Thread: Tuning the 5.7 HEMI

Tuning the 5.7 HEMI

Hi guys, I'm new to the whole tuning thing and I'm trying to self teach.

I've been browsing the threads and getting a lot of knowledge, but is there a video or article that show how to tune these HEMIs. All the YouTube videos I find are for the LS GM motors.

Anybody able to give me any resources?

Dodge is probably one of the more hard to learn and find info for, there is a ton of good posts on this forum, all else fails, check out the tuning school. They only have Hellcat courses but, the tuning does carry over to all the late model Dodge stuff as far as ANN tuning and other things. I think the tricky part, even for me, is when someone has invested years in tuning and schooling you don't really want to just dump everything online for others to benefit from for free...but, like on this forum if you do have an issue or two with a tune you are working on usually you can get help to get it figured out. Do you have HP Tuners? If you do have you pulled the tune out of your car and looked it over?

Potential Tuner
    I'm in the same boat as the OP. Have made some minor changes to my cars tune but not knowing exactly what I am doing I am hesitant to do to much.
    Would love to do the tuning school but it's not in my budget.
    So I just scour the forums and try to pickup as much as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Bee View Post
    Dodge is probably one of the more hard to learn and find info for, there is a ton of good posts on this forum, all else fails, check out the tuning school. They only have Hellcat courses but, the tuning does carry over to all the late model Dodge stuff as far as ANN tuning and other things. I think the tricky part, even for me, is when someone has invested years in tuning and schooling you don't really want to just dump everything online for others to benefit from for free...but, like on this forum if you do have an issue or two with a tune you are working on usually you can get help to get it figured out. Do you have HP Tuners? If you do have you pulled the tune out of your car and looked it over?
    I do have an HP and Ihabe scanned it. Just trying to gather as much information and knowledge as I can before I do anything and to help interpret what data I've collected from my car.

I also really don't have all the extra money sitting around to buy the tuning school courses, I'd love to do them, but I can't afford it right now.

As a starting point, read the thread on tuning with NN on. Do you understand the differences between closed loop and open loop?
    2013 Dodge Challenger RT Plus - Shaker

Quote Originally Posted by Pector55 View Post
    As a starting point, read the thread on tuning with NN on. Do you understand the differences between closed loop and open loop?
    Which thread is that?

I do understand the difference. I need to sit down and look through HP a little more too.

I think I just read your thread on Challengertalk. I want to try a couple of the basic things, throttle response, turn mds off, etc that you covered in that thread. I saved the link about ANN from that thread, haven't had time to sit down and read it just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 2012ChargerRTbluestreak View Post
    Which thread is that?

I do understand the difference. I need to sit down and look through HP a little more too.

I think I just read your thread on Challengertalk. I want to try a couple of the basic things, throttle response, turn mds off, etc that you covered in that thread. I saved the link about ANN from that thread, haven't had time to sit down and read it just yet.
    Ok, I wasn't trying to talk down when I asked those questions. I just wanted to get an idea as to whether this thread would be useful.
    Here is the thread on NN. I initially VE tuned but I later turned NN back on and tuned that way. I did it mainly for practice and experience. I don't tune for money. I just do it to my own cars to learn since I'm a geek.

Here is the thread I was referring to:
    https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...NN-tuning-help

Quote Originally Posted by Pector55 View Post
    Ok, I wasn't trying to talk down when I asked those questions. I just wanted to get an idea as to whether this thread would be useful.
    Here is the thread on NN. I initially VE tuned but I later turned NN back on and tuned that way. I did it mainly for practice and experience. I don't tune for money. I just do it to my own cars to learn since I'm a geek.

Here is the thread I was referring to:
    https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...NN-tuning-help
    Thanks, I have a few other threads I want to read too, I'll work my way through that one. Just trying to get a good foundation for starters. I think once I get into chance things and look at them I'll do better. I learn best by hands on. If someone explains to me what I'm changing and why and I can look at it on the car files I feel I'll learn.

Probably what I'll do is data log, look at it and have someone give me a quick example of what needs changed and why and I'll come back with the next. If that makes sense lol

Thanks, I have a few other threads I want to read too, I'll work my way through that one. Just trying to get a good foundation for starters. I think once I get into chance things and look at them I'll do better. I learn best by hands on. If someone explains to me what I'm changing and why and I can look at it on the car files I feel I'll learn.

Probably what I'll do is data log, look at it and have someone give me a quick example of what needs changed and why and I'll come back with the next. If that makes sense lol
    Yeah, I'm the same way. Just be really patient and make one change at a time and study whether you got the result you expected. I make a small change, drive to work and then check it out. Then I make another change for the ride home. The nice thing about that thread is that you can leave NN on and just scale the injectors to get your part throttle dialed in. You want to get your fuel trims down to around +/-5 or less if possible. After that, you start looking at your spark tables and scanning for knock. After that, you can get into full throttle tuning. There you start targeting your target AFR and you want to have a wideband in order to verify that you are hitting what you want. After that you can start bumping up spark to add more power. It's a long term project that keeps making you smarter.

Just read the ANN thread--- wow that's a lot of confusingly good information. My take away from that is since I'm stock cam, ANN will be staying on.

I will be installing a wideband in the near future, but until then... what's the best way to tune and make adjustments?

That's where I get a little confused, do you tune for afr or tune to avoid knock?

Just read the ANN thread--- wow that's a lot of confusingly good information. My take away from that is since I'm stock cam, ANN will be staying on.

I will be installing a wideband in the near future, but until then... what's the best way to tune and make adjustments?

