Thread: The Coyote Cookbook

Tuner in Training

The Coyote Cookbook

Does anyone have The Coyote Cookbook for HP Tuners from Don Lasota? Good info? Worth the read? Thoughts?

Thanks

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 400bird View Post
    Does anyone have The Coyote Cookbook for HP Tuners from Don Lasota? Good info? Worth the read? Thoughts?

Thanks
    It's ok. I would pick tuning school over it now that I have both. Both do the best to explain what exactly you are changing, but neither cover everything. Just the basics.
    Last edited by murfie; 04-21-2017 at 02:46 PM.

I got a copy of the coyote cook book, I have not finished it yet. But it does not explain much and it is stated that you need to have the basics and some experience to pick up the information a lot quicker. Unfortunately for me I am trying to get both at the same time so it takes me some time. It does go over a lot of settings that need to be changed and where you should play around to get the car dialed in. So you can help yourself by looking at your stock tune, aftermarket tune if you ever got one and you can download others cars tunes from the repositories to compare what they do, such like the roush stock tunes, cobra jet etc.

I've been looking over all the information that the tuning school provides and they seem to offer a good system with processes that will make it easier for you to follow. I will be getting the current live seminar option that they offer which gives you a year of support, the next seminar is next year in Feb2 so they will give you support until then and you get the material right away so you can start on your own. I was told that you get support from the day you purchase so its pretty much getting almost 2 years of support if you purchase now.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the info.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kleistang View Post
    I got a copy of the coyote cook book, I have not finished it yet. But it does not explain much and it is stated that you need to have the basics and some experience to pick up the information a lot quicker. Unfortunately for me I am trying to get both at the same time so it takes me some time. It does go over a lot of settings that need to be changed and where you should play around to get the car dialed in. So you can help yourself by looking at your stock tune, aftermarket tune if you ever got one and you can download others cars tunes from the repositories to compare what they do, such like the roush stock tunes, cobra jet etc.

I've been looking over all the information that the tuning school provides and they seem to offer a good system with processes that will make it easier for you to follow. I will be getting the current live seminar option that they offer which gives you a year of support, the next seminar is next year in Feb2 so they will give you support until then and you get the material right away so you can start on your own. I was told that you get support from the day you purchase so its pretty much getting almost 2 years of support if you purchase now.
    Which tuning school is this? I have not bought the cookbook because I find the price a bit steep, and there are zero on the used market that I can find. I have tuning experience in other cars, but this ecu has a lot of tricky stuff and naming sometimes is confusing. I do hate the 1000 spark tables LoL . Will be tuning a DOB supercharger kit on my car and really looking not to overlook the little things. Tips from someone that knows the ecu would be great.
    2014 GT BLACK MT Brake Package - GT500 AB

The Cookbook gives good data on most of the important changes you need to start your tune. There are a few typos, but all in all, a good reference. And at $125, it is a lot less than classrooms, but if you have the funds, there is no substitute for hands-on training. I think one of the best tuning schools is EFI University. https://www.efi101.com/
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C
    Turbo/NOS Hayabusa - 320RWHP

It is literally called the tuning school. i bought the coyote cookbook from some store on ebay if i remember. it was not that expensive but it is worth it. It will help you if you have the experience. yeah the hdfx sounds a little confusing at first but then it makes sense.

15psi thank you for recommending efi101.com I will definitely check them out now before buying the tuning school seminar.

EngineLabs sent one of their staff to attend the accelerated course at EFI University. This will give you an overview of their content and expertise:

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/stand...s-acp-program/
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C

Forgot to mention - don't get shocked when you see their in-classroom prices. Cadillac education for Cadillac money.
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 15PSI View Post
    Forgot to mention - don't get shocked when you see their in-classroom prices. Cadillac education for Cadillac money.
    What's interesting is they have a class for OEM re-Flash using the OEM ECM for LS engines but they don't offer one for the Coyote, which is odd considering how much power you can get out of the stock copperhead/tricore with out the need to go with a aftermarket ECM.

Senior Tuner
    That is interesting. There are far more reasons to go to a standalone from a GM than newer Ford ECU in my opinion. The Ford is setup to run widebands for constant fueling corrections and even has spark and fuel control at an individual cylinder level.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    That is interesting. There are far more reasons to go to a standalone from a GM than newer Ford ECU in my opinion. The Ford is setup to run widebands for constant fueling corrections and even has spark and fuel control at an individual cylinder level.
    Yeah, the inclusion of OEM widebands is one of the reasons why the copperhead and tricore ECMs can support so much power and they are def more complex than the GM ECM used on the LS series...