Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2016 s550 twin turbo help needed... 10psi only 400whp

2016 s550 twin turbo help needed... 10psi only 400whp

Wont go into too much detail, but customer came in with a supposed boost leak. Did a boost leak test and came back clean. did a dyno pull and verified it is pegging 10psi and holding strong. but barely making 400whp/tq. any help would be great. To me the MAF readings seem low for a twin turbo setup at 10psi. but both boost gauge and boost leak test verify it is holding all the boost.

2016 stock mustang GT 6M
    hellion TT 6266 setup
    ID1000s
    e85
    walbro 450lph pump
    10psi

thanks in advance
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SYCK SS; 04-28-2017 at 09:52 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Something def looks very wrong from that log, it's running 27* of spark advance? That is mega high for a twin turbo set up, it's really high for any boost set up, the other thing is you are not running into any KR, if anything it's adding timing, which is also odd. A properly running set up would have Kr like crazy with that much spark advance during WOT...

Ima look at the tune real quick and see If I notice anything else.

Senior Tuner
    Didn't even look at the tune but fix MAF curve to lean it out. I would expect more power than that even running that rich but it's a start.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
    Something def looks very wrong from that log, it's running 27* of spark advance? That is mega high for a twin turbo set up, it's really high for any boost set up, the other thing is you are not running into any KR, if anything it's adding timing, which is also odd. A properly running set up would have Kr like crazy with that much spark advance during WOT...

It's on E85 and the load calculation is off because of the MAF curve. As it starts calculating higher load I'm guessing he's got it setup to run a little less timing. They like timing even with boost if they have the right fuel.

I agree that's a lot of timing for the boost. but look at the load. its actually very low for 10psi as well as the MAF setting. and that being said its only at 390whp with all settings in place. im extremely baffled

Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    Didn't even look at the tune but fix MAF curve to lean it out. I would expect more power than that even running that rich but it's a start.
    I have it set that way because if I lean it out, it basically is a stock MAF curve and load doesn't exceed 100% so timing is scary

It's on E85 and the load calculation is off because of the MAF curve. As it starts calculating higher load I'm guessing he's got it setup to run a little less timing. They like timing even with boost if they have the right fuel.
    I do have it setup for less timing as load increases, but as stated above the load isn't making sense either. I have tuned several supercharged s550s with no issue. Both twin turbo ones I have played with I seem to run into this same issue. the MAF doesn't change from stock and that worries me.

Advanced Tuner
    ah I missed the part about e85, my bad.

I looked the tune over, the load row values are still stock and the spark values for .90 and 1.1 loads are within 2* of each other, in most of the Map points .90 load is request 27-28* and the 1.1 load row is requesting 26-27*. So it's not set to pull much timing at all, but his MAF curve is def off and has him running .75 lambda even though he is commanding .78 so correcting that is def going to be the first thing the OP wants to do.

Edit: I take it back, I was looking at the MBT tables, Borderline is set to pull timing and load goes up, my bad. But that does show me something interesting, you left MBT load rows stock, try changing them match the row values you set in the borderline. Notice MBT rows are 1.1 load maximum
    Last edited by Jn2; 04-27-2017 at 04:15 PM.

where are you seeing the load rows being .9 to 1.1

I see all timing set for up to 2.0

**edit** ahhh gotcha. I did miss that.

This is also not my tune. I am correcting the tune. But was really confused on how it can be missing almost 300hp when boost is there and timing is high. that's my main area of being puzzled
    Last edited by SYCK SS; 04-27-2017 at 04:18 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SYCK SS View Post
    where are you seeing the load rows being .9 to 1.1

I see all timing set for up to 2.0
    Here is what I mean, you did raise the values for Borderline maps, but the MBT ones are all still stock. The pic is just the OP map, but all of the other maps are the same. Spark source in the log is borderline and it's pulling the right timing value based on what you have in that load column how ever I usually make sure MBT is adjusted accordingly. For your case, change those load values to match the ones in the borderline tables, then change the spark values to be a few degrees more than what ever you have in the corresponding borderline table
    spark.PNG
    Last edited by Jn2; 04-27-2017 at 04:21 PM.

Here is what I mean, you did raise the values for Borderline maps, but the MBT ones are all still stock. The pic is just the OP map, but all of the other maps are the same. Spark source in the log is borderline and it's pulling the right timing value based on what you have in that load column how ever I usually make sure MBT is adjusted accordingly. For your case, change those load values to match the ones in the borderline tables, then change the spark values to be a few degrees more than what ever you have in the corresponding borderline table
    spark.PNG

yeah I saw that after I typed the message. I made the adjustment and no change.

I feel like that MAF readings are low. But the engine is seeing 10psi in the manifold... so confused

Advanced Tuner
    Is the imrc hose vented? IMRC opening?

