Thread: Steering Assist Fault after tuning, 2017 Mustang EB

Senior Tuner

Steering Assist Fault after tuning, 2017 Mustang EB

We just finished dyno tuning a 2017 Ecoboost Mustang and now are getting a "Steering Assist Fault Service Required" message on the driver display that will not seem to clear. It started coming up during the dyno pulls, but I just chalked it up to the ABS/Stability system faults and figured it would clear once we started driving it again, but it hasn't. Battery resets, also did not work.

Has anyone else experienced this when using HP or other software to tune these cars? The 2015 EB Mustang we just did 2 weeks ago was fine so this may be a bad case of perfect timing, but I wanted to reach out and see if there was something we were missing or a module reset procedure that needs to happen. Maybe it's a 2017 flashing issue?

Any insight would be appreciated.
    Jaime

Tuner
    I am experiencing the same problem this morning. What fixed the issue?
    Last edited by realspeeddan; 08-30-2017 at 08:43 AM.

Senior Tuner
    We just needed the dealer to clear the codes for the affected modules. The HP scanner wouldn't clear them.

FORScan should be able to clear it. It's probably on the MS-CAN side that you can't access with HPTuners. Everytime I flash my 2014 SHO with a new HPTuners tune, there are like 5 DTC codes on the MS-CAN side, like the HVAC system, door module, etc... that occurs when the BCM and the ECM are disconnected momentarily during the flashing.

I have a modified ELM327, but they sell newer versions that can access MS CAN and HS CAN with FORScan.

New to the forum and just had the same issue tuning my 2017 GT. I plugged in my AutoEnginuity scan tool and sure enough had a bunch of U codes stored in the various modules in the car caused by flashing the ecm. Cleared them with the scan tool and all was good.

I could see this being a problem for company's offering remote tuning in which their customer has no ability to read and clear the codes beyond what their tuning device supports.
    I tune Cummins for living. Tune my mustang for fun.

Potential Tuner
    i have the same issue with a costumer car.

reset all modules with Launch scaner and error go.

you only need to erase all the DTC from all modules.

Potential Tuner
    Having the same issue is this something that can be fixed using Hp?

Thanks

Tuner
    Had same issue after loading tune from Ngauge. Drive the car for about 30 miles and steering should come back. This has worked for me every time.