Thread: Going carb? 4l80e 4l60e stand alone.

Going carb? 4l80e 4l60e stand alone.

Has any one ever kept the factory ecu and went carb while keeping the needed sensors to provide shift points .TPS iat map rpm ect? Think its possible?

Advanced Tuner
    Im sure its possible TPS would be your most important sensor to retain. Think of it in a sense like your kick-down cable. full open means high rpm shifts/or high load downshifts. I have a friend running a carbed SBF/4r70w setup in a 67 ford ranger truck he is using a TPS to control a standalone transmission controller. its rather basic though with only shift rpm, shift firmness and other small adjustments. He cant even control his TCC with the unit. Works for him because he is a pretty basic fella not interested in the tuning portion of the truck. shit he has probably only taken the truck out of the garage twice since he had it built. point being i know there are devices out there built to control electronically shifted transmissions. Now the price of said units are probably a hefty chunk of change out of the regular carbed sbc guys pocket. Or anyone's pocket for that matter.

I think it could work too. I have a spare licensed ecm maybe ill pop it in my other truck and see.

Potential Tuner
    I did something like this a few years ago. I had a 406 gen 1 SBC that I already had running on Big Stuff 3 EFI that I didn't originally get with transmission control capability, and I put a 4l80E onto this. I had a PCM from an S10, and the only sensors I had hooked up were crank and TPS. It was able to control shifts perfectly. The TCC seemed tempermental though (possibly due to my inexperience in tuning with HP Tuners at the time) and I ended up just using a toggle switch in the console for that.

Tuner in Training
    I am in need of assistance with a carb'd 454 hooked up to a 4L80e. This setup is in a 69 Camaro... I have installed a TPS sensor on the Holley 770 and wired the transmission. The engine is from 78-82, which means there is no place for a crank position sensor. I have an HEI distributor that I could take the tach signal from if need be... question is: can I get this setup to work with just a TPS sensor on my 411 pcm if I turn off all other items in the OS? IF not then how do I get it to work???

Quote Originally Posted by trevorlee02 View Post
    I am in need of assistance with a carb'd 454 hooked up to a 4L80e. This setup is in a 69 Camaro... I have installed a TPS sensor on the Holley 770 and wired the transmission. The engine is from 78-82, which means there is no place for a crank position sensor. I have an HEI distributor that I could take the tach signal from if need be... question is: can I get this setup to work with just a TPS sensor on my 411 pcm if I turn off all other items in the OS? IF not then how do I get it to work???
    You shouldnt need a Cps to control a transmission I would think, Tach , tps , coolant temp(maybe not even CTS), vehicle speed sensor, would be the ones I would think it would need. CPS is for timing and injectors. Wire those up and tell us how it goes im interested. Your going to have to most likely turn off allot of SES lights so it doesnt go into limp mode.
    BBC does have a spot for ever sensor the LS1 engine uses. I use a simlar kit with ls1 mpfi and coil over plug on a gen 1 turbocharged 383 sbc.
    https://www.eficonnection.com/home/c...ne/efi-24x-bbc
    Last edited by Mrich0908; 06-29-2017 at 08:51 AM.