Thread: Just checking

Tuner in Training

Just checking

So I'm fairly new to tuning and I have played around with my truck but now it's time to have my camaro tuned. I don't know enough to do it myself, so I started looking around and talking to local tuners near me. A few of them have said that since I don't plan on going sd that they will idle tune, spark and maf tune. No ve tune. Is that normal? I ask because everything I've seen and read says to ve tune then maf tune. Not judging just really curious. I feel like from just what I've learned that a good ve table is the key to a good tune and not doing that is kind of half assing it. Again you guys can straighten me out on this if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by hjoshua23; 04-24-2017 at 08:18 PM.

What's done to the car?

Depending on mods you should always tune the VE table.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Cam, heads, long tubes, fast 102, nw 102 and that's kinda what I thought

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by hjoshua23 View Post
    Cam, heads, long tubes, fast 102, nw 102 and that's kinda what I thought
    How much did they say they are looking to charge you for a maf only tune?

Unless I'm mistaken, even in maf only mode, quick throttle transitions still rely on the Ve table as the maf cannot respond fast enough for proper fueling in that instant.

Tuner in Training
    Prices were $350-$450. I was told the stock ve table would be just fine.

Advanced Tuner
    Stock ve will be far from optimum. I run my Tahoe maf only with a tuned ve table. There was a noticeable difference in fuel trim stability as soon as I tuned my ve table . I would be running this vehicle dynamic after I fine tuned both ve+maf. Those are decent prices but why spend the money when you can spend your own precious time getting things the way you want them. Unless you really just want that $400 dyno sheet showing how much power it made.

Advanced Tuner
    An easy way to confirm this VE reference during drastic throttle transitions should be to put it in maf only mode, zero out or severely enlarge values in the VE table, and go for a scan with quick throttle transitions. If it bogs or stumbles or at least shows much different afrs in that instant...we have confirmed that VE is important even in maf only mode. I'm sure the wizards on here have confirmed this however I can't quite tell who to trust fully when I search through threads over the years.

I'd do this test right now but my car is 3 weeks from being road ready.