Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truck 4L60e two definition questions/help

Truck 4L60e two definition questions/help

Truck - 1996 GMC K1500 4x4, HT383e, 4L60e, 0411 ECM swap, etc - totally restored from ground up,...........but got some "353 miles on new professionally rebuilt transmission" issues to work out.

Transmission issue,...4-3 downshift (under a 3/4's heavy foot) produces a hard/quick (yet very loud) shuddering type sound,... and trans appears to be slipping all the way up through 3rd. Trans performs fine through all gears when putt-putting around,... oil is smelling a bit burnt and I had a lot of metal flakes/black clutch material in trans oil pan when I drained/dropped it the other day.

I've already ordered a new Finish Line Transmission (Level 5/added Sonnax 3-4 input housing kit) and need to assure it not the tune causing the current transmission issue,... JimmyBlue and DiceDaLova helped me out by sending their stock 2002 Express van factory tunes (thanks guys, truly helped me out) and I ran a "compare" file,....and have two questions;

Question 1 -
    Under Transmission> Auto Shift Properties> General> Perf Options>
    Lists:
    No switch
    One switch
    Two switches
    Class 2

My current tune has "One switch" selected,....but, stock factory tune has "Class 2" selected. When I "mouse" over the tab, it says in the bottom description window "Performance mode option: Selects the performance mode switch type or method in use."
    I haven't a clue what this means,....can someone explain? How does this effect transmission operation and would this have an impact on my current transmission issue?

Question 2
    Under System> General> Vehicle> PRNDL>
    Lists:
    None
    PRNDL
    PN Only

My current tune has "None" selected,...but, stock factory tune has "PRNDL" selected. When I "mouse" over the tab, it says in the bottom description window "PRNDL Equipped Flag: Indicates if the automatic transmission vehicle is fitted with a PRNDL selector switch."
    Is this the park/neutral safety switch currently mounted on the side of my transmission (or the pressure switch inside my transmission)? And/or would this have an impact on my current transmission issue?

Sorry for being long-winded guys,....My current "new-beefed-up" 4L60 only lasted 353 miles/has current issue,....... just trying to assure tune is good/tested on this current trans,...so I don't burn up my new FLT trans headed this way in 2 weeks.

Thanks guys,...your help is truly appreciated by all us new guys. From your expertise, a lot of people may finally learn what these two things means as well. Thanks again guys.

Bump? I don't want to spank 4 grand before getting this nailed down fellars,....thanks

For you guys that want to know, LexTech (Jeff) helped me out,.....
    Question 1
    The "one switch" selection is for a tow/haul function switch,...in case you want to install a tow/haul switch in your truck to change the way your tune runs.
    Question 2
    The "None" selection is for us guys that swapped the stock ECM for the 0411,...and didn't install the 4 jumper wires from the ECM to the transmission (or back of gauge cluster). LexTech does something internally to the tune to eliminate the need for these 4 wires/ and thus the need for "None" to be selected,....I ain't got a clue what he does internally,...

I bought my 0411 ECM from him, with the base 2002 Express van tune already installed (to fit my truck), and connectors/extra pins/pin-out sheet,....for $170,... ready to install and go. Hell of a deal if you ask me. It was the easiest modification I've done to this truck,...basically plug and play.

question 1: perf option. some cars have a "performance" button on the shifter which will change the table the pcm reads, basically like a "snow (one switch)" or "hold" (2 switches) setting. "class 2" is a a switch which sends a class 2 data command to the ecu, i doubt youll have class 2 on your truck. i have none at all so i selected none. even still i changed all my "performance" tables to read the same numbers as my "normal" tables.

PRND321 is different for many 4l60e's. some, like mine, just have a neutral start switch on the column which means you can only start in N or P (and it also operates the reverse lights) some have a PRND321 switch on the shifter, the later 4l60e's had them on the side of the trans. and then you have the option to not have one. basically youre telling the PCM how its going to find out what gear its in. there are pressure sensors in the trans which can figure out which gear its in, but its not as accurate as a proper PRDN321. mines set to none.

both of these wont make much difference to the running. itll either work or it wont. you can check by setting up your scanner to read which mode the trans is in and trans current gear.

i had a HUGE woopsie with my 0411 swap, in that i didnt realise i was running a 4L80e tune on my 4l60e. the wiring is different between the 2, so when i was commanding TCC on and off, it was actually making 3-2 shift solenoid engage. it seemed to run ...ok... but it got HOT, REAAAAL hot. so it forced me to read and read and read since i was travelling 5000 miles across australia... 2500 miles in i did a segment swap and it fixed it.

id be keen to see your tune actually, mine is the 0411 savanna tune also from repository. once thing i did notice after the segment swap is that i was getting really bad 3rd gear slippage while overtaking (WOT), when i went into the force motor current table, the 100% column is 1000mA which means i was getting ZERO pressure when i wanted 100% so changed that to 98 and it seemed to help. im just not sure if i cooked 3rd gear by trying to apply it instead of TCC.

best thing you can do is set up your scanner and get logs. also, just humour me, open scanner, go into functions and turn 3-2 shift solenoid on and confirm it goes on. thats how i finally realised i had a 4l80e tune running and needed to do a segment swap. also if you select gears via the scanner, your "solenoid A and B" on and off will be arse-about

JUST NOTE: that stupid little dropdown menu where you can choose 4l60e, 4l80e or manual does sweet f*** all!!!! if you have a 4l80e tune, then its a 4l80e tune. a segment swap is the only way to change that setting. i dont even know why that stupid, misleading option is in there. it caused me MONTHS of grief.