That's where I get a little confused, do you tune for afr or tune to avoid knock?
    To sum that up I'd say...both? Running to lean can bring on spark knock even if you haven't changed spark from stock. I've said before there really isn't any magic AFR for each car, there is kind of "standard" you want to keep in range (AFR), NA engine, boosted, nitrous and such but really with your own car you are just going to have to mess with it and see what works. Find what feels best without excessive retard from knock sensors. Obviously it's best to be on a dyno for this kind of stuff so you can see the gains instead of, my butt dyno says that seems good...ha, also there is things you can change to affect your "butt dyno" that you are not going to see in gains on a chassis dyno, such as throttle response and trans tuning.

One thing I would note from what someone said above, "what I am changing and why...". <<---- That statement is what was kind of disappointing from the tuning school Hellcat classes. I took them from a business standpoint, ya know just to say I did, and luckily for me pretty much all of it was, ok...I know, teach me something...? But they just run you through it without much explanation, there was even some things he says they will touch on in later courses...and never did. I would have liked for them to explain it out for everyone's sake of WHY are you changing this and WHAT it affects. They just tell you change something without saying "this is what it's going to do for the engine". An example would be they tell you to go in under engine diag and change the "torque delta" tables, yea just max them out they say...well I knew if you did you have basically tuned traction control out of the car. So for someone trying to learn and they get in change a whole bunch of stuff including those tables then one day it starts raining and you have no TC even when it's on?! Then in your head if you have no idea, your gonna freak out wondering how the hell you get TC back for when you do want it. Things like that.

Lie bee- have you read any of the Greg Banish books? Thoughts on them?

Yes I have his books, they are good, I haven't looked at them in years but from what I remember again it was one of those deals where I'd think you would have to have some experience in tuning before diving into them, only to fully understand and to benefit from them. He goes pretty deep on certain subjects which is great, I remember one book was pretty good about starting from the beginning on a tune senario. Even in this one I'm thinking of he referenced the MS system which I have a ton of experience with, but there is always things you will run into and experience is only thing that can lead you in the right direction. Hopefully I can get Greg to my shop as he is good friends with awesome folks over at dynocom, when I purchased my dyno they happened to mention getting him to stop by! They noticed his books on my shelf as a matter fact.

Potential Tuner
    A said da same thing its ridiculous a say smh 🤦

It's all top secret. Like your going to put some out of business. SMH. I do my own thing. If it works Woo-hoo if not I know what doesn't. Anyone need a hand, more than one way to tune as well pm me

Potential Tuner
    Does anyone have a tune for a 2010 5.7 Hemi with a TSP Hemichop cam and a manual trans they?d be interested in sharing with me or selling to me. This is the first mopar I?ve tuned and I thought I could figure it out but unfortunately I?m ready to throw in the towel. I?d hate to say how much time I?ve got invested in this thing so far and all I?ve managed to accomplish is getting it to idle on cold start. Besides that I?ve read everything I can find of turn the ANN off and tune the VE tables which I?ve tried and failed miserably then leave the ANN on and tune the inj pulse which again I?ve failed miserably at. I don?t know why I?m having so much trouble with this because Ive tuned a bunch of cars but they?ve all been LS based. Anyways this mopar tune is kicking my a+#!!!!!! LOL
    So any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Tuning is not my business, I have started in 2018 with the simple Spanish oak, later with the E38 which is a good platform for learning by tons of videos. Now my hairs will turn to grey while I?m figuring out the Chrysler stuff for a gpec2 and ngc4.
    I can?t believe that tuners would earn a dime by tuning these sh*t.
    the reason for my action, tuners in Germany tells a lot of different story?s and have make me pensive, if they really know what they do?.
    We mostly pay a lot of money for incomplete tunes here. Sure, a custom tune isn?t that easy but even if you want it they haven?t time for it to complete it?crazy.
    So I figure it out by myself and make the car perfect for my own kind of driving..and here is the next point :
    We need a complete different shift pattern for the older transmissions. Driving brisk leads into sport mode, but it?s to severely at this time?
    Good tunes in Germany are mostly combined with a cam or sc conversion and are high priced..
    Have fun and stay tuned?

@blue bee

Torque Delta under torque correlation…
    Isn’t it the desired or max allowed engine torque failure by throttle/airflow and only set a light or limp mode?
    In my opinion the traction control is the same as esp and is found under torque management. This will control spark, throttle and fuel shut off ?
    I have set the Min Torque Offset to 74 lb ft to get wheelspin under acceleration.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjsmitty2007 View Post
    Does anyone have a tune for a 2010 5.7 Hemi with a TSP Hemichop cam and a manual trans they?d be interested in sharing with me or selling to me. This is the first mopar I?ve tuned and I thought I could figure it out but unfortunately I?m ready to throw in the towel. I?d hate to say how much time I?ve got invested in this thing so far and all I?ve managed to accomplish is getting it to idle on cold start. Besides that I?ve read everything I can find of turn the ANN off and tune the VE tables which I?ve tried and failed miserably then leave the ANN on and tune the inj pulse which again I?ve failed miserably at. I don?t know why I?m having so much trouble with this because Ive tuned a bunch of cars but they?ve all been LS based. Anyways this mopar tune is kicking my a+#!!!!!! LOL
    So any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    I can help with a remote tune. shoot me an email with complete build info and we can go from there.

www.n2speed.com
    http://www.amp4x4.com
    [email protected]

Dodge And GM Tuning Suppport
    Diablosport CMR | HP Tuners