Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 to 6 degrees of Knock Retard

Tuner in Training
    They are stock ls3 injectors I believe 38 lbs? I have not installed a wideband, I was going to go with an AEM 30-0300 but everyone on the G8 page said to go with the OBDII 0333 one as you dont have to mess with the ground settings each time? It's another 80$.

Tuner
    Ground settings each time?? I might recalibrate my wideband at the most every six months at the most. And that's just unplugging the sensor and powering the gauge up for 30 seconds. You will be chasing your tale until you can read your actual afr. The commanded afr you see in your log is not actual unless it can be verified by a gauge. Do not risk damaging your motor. Do you have the factory tune to compare? were your fuel injector tables changed? and if so, were they done right?

Tuner in Training
    I was told the DC 0-5 offset needs to be calibrated each time the wideband is connected. "If you want correct AFR, the 0-5 dc will have a offset that will need to be accounted in the algorithm you create each time you connect the WB to the mvpi - any good calibrator knows this. With the canbus 30-0333, the calibration is not required. In the end either will work, the 0-5v input needs attention every time due to the ground path."

As for the injectors, I do have a stock file, but no they should not have been changed. Which tab am I looking under to compare them with? I don't have the laptop at work with me.

Tuner
    While I understand the intent behind such a notion, the fact is that there are SO many other things inducing error into your WB reading (exh. pulse delay, exh. temps, sensor temps, "micro"-leaks, etc.) that slight voltage variations start-up to start-up are the least of your concerns (even more-so if you're using the same ground every time). Consumer grade units shouldn't be expected to offer "lab-grade" accuracy anyway. Besides, if your voltage is wandering so much that you would need to re-calibrate your 0-5v sensor on every start-up, then you have other issues you need to be addressing *LONG* before you go doing WOT pulls.
    2007 Z06 (E38 ECM), stock LS7 short block, .030" milled/ported heads, PLX SM-AFR, MPVI Pro

For the money the ballenger with Ntk sensor is a good accurate wideband. You need a wideband to tune it correctly.

Advanced Tuner
    The 30-0300 0-5v signal has active ground offset compensation. So, just connect the Analog- wire to the ground terminal on the MPVI and it will take care of the offset issues, automatically. Widebands without this feature ( most ) require an offset voltage adjustment. But, that really does not work as well as it appears, as the offset changes with the EGT and RPM. But, usually, the offset is only calculated at idle. So, WOT readings can be way off. Even if you can get a solid 14.7 at idle/part throttle.

The 30-0333 dispenses with the analog voltages entirely. And transfers the data digitally, with CRC error detection, etc. But, only works for ECUs with the CAN interface. Mostly 2008 and later.

Tuner in Training
    Great info. I do have an 08 ecu and it is CanBus. It would work. I was just thinking for 80$ less I could just use the 0300 and call it a day. I don't need racing stripes on a Cadillac kind of thing.

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah. If you don't mind the extra wiring/setup, the 30-0300 will do just fine. Somewhere around here, schpenxel did a log with both the analog and OBDII data from a 30-0333 overlaid. The traces were pretty much identical, up to their limits.

The 30-0300 and 30-0333 are actually identical, HW-wise. Only the connector/cable and firmware are changed.

Yeah, I ran the analog out and CAN data side by side and they were literally all but identical with the analog being about a millisecond behind at worst. I was impressed.

Note that the one spot where they aren't matching is because it hit the max on the analog signal.. otherwise they're basically the same. Much closer than I expected.

IMG_3495.jpg
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Potential Tuner
    WagnerM, did you ever figure out your KR issue. I?m in the same boat, and was wondering if you ever found what was causing the issue.

Tuner in Training
    Yes, I ended up adding a wideband and retuning it myself. Added a touch of extra fuel in those areas and it was gone. I didn't want to deaden the knock sensors too much so I made only another slight change there as well.

I'd retune the car for 12.5/1 AFR. Is that what your wideband is showing you?