Thread: Non-stock 4L60e best tune/settings discussion

Non-stock 4L60e best tune/settings discussion

Looking for tuning discussions,......

From my endless reading,....seems people have conflicting tune parameters/philosophies for 4L60e transmissions with upgrades/shift kits,.....I'd like to test y'all's tune performance suggestions on my existing transmission,....and get it dialed in,....before installing the new Finish Line Transmissions Level 5 4L60e. Then report back findings.

Firstly, my truck is a 1996 GMC K1500 (ground up restored) with a GMPP HT383e, 0411 swapped, 4L60e, 4x4, 6" lift/35" BFG's, with helical Detroit Locker/3.73 gears. The engine/trans has been dyno/street tuned and simply put,..hauls tater (for a 4x4 truck, anyway),....but transmission is going out now,....thus, I'm going with a new level 5 transmission from FLT,... my existing 4L60e is new (only 353 miles on it), and has a Superior shift kit/Sonnax boost valve and beast sunshell, etc,....it's just, I've lost faith in my local builder,.....he's rebuilt it 3 durn times and still got issues.

I know I should do the 4L80e swap, but,....gonna hold off on that till my supercharger install in a couple years/retune them as a pair.

New FLT level 5 transmission has the following;

FLT machined performance pump (also has the Sonnax .490 boost valve)
    FLT sleeved input drum
    FLT (billet 6061 aluminum) overrun piston
    Sonnax SmartShell w/bearing kit
    I also upgrade to the - Sonnax Smart Tech input housing (3-4 clutch pack, 8 clutches with Kolene steels)
    Eliminating TCC PWM (going strictly on/off)
    GM 5 pinion input carrier
    GM 5 pinion reaction carrier
    Bearing style reaction shaft
    New reverse input drum
    Alto wide 2-4 carbon lined band with reinforced anchor
    B/W hi-energy 3-4 clutch pack
    B/W double caged 29 element sprag
    4L65 low roller clutch
    Corvette Servo
    Sonnax super hold 4th servo
    B/W clutches
    Updated aluminum accumulator pistons
    FLT calibrated valve body w/ HD 2-3 shift valve modifications
    Stock stall torque converter with an Allison hub/weld reinforced (don't need a higher stall - this engine produces a lot of grunt at low rpm's)
    Also installing a Tru-Cool 40k transmission cooler with -6AN lines (eliminating the stock 2nd cooler and radiator cooler - I live in Florida, thus not cold enough to run through radiator)

Seems some people agree/disagree on various posts concerning certain 4L60e upgrades;
    - shift times (some say stock, others say adjust)
    - torque management adjustment
    - some say with shift kit installed - set everything back to stock settings (others say don't)
    - torque converter locked/unlocked in 3rd
    - larger boost valve installed - set everything back to stock (others say don't)
    - lower/raise force motor tables
    - etc.

Considering my truck set-up and transmission upgrades, I'd be interested to see what you guys think is my best approach to tuning this sucker?

Thanks guys, I look forward to y'all's comments - I'll tune/test your suggestions and report back findings

Potential Tuner
    What has failed in the transmission? Has it been the same thing all three times? Also any plans for gear upgrade? 3.73 would not be ideal for 35 inch tires and a high torque engine as that puts all the strain in the transmission and t case

Thanks 355,...it's been 3 fold on this 4L60e of mine,....the first two were due to my local builder's "teardown inspected/admitted/supposedly fixed" issues,...
    This third one,....I think,....boils down to the TCC lock/unlock table versus normal shift tables set points,...few weeks ago, my local dyno tuner adjusted my normal shift speed tables, but failed to adjust the TCC lock/unlock tables accordingly. I got HPTuners, afterwards, mainly for the scanner, but,...found things not quit right (tune wise) from the research I've been doing.
    TCC lock/unlock issue meaning,....When I'm cruising in forth, at say round 50,.. and I romp on it, (it downshifts),..and I get a hard/loud/quick shudder type noise coming from the trans,..... the other day, I found a lot (and I mean a lot) of black clutch debris and metal flakes in my pan (with only 353 miles on this 3rd rebuilt trans).

Check out my other recent post "Normal shift tables/TCC,...what??" to see what I mean. I'm thinking, the TC lock is getting confused when I romp on it,...because,... it's set so much lower than my normal shift tables,...

Due to my newbieness, I've asked for help on the "general rule of thumb, on how I should set up the TCC table (from scratch)",....got some advice but, still not sure what to do.

I hear you on the 3.73 gears,...what would you think is best for my setup (please see my signature)? I'm simply looking for an all around DD truck that has some balls, but not over the top for mud-slingin/drag racing,....but still,..want some decent balls out of this HT383e (you know what I mean).

I tried BlueCats trans tuner spreadsheet (for the logic tables to set normal shift/TCC) but not sure if I set it up properly to assure output tables are correct/I ain't messed up,..due to newbieness,...

My focus of this forum discussion was to basically open the floor to discuss how others have tuned 4L60e's with shift kits, hardened parts, etc. I simply gave up on my local builder, thus, decided to go with the FLT I listed above (as specified with listed hard parts/shift enhancers),....simply tired of pulling this 4x4 trans out/replacing it. BUT,...trying to assure my tune is good to go on this old trans (before it dies),..before I install the new FLT trans mentioned above.

Apologies for the rant,....I've had a quite a few Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey's on the rocks tonight (man, that's good stuff),....
    Totally restored - 1996 GMC K1500 ext cab, HT383e swap, MPFI spider, 0411 PCM swap, FLT Level 5 4L60e with Sonnax Smart Tech input housing, Tru-Cool 40k transmission cooler with -6AN lines, 1-5/8" Hedman Husler long tube race headers with 2-1/2"ss dual exhaust, rebuilt 3.73 rear axle with Yukon/Detroit Helical locker, 6" ProComp lift with steering stabilizer and rear traction bars, 35x12.50x15 BFG All Terrains, Perma-Cool e-fans, etc, etc, etc,..

Potential Tuner
    Sorry I missed your reply. I'm a transmission builder trying to figure out the tuning side so I don't want to lead you astray there. Don't be afraid to go deep on the gears. if you do a fair amount of interstate driving at 65+ id probably go 4.56 but if its two lane 55 mph stuff 4.88 would be my choice. I ran 5.13s on 37s for a long time driving every day but I only live about 15 miles from work. Had a near stock 350 tbi and that truck was impressive power wise from where I started. Cruising the highway I still managed 13 mpg or just a touch less.

Cool man,...when I rebuild the front differential I'll decide what gears to go with,....I think you hit the nail on the head with 4.56/35" tires. That sounds good. I think I'll try to find a gear/rpm/speed calculator table (I think I have one somewhere on my computer) and play with that a bit in order to make a replacement decision. Thanks man.
    Totally restored - 1996 GMC K1500 ext cab, HT383e swap, MPFI spider, 0411 PCM swap, FLT Level 5 4L60e with Sonnax Smart Tech input housing, Tru-Cool 40k transmission cooler with -6AN lines, 1-5/8" Hedman Husler long tube race headers with 2-1/2"ss dual exhaust, rebuilt 3.73 rear axle with Yukon/Detroit Helical locker, 6" ProComp lift with steering stabilizer and rear traction bars, 35x12.50x15 BFG All Terrains, Perma-Cool e-fans, etc, etc, etc,..