Thread: 94' F350 with an 03' Cumins transplant

94' F350 with an 03' Cumins transplant

Hello HP'ers! We have a customer that brought us a 1994 F350. The customer had a drive train swap with a 2003 Dodge 3500 with a 5.9L Cummins and 4 speed transmission. The Dodge PCM was installed and wired into the Ford harness. The engine originally would not accelerate and the transmission would not shift. We corrected the fuel supply and transmission control issues; however, the MIL was on with about eight codes relating to devices the PCM was looking for that no longer exist. We purchased our HP Tuner to eliminate these codes so the vehicle can be smog certified in California. We were able to eliminate all but one trouble code. We still receive code # P 1687 (No CCD/J1850 messages received from the Mechanical Instrument Cluster (MIC) Module). The original Ford instrument cluster is installed in the vehicle. We also cannot find this code (and hence, a way to disable it) in the HP Tuner's code index. Being brand new to the HP Tuner, am I missing something? It is the last step needed before I can deliver this vehicle to my customer.

Thank you in advance for any help received!

Dan Fuller
    Maximum Diesels
    Last edited by 1345814645; 04-14-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Its possible without using hp tuners, but then you are out of luck because im pretty sure hp tuners still uses just a generic file for that truck, and doesnt actually "read" what is in the ecm.

Thank you for your reply. I have researched this very extensively. The PCM is searching for messages from the Dodge instrument cluster on the network. When it does not receive a status from the instrument cluster, it sets the code # P 1687. We have found a hardware workaround that involves about $800 worth of generic J 1850 modules, programming software and many hours of code hunting to cause the module to "act" as the instrument cluster by sending out periodic messages. It can also receive the code from he PCM to turn on and off the MIL and trigger an LED. The customer has opted to wait on this for the time being.

Dan Fuller
    Maximum Diesels

Potentially with version 3.5 and User Defined Parameters, you will have the ability to turn that error code off.

Is there any idea of a release date for 3.5? I haven't had much time to keep up with the website here.

Dan Fuller
    Maximum Diesels

Didn't they just release the new update yesterday?
    2003 Cummins SRW LWB QC 4x4 NV5600 305/555