Thread: Timing calculator for 2010 Cummins

Timing calculator for 2010 Cummins

I was wondering if there was a timing calculator for the CM2200 ECM (or 2010 cummins)? I downloaded the excel sheet for the 03-08 cummins, but I have not been able to correlate the tables.

Cheers,

Jared

Download Efilive, it has a built in timing calculator. Very easy to use. Then you can copy and paste your tables over to HPtuners.

I have read that to use the EFI Live timing calculator, you must have a V2. I downloaded the software, but was unable to find the timing calculator. Any help?

You have to open up a tune file. Then go to internal flash, injection timing, main injection, main timing base table. Then over in the right hand box will be a button that's labeled calculator. It will tell you the current timing calculation in percentage of fuel injected before tdc. I find it way easier to build the tunes in efilive, the tools are way better for creating nice tables. I make almost all of my tables in efilive and then copy/transpose them over to hptuners. Have fun!

Potential Tuner
    jfreemanak, I ent you a PM.

Also, for anyone interested, I have a timing calc for MCC that may translate to HPT, but I don't know if the tables are laid out the same (haven't compared) to allow copy/paste without transposing axis'

Excel makes transposing pretty easy as well as resizing tables.

Right click, paste special, transpose.
    2003 QC Long Flat Bed 6spd, Intake, Exh, Heavy Valve Springs, HE351VE Arduino

Potential Tuner
    Question: I have a 2010 6.7 cummins my buddy has a HP tuner he uses for racing his mustang. We were wondering if he can hook up the tuner and All I want done is my EGR DPF & CAT deleted. Will his tuner do this and will we run into any issues?

The VCM software will not provide the functionality to remove the emissions equipment (just like EFI Live software for the 2010+ trucks). However, with the release of 3.6 and User Defined Parameters, one can potentially provide this function. Now all you need do is know the address to turn everything off... that is the secret squirrel stuff.

On the timing calculator topic, I would like to make on note on the injection pressure table (at least for the CM2200 controller). The main injection pressure table is multiplied by the ECT correction table (which in turn is multiplied by the ECT Multi table). Looking at everything as a system, most of the time the injection pressure will be whatever limit has been applied (1800bar in my case). So, I would just copy the max pressure in all the cells for the injection pressure table to get a more representative timing table.

Potential Tuner
    hi guys, im trying to figure out timing calculator, last night i installed a tune that had pretty good power on it, great throttle response, but was a lil smoking from what i could see, looked a bit hazy with grayish white smoke at idle, im figuring with the amount of fuel i added it not the correct timing to burn it, im working on getting a wideband to install to check afr idk if thats gonna help me or not. back to the timing i went to efi live to use timing calculator but im not understanding how to know what percentage to change everything to on rpm vs fuel quantity fuel pulse map. willing to learn the correct ways

Banned
    There isn?t really any magic numbers with a timing calculator. Some key points, upper rpm/fuel region exercise caution going beyond 50% BTDC on timing, cruise region timing can be much higher, look at stock, on a 5.9 common rail it?s like 300% BTDC, but depending on your setup you can likely have good results with considerably less timing in the cruise region. Spool region, depending on your intended use of the tune you will want a ?valley? in timing to help direct more of the heat from the combustion be hotter coming out the exhaust valves to help spool the turbo up more then at the rpm/fueling your turbo lights up rapidly ramp up timing. Your haze at idle is possibly a combination of rail pressure and timing and if you have larger injectors that would be a factor as well.

Potential Tuner
    everything is stock on this truck,except the exhaust, its 08 dodge 6.7, i wrote a mild tune like 20%, has decent power, very little smoke while accelerating very good daily driver tune possibly. the second tune id maybe call wild i wrote kinda like 40% up on fuel tables, i was very progressive on this not just 40% across the board, tune would just be on race tune. the wild one like i said is a lil hazy big increase in power and acceleration. im sure its timing based on the fact i added so much fuel and never touched timing, figure the fuel isnt being burned, if i shared the tune file id be gratuitous on any input, thanks for help jim. ill try to play with the efilive timing calculator i just dont wanna ruin an engine with to much timing

Banned
    Stick with 48-50% BTDC in the upper region and should be fine. Timing could possibly be a factor in the haze but fueling could be as well, possible combination of both. Might be a bit different on the 6.7L but I find with the 5.9L in the low to low-mid region if pulse width exceeds approximately 1000-1050us it starts to get smokey as the turbo isn?t pushing enough air quite yet, may want to try upping rail pressure. Higher rail pressure gets fuel out quicker and burns better/cleaner on the hard throttling and is better to use higher rail pressure in the higher rpm range to pump out more fuel as in the higher rpm region you window to inject fuel gets shorter.