Thread: Potential for 2015-up EcoBoost Mustang?

Potential for 2015-up EcoBoost Mustang?

I've seen some wicked EcoBoost Mustang setups in the 9s, 10s, and 11s for the 1/4 mile. It got me wondering what they are capable of with all stock hardware and just with a tune and some E85? Does anyone have the compressor map or airflow limit for the stock turbo on the Mustang? What kind of turbo does it use from the factory?

They may have changed suppliers but the originial turbos were produced by Honeywell. VMP Performance has a lot of experience with EcoBoost engines on E85. Give them a call and talk to BJ McCarty or Alex -OR- You can purchase a new EcoBoost Mustang for $33,000 that has 550 HP:http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...tang-ecoboost/
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C
    Turbo/NOS Hayabusa - 320RWHP

I'm just curious how much power I can grab out of the stock hardware with my own tuning, or at least get the turbo specs.

It looks like the stock airflow limits are about 45 #/min. Is this accurate for the stock turbo?

Senior Tuner
    A company is claiming the record at 340hp and just over 400ftlb of torque. People are pushing 22-23 psi with the stock turbo. They were having to upgrade the Wastegate/spring to get to those numbers also upgrade the intercooler. I think with the direct injection people are resorting to meth injection for fuel even in the stock turbo.

It's a Garrett by Honeywell MGT2260sz the cloest chart I would guess to be the GT2260s
    https://www.turbo-total.com/media/im...S-Kennfeld.jpg
    Last edited by murfie; 04-17-2017 at 05:49 PM.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    i would upgrade the stock turbo and intercooler and see great gains at low boost
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner in Training sixvi6-camaro's Avatar
    Stock fuel system does not have the headroom to run on E85. So without an aux fuel system it's not an option. Generally 22-24 psi With a good FMIC and Conservative safe Tuming you can reach 340whp fuel system limited on stock turbo, stock fuel system, and pump gas. Add water/meth you will max out the turbo around 350-360whp. Big turbo with stock fuel system around 400-450 fuel system limited. Anything over 350whp -400wph, depending on who you talk to, is pushing the limit of the stock block.
    -- John --
    15 EB Mustang 2001 Z28 Camaro

It's been almost a year, but I thought I'd add this. I plotted the compressor map from the stock EcoStang tune, and the choke line/58% efficiency line at the boost levels you guys are talking about ends up being just over 40 lb/min flow on the stock turbos. This lines up with what you've been saying, about 24 psi at 40.6 lb/min or roughly 400 hp.

Advanced Tuner
    You start getting "insufficient fuel flow" from 300whp, the stock intercooler will not suffice even at stock boost, the pcv system is not adequate for this engine, when you eliminate the catalytic it will smoke at idle supposedly the dual valve catch can from upr replaces the stock pcv valve will fix this issue, but for me it hasn't been the case.

My fastest pass to date was 12.7@107mph on 80*F and 80% humidity on 100 oct fuel with no ethanol
    Last edited by mJolnir; 04-16-2018 at 04:23 PM.

Interesting... 12.7 @ 107 is about what the milder Fusion Sport tunes are running. Can you do anything about the spark advance with higher octane fuels/E85?

I know it isn't a Mustang, but what about the 2.3 EcoBoost on the newer Explorers? Stock is 280 hp. I'm guessing they are detuned from the factory a bit, or they are using different parts like turbochargers. Would they still be limited to about 300 whp?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
    Interesting... 12.7 @ 107 is about what the milder Fusion Sport tunes are running. Can you do anything about the spark advance with higher octane fuels/E85?

I know it isn't a Mustang, but what about the 2.3 EcoBoost on the newer Explorers? Stock is 280 hp. I'm guessing they are detuned from the factory a bit, or they are using different parts like turbochargers. Would they still be limited to about 300 whp?
    From what i see around 350whp is the stock fuel system limit (on the mustangs) the problem i had was that the cars would go into overboost mode when the throttle closed for gear change, with the latest beta that was solved.

With a high flow cat it will see 25psi and then taper down to 22psi at redline, at that point even with the cobb intercooler installed charge temp started going up so by the top of 4th it goes down to 20 psi (you can see my log in the thread i opened)

focus RS has a slightly bigger turbo, after that you have to go aftermarket.

Having individual knock for each cylinder is a bit confusing for me, most of the the times i have 2 showing negative retard while the other two showing advance so i tend to let the knock sensors add the extra timing
    Last edited by mJolnir; 05-12-2018 at 11:31 AM.

with a aftermarket Turbocharger, you can hold big boost till redline. I used a VARGAS Stage 2 with the stock fuel system. you can see, the HP fuel pump DC don't rise up more than 80%
    if you hold the TIP act. and the TIP des. error below the limit, you don't get over/underboost conditions

EB_RUN.jpg

Am I reading your log correctly, your MCT (IAT2) is cooler than IAT?? Do you have an aftermarket intercooler? That bigger turbo seems to work very well, 48 lb/min!

yes, its a big aftermarket intercooler (19L volume), but the MCT is always hotter than the IAT.
    the big limitation is our fuel. In Germany we only have 98 Octan Ron. equal 93 Oct US fuel. E85 does have much more potential.

I was logging at the graphs, just realized you scaled them all differently so the IAT looked hotter. But wow, that intercooler is working really well!

yes I saw, the values was different scaled.
    wagner EVO II.jpg