Thread: 6.0 Tuning tips?

Tuner in Training

6.0 Tuning tips?

I have a 2006 Amarillo 6.0, the truck is completely stock, its never had anything touched! I have been looking at trying to tweak the tune in places to make it a better a truck but I'm a little afraid of pushing it too far as I can't afford injectors or headgaskets or anything catastrophic right now. I've pulled several tunes from the repository and have been comparing the back to back against the stock file from my truck. My main questions or how far can I push the injectors (mass fuel desired) and how much can i smooth out the factory timing tables (no boost vs full boost) before I start getting in deep water? I have spent hours looking at the timing tables and they drive my OCD nuts, it looks like a monkey swinging a hammer at random numbers as rpm and boost go up. I've spent years building gas engines and dyno tuning, and to me a gradual smooth timing curve off idle climbing to a max desired degrees at WOT full bosst would be more ideal but I'm not sure if the diesel responds to timing like a gas engine. Those of you that have actually messed with fine increments of timing on both street and dynos I would love some pointers or tips! I don't want to risk lifting a head or blowing a head gasket I just want to piddle with the tune to increase throttle response and get the max mileage while staying in a safe zone for factory TTY headbolts and gaskets. The truck is daily driven and I cant afford to get silly and kill it. I also want to keep it to an absolute minimum on smoke, I don't want to be one of those people "rolling coal" Its just childish, I'm not looking to make this truck a hotrod tire fryer, just a nice sounding dependable daily driven tow rig. Thanks guys for any advise!!
    "Negative GhostRider the pattern is full"

2006 Amarillo 6.0 PSD ccsb SuperDuty
    1987 IROC-Z Camaro--currently undergoing massive but slow build

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    10% fueling on the top end. Bump timing by a degree or so on the top end and midrange. Don't touch boost. You can adjust your high pressure oil tables to give more fuel but I'm still unclear as to how far you can push on stock bolts.

Tuner in Training
    The timing tables are a mess with some pretty concerning swings in timing across the RPM band, I'm considering averaging the tables between no boost and full boost then making the tables a nice steady increase from base timing up to max around 2000-2200 RPM which is where the engine is rated to make max power under full boost. I think keeping the timing at or a few degrees under factory numbers should give me a smooth engine pull and not strain the factory head bolts.
    "Negative GhostRider the pattern is full"

2006 Amarillo 6.0 PSD ccsb SuperDuty
    1987 IROC-Z Camaro--currently undergoing massive but slow build