Advanced Tuner

**edit** ahhh gotcha. I did miss that.

This is also not my tune. I am correcting the tune. But was really confused on how it can be missing almost 300hp when boost is there and timing is high. that's my main area of being puzzled
    Can you add "VCT schedule source" as a channel as well please? Here, do this instead, populate these channels into your scanner. It has every channel needed for the coyote. Since this is a tricore, go ahead and add the other mapped points as well(15-26) after you load my channels into your scanner

coyote.Channels.xml

Quote Originally Posted by curt@injected View Post
    Is the imrc hose vented? IMRC opening?
    it is connected to the air filter of one of the turbos. not on the boosted side

Can you add "VCT schedule source" as a channel as well please? Here, do this instead, populate these channels into your scanner. It has every channel needed for the coyote. Since this is a tricore, go ahead and add the other mapped points as well(15-26) after you load my channels into your scanner

coyote.Channels.xml
    hopefully this helps. my scanner reset and I lost those points lol

Advanced Tuner
    it is connected to the air filter of one of the turbos. not on the boosted side

hopefully this helps. my scanner reset and I lost those points lol
    Yeah your MAF reading are really low, MAF is saying you are getting 55#/min at 6000rpm then after that your MAF reading just fell off a cliff and TPS looks like it started to go down as well(but at a much slower rate). You are absolutely, 100% sure there is not a boost leak anywhere? When you did the test did you leave the coupler attached to the TB or did you remove it from TB and cap that end of the pipe off? How's the PCV set up on passenger side set up for this car? VTA?

The log isn't showing anything that could be limiting the power output of the car( i still don't see VCT source in the latest log and you aren't logging VCT angles). You def aren't seeing the loads where you would be making more power either. Try and calibrate the MAF and see if that helps with the load, bc you either have a boost leak or the MAF being that far off could be the issue, not 100%, just tossing you some ideas

Advanced Tuner
    The Maf Curve does need some work.. but Like JN said doesnt seem to be anything limiting power.

Advanced Tuner
    Here is a random file I already had licensed already, I applied the some MAF correction you can straight copy over that should dial in the MAF closer to +/- 2%, dont copy anything else bc it's just a stock tune I tossed your MAF curve on to make it easier for you to copy and paste

Yeah your MAF reading are really low, MAF is saying you are getting 55#/min at 6000rpm then after that your MAF reading just fell off a cliff and TPS looks like it started to go down as well(but at a much slower rate). You are absolutely, 100% sure there is not a boost leak anywhere? When you did the test did you leave the coupler attached to the TB or did you remove it from TB and cap that end of the pipe off? How's the PCV set up on passenger side set up for this car? VTA?

The log isn't showing anything that could be limiting the power output of the car( i still don't see VCT source in the latest log and you aren't logging VCT angles). You def aren't seeing the loads where you would be making more power either. Try and calibrate the MAF and see if that helps with the load, bc you either have a boost leak or the MAF being that far off could be the issue, not 100%, just tossing you some ideas
    the reason for the MAF curve is because if I correct it according to fuel trims. It knocks it down to almost stock. Which I seems very odd.

and yes, verified multiple different ways both with coupler on and off throttle body. holds 20psi not problem. as well the boost gauge is showing a solid 10psi.

the PCV on the hellion kit is routed to a fitting on the end of the air filters on both sides.

I will fix the logger. had issues with it so I updated it and will get it in the morning.

Here is a random file I already had licensed already, I applied the some MAF correction you can straight copy over that should dial in the MAF closer to +/- 2%, dont copy anything else bc it's just a stock tune I tossed your MAF curve on to make it easier for you to copy and paste
    ill try this and get logs in the morning

thanks for the help. We did see that the car was spinning the tires on the dyno. But still doesn't explain the low MAF reading

fingers crossed we find it tomorrow

Advanced Tuner

thanks for the help. We did see that the car was spinning the tires on the dyno. But still doesn't explain the low MAF reading

fingers crossed we find it tomorrow
    tire spin actually cause MAF reading to spike, not drop. I street tune so I see it quite often. The MAF corrections I applied were also based on the fuel trims recorded on your dyno log. If you want it to be more accurate I recommend logging a good 30-45 minutes worth of driving with a few 3rd gear WOT pulls to redline. I don't like adjusting the MAF on a dyno because you don't get a lot of the real world data needed to calibrate the non WOT section of the curve.

Have you tried datalogging on the street to see how load looks or to feel whether it's driving like a 400whp car(practically stock coyote) or driving like an actual twin turbo car?

Senior Tuner
    High fuel pressure maybe? Hard to compare non stock setup MAF readings with stock and I haven't tuned a Hellion car to compare to.

Have you driven this car off the dyno to see if it actually feels slow or not? I'm guessing you don't normally see 400 whp cars spinning the tires on your dyno.

Advanced Tuner
    High fuel pressure maybe? Hard to compare non stock setup MAF readings with stock and I haven't tuned a Hellion car to compare to.

Have you driven this car off the dyno to see if it actually feels slow or not? I'm guessing you don't normally see 400 whp cars spinning the tires on your dyno.
    Funny we both recommended the same thing a literally minute from each other

Senior Tuner
    I was thinking that when I saw your post after I hit post on mine. Many things could cause different MAF readings but I street tune also and 400 whp S550s with decent tires have traction in 1st gear. They won't even spin 3rd or 4th in the rain. lol