Thread: 4L80E torque management and WOT shift pressure

4L80E torque management and WOT shift pressure

I recently did a 411 PCM swap into my 97 GMC K2500 Suburban with 5.7 Vortec and 4L80E. motor is running great and I have been tweaking the trans tune every few days. I have the shift points perfectly where I want them, here is the tune so you can see what I have going on, currently running this tune. L31_suburban__trans tune 2.hpt I have searched and cannot seem to find these answers since most people just turn this stuff off, but I want to keep torque management for trans shifts. So I believe I have turned it off for all engine related scenarios, and I actually increased it for trans shifts, I also increased line pressure and shortened shift time. This trans also has a HD2 shift kit. I have TQM on aggressively during shifts to pull as much timing as possible,maybe it will bark like a dual clutch? that is the hope, it doesn't seem to be doing so. and to reduce shift stress because this thing weighs 6500 lbs. my first question is, am i missing something here? because TQM for shifts doesn't seem to be working to plan at least for all part throttle applications, I did take a log but I am not able to post that right now. Second question is, is there torque management for WOT shifts? it must reference a different table because TQ decreases at higher RPM when it shifts (about 200-lbft at 5200rpm) because it shifts really hard. I know the shift kit is adding line pressure, but I thought I could reduce it some with TQM settings. Third question is shift pressures, how come my shift pressure tables say they range from 0-200+psi and every other pressure table only goes to 96? Also is there a separate pressure table for WOT shifts? or at WOT does it just command full line pressure? If it commands full line pressure, then I definitely want TQM to do its job and pull lots of timing. the WOT 1-2 shift isnt a nice crisp shift, its more like frame twisting bolt snapping slam, and its way to aggressive for the weight and rotating mass of this whale.

File is tunerlocked and can't be opened.
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

didnt realize my editor was set to lock at default. This should be good. L31_suburban__trans tune 2.hpt

You have the trans input and output tables maxed out still on the engine side, you would want to bring those down to get torque reduction.
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

I thought those tables didnt affect trans shifting torque reduction. I dont want to limit engine torque at all unless its shifting.

Tuner in Training
    You say you want tm on aggressively to pull (reduce) timing during shifts but then say you want it to bark? Those 2 do not add up. Or maybe I am misunderstanding that. I have a base pressure table that I like to use, and then each shift has a modifier table as well. I keep those stock except for the wot section I max those.

By "bark" I mean i want the timing on the motor to be very retarded, to reduce as much torque as possible at WOT and if possible make it sound like a backfire (might be kinda cool) . are there any tables to reduce torque or line pressure at WOT? or does it just command full line pressure at WOT.

Torque Management for the transmission is a percentage lookup table. So the percentage you have inputted in table 15410 and 15413 is looked up on tables 12840 to determine the amount of spark retard to pull during the shifts. Now there are limiter tables that will only allow spark to retard so far so you'll need to make sure that table 12790 is set to lower than your desired lowest final ignition advance.

To lookup those table numbers click Ctrl-N on the keyboard within Editor and type in those table ID's in the search bar.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

awesome, thank you, I will play with that

Tuner in Training
    James explained the timing side of it, for the line pressure if you want to do it, you have a base table for it and then each shift has its own modifier table to the base table for said shift.

So it's a few ways you could do it really. You could set whatever pressure you are desiring in the WOT section of the base table and then 0 out the WOT section of each modifier table or have your modifier table to remove line pressure at WOT.

I would not go to low of a line pressure though. And as far as ( wot section of these tables ) the base table is set up like torque vs line pressure if iirc so wot section would be like the 520-640 ft lbs torque, i.e. All the way to the right. I can't remember how the modifier tables are presented.

Hope this helps.