Thread: Cannot install on latest version of MacOS (sierra)

Potential Tuner

Cannot install on latest version of MacOS (sierra)

I have a 2016 MacBook Pro and Sierra version of MacOS ... when I try to install RaceRender the installer seems to run fine but I end up with no copy of the app in my applications folder. The RaceRender folder in Documents does not contain an executable.

The installer at the beginning says:

"If the program does not seem to install in your system's Applications folder, then please just run this installer again. In some cases, it may help to reboot your system."

I have tried rebooting and running installer several times. What's going on here?

This is a weird issue that we see on Mac from time to time, and it only seems to affect certain systems, but it's unclear why... It may be related to a resource contention or user permissions, but that still might not explain all of the situations. The easiest solution is to use the manual install package from here: http://racerender.com/RR3/RaceRender356.zip

There's a Read Me file inside it with install instructions, but it's a pretty simple process on Mac... All you need to do is drag & drop the RaceRender 3 application into your system Applications folder, and then drag & drop the RaceRender 3 folder into your user Documents folder. If you start RaceRender and have a blank (or black) New Project menu, then that second step was not done correctly. You can ignore the RaceRender.exe and .dll files, as those are for the Windows version.

Potential Tuner
    Hi, I have tried to reinstall 3 times and I just can't get it to work. I have followed the directions three separate times and it still gives me the message Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 9.58.03 PM.png. I am running yosemite 10.10.5

Help please. This is very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
    Hi, I have tried to reinstall 3 times and I just can't get it to work. I have followed the directions three separate times and it still gives me the message Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 9.58.03 PM.png. I am running yosemite 10.10.5

Help please. This is very frustrating.
    Ok, this just indicates that the "RaceRender 3" documents folder (which contains Styles, Templates, etc.) was not found in your user account's "Documents" folder. You may have inadvertently placed it into the system's main Documents folder, which is different.

Your Mac will have a system-level "Applications" and "Documents" folder (which will be directly under "Macintosh HD", or whatever your main hard drive is named), and then it will also have a user-level "Applications" and "Documents" folder (which will be under your user home directory).

You will usually want to put the "RaceRender 3" application file into the system-level "Applications" folder. Although your user Applications folder may also work, we don't normally put it there because it's not consistent with how most apps are installed on Mac, and I also remember some odd issues getting it to show up in Launchpad that way.

But in either case, the "RaceRender 3" documents folder (the one that contains Styles, Templates, etc.) must be placed in the user account's "Documents" folder, not the system-level Documents folder. This is so that you can add or modify templates and styles with your user-level permissions.

Potential Tuner
    Hey Guys, it are still happening. I had to download this zip version. Please, put this zip version as an option on download site.
    tks

The .ZIP install package is linked on the left as the "Manual Install Package" on our download page: http://RaceRender.com/RR3/Download.html

Upon choosing to download the normal Mac installer, you'll also see a message informing you of this alternative option.