Thread: Why does my ignition advance spike to 46* then drop to 5* at the end of 1/4 mile?

Advanced Tuner

Why does my ignition advance spike to 46* then drop to 5* at the end of 1/4 mile?

At around the 2 minute and 32.5 second mark in my log(12:37:49 pm), I am finished the quarter mile run in my final gear (3rd gear, th400 automatic) and let off the throttle.

At this point directly after letting off the throttle, injector pulse width drops from the WOT 14.2 ms to 2.0 ms, Commanded lambda goes to 1.00 but my wideband reads as rich as 0.83 lambda and my ignition timing goes from 28 degrees (wot) to 46 degrees (off the throttle).

3 seconds after, the wideband levels off to 1.0 lambda and the narrowband o2 sensors accordingly drop in voltage around the same time (so the exhaust is definitely seeing this event)...at this same time the spark finally drops from 46 degrees to 5 degrees.

Is the afr the wideband detects when the throttle is released, simply a reality of the remaining fuel after the fuel injectors sprayed their last 14.2 ms WOT burst?

If this is the case, why does my timing spike so high despite the cylinder airmass reading 0.04 grams (same reading at 46 degrees and 5 degrees advanced ) after letting off the throttle?
    Is it perhaps transitioning/scaling between the lowest cylinder air mass of 0.08 g and the associated timing of 38* and a threshold of the lowest possible timing figure that's not in the timing table?

This is a 2005 6.0 lq4 with a btr stage 2 cam. p59 ecu, 36 lb flex fuel injectors. Thanks
    Last edited by Matt_lq4; 04-18-2017 at 04:27 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Perhaps the intense vacuum situation of letting off the throttle and being in gear travelling at 116.3 mph (actual time slip trap speed, my speedometer in the log is not accurate) is causing an extreme suction and making the fuel injectors leak out fuel temporarily beyond their control.....this may explain the richness part.

Advanced Tuner
    Well I don't know WHY but it is so, mine does more or less the same, see the .jpg, of course my numbers are a bit different but it's similar...

-D

Capture.JPG
    99 TA, Texas Speed LS376, PRC heads, 233/239 cam, Fast 92mm, 95mm TB, card style MAF, Tick TR6060, Strange 4.11 12 bolt axle & clutchpack diff, Strano springs/dampers, Vette 18" wheels, Vette disks, CTS-V calipers, 16lb flywheel, long tube headers, no cats.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dermotw View Post
    Well I don't know WHY but it is so, mine does more or less the same, see the .jpg, of course my numbers are a bit different but it's similar...

-D

Capture.JPG
    Hmm, well we shall find out soon enough 👍