Thread: T-56 conversion from 545rfe on a 04 ram 5.7

Tuner in Training

T-56 conversion from 545rfe on a 04 ram 5.7

I have almost given up on my entire project when the idea of converting my truck to a 6 speed came to mind. being the hp tuner doesn't do anything on an 04 545rfe, will enabling the manual trans on the menu list allow the engine to continue to operate properly with out codes. my concern is that changing direction like this is expensive but if it solves the transmission tuning issue it will be worth it. I just need to know with absolute certainty that it will work before investing. if anyone has done it any input would be great.

Potential Tuner
    Subbed... would like to know about this as well

I'll chime in on this with my thoughts and opinions. I'll state right away that this swap I have no experience personally and that's going to be your issue is that many probably have not done it, the ones that may have-what are the chances they are on this forum? Id' say roll it man! You are just going to have to be the pioneer! Consider this, unlike the cummins guys, your PCM controls the engine and trans. This may make the swap a little easier. If you get into your PCM and tell it the truck is a manual, then shut off all the trans codes, the important things are gonna work, your engine is gonna start, your truck will be driveable via manual shifting and control. Now the things you are gonna have to sort out yourself is what to wire and/or jumper like P/N safety switch which you could re-route to the clutch safety switch so engine cranks. Other than that, vehicle speed sensor sort out to make sure speedo works and ABS system isn't freaking out, there will be some obstacles but all can be handled with patience and perseverance.

Tuner in Training
    the HPtuner unit doesn't work on the 2004 trans as well as many other necessary parameters to tune the engine so I did more research and the there is a company called HOTWIRE they actually referred me to HPtuners. these guys said this is no problem at all they need to do is either reflash my pcm or sell me one that is done, what they do is reflash to2005 3/4 ton manual trans file. with this the engine no longer looks for any input from the trans. any tranny can be used th400 or any manual. the company that has almost all of whats needed for this swap is called Silver Sport Transmission www.shiftsst.com they normally don't do newer stuff but if you ask for Gene they have everything mechanically to install it plus their T56 is good for 700rwtrq.

Advanced Tuner
    A possible pre-run of finding out before going too far... I have to wonder if you were to toggle it to manual trans as it sits stock with the auto in place, will it have any effect? Will it start, will it go into drive if the selector is put into D/R or forward range L/H etc etc? Will the Reverse lights function?

Would be interesting to know. As it might just require the mechanics and toggling to manual might just leave all the software functions for the manual swapped in.

Tuner in Training
    so I have already tried that. I switched it to manual but it had no effect. reason is that you cannot switch off the 545rfe because it doesn't even show up on the list. Hotwire told me its no problem to re-flash PCM to 05 3/4 ton file with a 5 speed. then it will function. at the cost of having to use 2 more credits. I have located most of the parts.(still locating the funds) my only other concern is the steering column it may present some issues due to PN selector and rev lights ect. I guess if it were easy we would see everyone with hemi rams full custom everywhere.

Tuner in Training
    I'm putting a SHR War Viking NAG1 from a SRT8 in my 05 Ram 1500 so I'll be pioneering with you :-) I currently have everything but the driveshaft and patience required to just make it happen

I'm swapping a 05 Ram over to a T-56 in the next month. I'll be hanging here with you guys. The T-56 has been swapped in to these trucks I know of one guy who was successful and he modeled his swap after someone who was on NA Dodge, I've been trying to get info on the computer end of this myself.

Potential Tuner
    Any updates on this. Tired of spending money on 545rfe’s only to get 4K miles before they burn up the 2 & 4th prime. Been down the usual roads not to mention any names but on my 3rd rebuild from the big 3 with no luck!!! I know it can be done. Where’s the fool proof write up with step by step with part #’s? Can’t find the Nadodge write up that everyone is talking about and the one on Hemi truck club you can’t see pictures?

The mechanical Install part of the T-56 swap into a 02-08 is relatively easy, I had started to gather parts for my conversion when I got side tracked. but I have done the Mechanical part for 2 of these trucks, one was a 03 and the other was an 05 , I just haven't got my asre in gear to do my GTx
    Pedals can be out of any manual trans 02-08 ram. Bell housing you can use Quick time RM-8078, RM-6076,RM-8077.
    Trans , I started my swap with a LS1 , but the issue I ran into was the pilot bushing , the end shaft on the LS1 box is .62 and I couldn't find a bushing that would work with out some odd backwoods engineering.
    If you start your swap with the Viper/srt10 Ram trans(there is a difference between them but I don't want to get too deep in to this post) use Bell housing RM-8077. with the RAM SRT 10 trans you can use a trans X member from the donor truck. and the hydraulic set up..be aware that the stock set up has a tendency to leak after a while. as for drive shaft go custom. Pilot bushing you can use the NATIONAL bearing part # FC69907
    If you start with a LS1(LT1) box convert the Input shaft and main shaft over to the Viper parts, use RM-6076 if you want your starter on the Driver's side RM 8076 if you want the starter on the passenger side. X-member will need some modifications to use the GM mount but its easy nothing the average hot rodder can't figure out. pilot bearing again is the national listed above.
    side not on the main shaft, you can use the 27 spline GM main shaft, but there's a reason most GM guys switch the 30 spline Viper unit. again custom Driveshaft is your best bet.
    You can use the SRT/10 shaft if you change your rear over to the Ram SRT/10 DANA 60.
    as for the Computer, best bet is get it flashed by B&G.
    Other option is a 518/46RH swap there are a few guys over on Hemi Truck Club that have done the swap and few who are doing it as of 11/01/17 . I'm ric3xrt over on HTC
    The 545 is a waste of time at this point, and honestly is the main reason you don't see any of these 3g Rams running fast 1/4 mile times.
    Last edited by PurpleRam; 11-18-2017 at 10:12 AM.

You also say convert to viper parts its just like the 4500 in truck with the 6speed input shaft. Clutch burn up in an auto is from not enough pressure too much overlap or not enough surface area. It really is that simple till you start breaking hard parts and well seems like the only issue is burnup? I'm not here to bash anyone but its a problem I will have to address with my truck hemi conversion. Guess what it will get a 45rfe just because it has one. I'm sure i'll burn it up but I have a few cores and they are easy to get and they have a pressure tap pan to check all or most of the clutch pack pressures.
    Last edited by JoshCP527; 11-18-2017 at 12:05 PM.

Convert the ls1 to viper spec is more of a convenient thing than a power handling deal.
    The 545 is a a giant power parasite that reliably fails in the 500+ levels

Potential Tuner
    I have personally swapped a tr6060 from a 2014 Dodge Challenger srt into my 5.7 swapped 2003 ram. I just bought a 2005 Dodge ram 2500 manual cruise control ecm and will be uploading the files soon as I get it.

Potential Tuner
    Hello folks, didn't come across this thread until now. But I did the 46rh swap in my 03 about 5 years ago without issues. I first did the B&G manual flash on the 03 pcm but the pcm couldn't be tuned to support the boost I was running. Found a 05 2500 manual pcm and haven't looked back.