran great, shift great, idled great.
    Depending on the car and how the rest of the tune is set up .....

Auto vs Manual, 2014 vs 2015 vs 2017, etc don't all work the same as far as I have seen.

Different driver demand setups, peak torque table affects the result differently, now we have Virtual Torque tables no one knows how to tune and if they say they do they are calling themselves artists but only finger painting with water colors.

The vitual tq tables have been nothing less than frustrating so far. Ive had better luck just hitting the engine tq coef tables with % changes than trying to edit them with the virtual tq editor.

Wasn't just referring to gen 5. Like my 2007 tahoe I put an lsa blowecon it and it has terrible trans issues off idle or off closed throttle started a thread and other then one or two people no help one being ghuggins who has been a great help and I find him all over the place like your self higgs helping others and why I reached out to you directly. I have been tuning since burning chips for guys at third gen.org just for cost of parts to try to help guys just get cars running right. So when I have a problem it can be rejecting to get no help or read multiple threads that just dead end. And your right other then hptuners forum not much out there. As for books I have spent 200 bucks recently for stuff that might have one or two good tips. Hell took me two years of playing with my ats 2.0t to get good with it then traded it for this vsport because wanted more reliable car that had a chance to make more power off a good tune and this time not mess with changing turbos. I have probably given away 10-12 ats tunes to guys just to help them since I got comfortable with that car. We try to compile all this stuff so guys can learn and yet so many find the answer and don't complete the thread. Hell if I cannot fix it and been posting I will say I'm stumped or this is how I fixed it or give a very good explanation as it kinda bugs me I do this for free help for free and know plenty of people do it for money so for al my work to go into an answer then someone take that to make money on it and I don't. So yea maybe I don't give up everything in a post but will answer anyone that pms me asking for help as most tuners have a sig so can tell who is just out for their own car. I give back to those that have helped me tough even if they do it for money as I have had plenty of good tuners like Chris at rpm answer questions with out asking for a penny. I guess a lot of this gets touchy and sometimes I vent when frustrated over certain things on the forum. Sometimes the help you give someone sparks something else for them then they end up giving back something you might need down the road so if more took the time to close out a thread in the end it helps everyone even if they say I give up.

Meatbag you talk of lowering the torque coefficients I have seen this on some big names tuners stuff can you explain why this is done? I tried it some and seems to piss Off my trans more then anything with shifting weird.
    It does cause the engine tq PID to read lower so you have to scale your trans tables accordingly.

Gotcha so your in a sense tricking it into thinking it is making less torque to keep throttle open and things like that. But on mine I don't have tcm support yet so should just leave it alone. But my 2007 tahoe I put a lsa blower on it and now the trans can get goofy on me. Sometimes coming off a light it will just choose to use lower shift points and a lot lower lockup point and when it does it the sucker blasts the shifts. It is always exactly the same when it does it my normal lock up comes at 55 mph and when I feel it bang the 1-2 I know I am going to get a 40 mph lock up every time. It is like it is on the fence with some table and something pushes it over and pisses the trans off. I have turned off all my trans adapt stuff all the stuff that sets high line for a fault things like that and still happens. I was thinking it might be the amount of torque being so much higher as 12 lbs of boost comes very easy with this thing and buries the torque pid at 640 so is it possible I might be able to lower the figures and maybe change this problem that is if it is what is causing it. Just never did this till did blower so only thing I can think of that would cause it. Oh and only does it in very light throttle conditions if heavy with throttle it is fine and why I thought could be torque related as so much higher even at low tps percentage.

Did you try raising the driver demand in the in Map B winter/4wd? I chased my tail on a 16 camaro for a while until I logged the Throttle Map and found out track mode was MAP B. Just looking at the tune those appear stock.

I did have all three matches in my current tune as I was doing that on the ats 2.0t with good luck and it felt better over all. Plus like all the power in touring as don't like always putting up with the hanging gear of sport mode. This does have winter mode as part of it so would think it actually worked on it but then again has a track mode too so four driver choices and only 3 tables for them yet sport and track act different.thanks for the tip though always up for new ideas even if doing them like to see what others have to offer. I will post a current tune. My issue now is can't seem to get up to 18 lbs and stuck around 14 no matter what I do to the tune.

Thinking out loud maybe the max timing table has now become a limit? That's related directly to throttle request and torque from what I read. So if too low it won't raise the max engine torque? If that's the case then just have to figure out max boost torque unless it does both? Will play with it this weekend. Maybe someone can comment on this.

Thinking out loud maybe the max timing table has now become a limit? That's related directly to throttle request and torque from what I read. So if too low it won't raise the max engine torque? If that's the case then just have to figure out max boost torque unless it does both? Will play with it this weekend. Maybe someone can comment on this.
    i have zero'd it and set the whole thing to 60 with no noticeable functional difference.

I am thinking on the e92 it will play a bigger part then older ecms as it is more torque based. I did it to my 07 tahoe this morning since I run a bunch of the zl1 tune anyway for my blower I figured why not try the zl1 max table and I did notice the throttle is definitely more touchy. Takes a lot less throttle to input to get what your wanting from it. Going to log timing on way home from work if not raining tonight and see if log shows more timing then my others or not. I am following another thread on this saying it is used for ivt calculations on the e38 which could move a lot of things around if that really got changed. So far I like it this way as long as nothing bad when I nail it and making 14 lbs. Higgs not sure why no difference on your vette if that's what you tried it on as my tahoe is a nice change. Will try cts vsport this weekend. Maybe if tune is farther from optimal it will make more of a change but if dialed in better then it won't as I do know my tahoe is really off right now going lean bad on tip in and rich when I let off throttle so know it is way off and sure your tune is probably close to perfect for your setup. Just a guess.