1st Gear: Solenoid 1-2: ON Solenoid 2-3: ON
    2st Gear: Solenoid 1-2: OFF Solenoid 2-3: ON
    3st Gear: Solenoid 1-2: OFF Solenoid 2-3: OFF
    4st Gear: Solenoid 1-2: ON Solenoid 2-3: OFF

mine was:
    2nd gear 1-2 on, 2-3 off
    4th gear 1-2 off, 2-3 on

tune file
    26-03-17spark timing.hpt

scanner channels config:
    trans layout.Channels.xml
    Last edited by ari666; 04-09-2017 at 05:36 PM.
    1966 impala. L29 454. 0411 pcm. 2.5" twin system. comp cams XR282HR. ported heads. 1.75 rollers. 60lb deka injectors. bosch 044 pump. standard intake (cos' looks cool in a 66')

Thanks ari666,...agree, that 4L60/80e drop down box is bout as useful as a dead dingo's donger,.... does 5/8th's of f*** all. I'll try to post my tune/a couple run logs in the next day or so. I worked in Oz for bout 5 years,...Brisbane (Ipswich) water treatment plant, Karratha (WA) power plant, mine expansion out of Darwin, and finally in Sydney as a litigation team advisor. Had a good time,...good people,... pub by 5pm everyday. Those Crowny and James Squire "cat of nine tails" were good drops,...I must say.

Tuner in Training
    460LE Overheating after a 0411 PCM Swap
    I ran accross you post while for help on my issue, they sound similar.

I have a 1997 Chevy K1500 Suburban, with a new L31-R Crate engine and rebuilt 4l60e. I did a 0411 PCM Swap to add efans and tune for the cam and headers. I used a 0411 PCM from a 2002 GMC Savana 2500 with the 5.7l and a 4l80. I did a segment swap from a Chevy Express 1500 with the 5.7l and a 4L60. I brought over the trans and trans diag from the 4L60.

After the initial swap the trans shifted well other than the shift point came at a lower rpm than expected

I made a 25 mile round trip to a friends house. About half way there the truck began to no longer shift back to first gear after coming to a stop. Seemed like it was still in OD. I would have to manually down shift into first and then take off then shift to third or OD and it would upshift fine. But at the next stop light same thing again.

Would mine looking at my tune and log and letting know what you think, I'm quite new at this.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...qR?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance!!

Tuner
    Have you got the lock up release wired correctly ? can't read your tune file, but it's more a wiring issue. Mine can be felt to release and coast as soon as I touch the brake pedal
    Gen3 L59/4L60E LS3 cast manifolds, Small Cam change, 2800 Convertor, MPVI, using MTX-L for wideband tuning

Tuner in Training
    I will double check it.

Tuner in Training
    Here is the tune again
    Last edited by davkenrem; 09-19-2019 at 06:10 AM.

Tuner
    Does it have a 1 plug or 2 plug PRNDl switch fitted ?
    Gen3 L59/4L60E LS3 cast manifolds, Small Cam change, 2800 Convertor, MPVI, using MTX-L for wideband tuning

Tuner in Training
    2 plug

Tuner
    Try 2 switches and just PN in the set up and see if that helps ?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jsf55 View Post
    Try 2 switches and just PN in the set up and see if that helps ?
    I'm sorry, real new to this. I don't understand what your asking me to try here. Could you explain please?

Tuner
    In hp tuners go to Trans>Shift General>Perf option and change to 2 switch and in General change from PRNDL to PN only, it might be a wiring issue tho

Tuner in Training
    In hp tuners go to Trans>Shift General>Perf option and change to 2 switch and in General change from PRNDL to PN only, it might be a wiring issue tho
    Ok, I understand what to do now, question.. Why would this cause trans to over heat? Also did you look at my tune before recommending this. Not trying to snarky, just trying to understand why this would cause overheating.

"Lock up release" in post #7 above refers to the operation of the torque converter clutch (TCC) in your 4L60E transmission. In normal operation, there is a lot of frictional heating of the fluid inside the torque converter and the heating will be excessive if the wiring for release of the TCC is wrong. She'll overheat the fluid . . .

He suggests taking a look at your TCC wiring. For my El Camino, I needed a different brake switch above the brake pedal with an additional electrical terminal to control the TCC. This switch from the "PSI Conversions" people was less than $30 plus shipping and the wiring for it is quite easy.

Rick

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by B52bombardier1 View Post
    "Lock up release" in post #7 above refers to the operation of the torque converter clutch (TCC) in your 4L60E transmission. In normal operation, there is a lot of frictional heating of the fluid inside the torque converter and the heating will be excessive if the wiring for release of the TCC is wrong. She'll overheat the fluid . . .

He suggests taking a look at your TCC wiring. For my El Camino, I needed a different brake switch above the brake pedal with an additional electrical terminal to control the TCC. This switch from the "PSI Conversions" people was less than $30 plus shipping and the wiring for it is quite easy.

Rick
    Thanks all, I will recheck the wiring this weekend

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by B52bombardier1 View Post

Rick
    Thanks Rick, being UK based I had to source my parts as I went along, good explanation too !

Tuner in Training
    Are you refering to:

Trans>Shift Pressure >General>Perf option?

or

Trans>Shift Scheduling >General>Perf option?

Either way neither one has a 2 switch option.

Thanks

Tuner
    Trans> Shift General >Perf option> no switch / One switch / Two switch / Class2
    Try the 2 switch option