Thread: What shift rpm best for performance and safety?

Advanced Tuner

What shift rpm best for performance and safety?

With the new hp tuner release finally the automatic in the hellcat can raise it's rev limiter when left in drive. Stock they shift at about 6000 rpm. I hear these motors build horsepower up to around 6300 or so. Would it be safe on the rockers, springs, etc. to set the shift points at 6300 to 6350 rpms? Diablo is releasing this option in a few weeks.
    2016 Hellcat Challenger, automatic, black on black with brass monkey wheels

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet
    2.75 pulley, tune, drag radials. 10 percent lower od crank pulley, 1050 ix. off road mid pipe. tune

I've raised them higher than that with mods done to vehicle, they are built pretty stout but I'd say for you it's more of a preference on a stock car because while HP may be increasing up to 6300-6500, torque has fallen off so the extra RPM's may not give you any better times at the track. So it may not be worth the extra wear on your engine-in a stock setting. I spin my personal 6.4 to 6800, and I believe Dodge does claim the Hellcat has different lifters and springs and such although they all look very similar. With that they say they are built better so if a 6.4 can do it, how could a Hellcat not? You are talking a 150 RPM increase to the valvetrain going from 6000 to 6300 RPM. Again I'd test the RPM increases at the track, it may not be worth it on a stock engine.