Thread: 2017 ECM Replacement

Potential Tuner

2017 ECM Replacement

I have a new 2017 GMC Sierra w.6.2l. I'm wanting to tune the truck but I'd also like to retain warranty. I have a GM MDI 2 and was wanting to purchase another ECM to tune. I guess my question is: If I tune the new ECM and have to take the truck in for warranty(I would install the stock ECM), would GM be able to tell through the BCM(or other modules), that I have swapped the ECM? The ECM is so cheap that it seems like the logical route.

Given how the system works now, which requires you to download images from the TDS website, you will probably void your warranty just by flashing your VIN to a new ECM without a dealer doing it as it will flag your VIN as having a new ECM installed.

My suggestion to you is to stay stock if you don't want to void the warranty.

Never tried anything like that, but I imagine most service techs would be fooled and most likely you'll be able to fool a dealer until GM higher ups would get involved. I'm sure there's data they can get that is not given to standard techs. If you're worried about warranty, don't modify your ride. Put it simply

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlech View Post
    Given how the system works now, which requires you to download images from the TDS website, you will probably void your warranty just by flashing your VIN to a new ECM without a dealer doing it as it will flag your VIN as having a new ECM installed.

My suggestion to you is to stay stock if you don't want to void the warranty.
    That's what I was thinking. Really sucks though that I have VCM Editor from a previous vehicle with enough credits and can't use it. Oh well, guess I'll just wait until the warranty is up.

Yeah, they control that a lot more, the whole global A platform has so many security checks beyond the typical vats now that even swapping in a module that hasn't been programmed for your vehicle can brick other modules in the system as a security check. And when you look up ECM, TCM, BCM, etc. images through TDS all of it is VIN based now and they track the firmware version, the controller serial number, it can all be traced back.

Not to mention the manufacturers monitor forums like this...

Potential Tuner
    All true. But proving the purchased ECM was actually ran in the truck is another thing. I guess they could always look at the engine run time vs miles. It'd be a gamble but I'd feel safer going this route.

For some reason I don't think it's ever a "safe" thing to admit to committing warranty fraud in a public forum, but that's just me... Thanks BTW for being part of the reason why manufacturers dislike the aftermarket.

Potential Tuner
    I'm not out to commit fraud. I don't race or dog my vehicles. It's unfair that my warranty would be voided for a non-stock calibration if the only thing changed is say the AFM delete. If I raced my vehicle or treated it roughly it would be a different storry. I'm just after a little better performance and reliability. And I haven't admitted to doing anything. My truck is stock. I was just asking a question.

Quote Originally Posted by mroland72 View Post
    I'm not out to commit fraud. I don't race or dog my vehicles. It's unfair that my warranty would be voided for a non-stock calibration if the only thing changed is say the AFM delete. If I raced my vehicle or treated it roughly it would be a different storry. I'm just after a little better performance and reliability. And I haven't admitted to doing anything. My truck is stock. I was just asking a question.
    The ones that race and dog their vehicles make the same exact post, too.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    The ones that race and dog their vehicles make the same exact post, too.
    Whatever

Potential Tuner
    Was just trying to get a little advice and insight. Guess this isn't the place for that. Getting accused for things I haven't done. Was just asking for an opinion and a what if. Starting to really regret ever getting HP Tuners. This forum is supposed to be helpful. Never bashed or argued with anyone. What a joke. If I was going to really abuse my vehicle I'd have it professionally tuned on a dyno. Just wanted to get a little better than what was offered from factory without voiding my warranty.

Was just trying to get a little advice and insight. Guess this isn't the place for that. Getting accused for things I haven't done. Was just asking for an opinion and a what if. Starting to really regret ever getting HP Tuners. This forum is supposed to be helpful. Never bashed or argued with anyone. What a joke. If I was going to really abuse my vehicle I'd have it professionally tuned on a dyno. Just wanted to get a little better than what was offered from factory without voiding my warranty.
    So, did you get your answer? If so, then you can't say you didn't get good advice. The rest of the posts are insight so you got that, too. No one accused you and said, YOU ARE A BAD BOY. No one cares and no one is going to police your actions. Forums often turn into discussions for the universe, don't take it personally, even if you're the OP. Threads become organic and often move away from just what you want it to be, that's how the world and evolution works. It's natural. Once your question was answered, which was immediately, then its game on, who knows where it will go.

Make sure you spend a lot of time here and help others. This forum isn't just for withdrawals. Try to make some deposits, too.

Both of which you have received (without bashing or arguing) even though you might not like the answers you were provided... I don't know if you realize it, so if not what you proposed is a PERFECT example of warranty fraud (not accusing you of it) however what you are asking is just that. What it boils down to is if you change your calibration from stock you ARE voiding your warranty. You have to pay to play...

Tuner in Training
    The more you try to hide something the more it makes me investigate what you are trying to hide. That is what will get you a warranty block. Besides you can't hide a bad tune damage.