Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with 2.4l LE5 Supercharged going in a boat

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    there is a relearn procedure fro the 2.4 throttle body that has been tied to high idles ranging from 1500-5000 rpm after the maf has been cleaned or the manifolds have been swapped out. Unfortunately the tests wont run with any codes present so you would likely have to disable any that pop up that are not related to airflow or are for things that have been disabled etc....
    I have not seen a live connection to the 2.4 computer on the latest hpt software. in the vcm scanner tools you may be able to force an idle learn but that is only if the test has been reviewed and coded through hpt which i currently do not know.
    if not then the relearn procedure requires the dealer tech 2 or a long idle relearn period where it idles for a long time and slowly drops the idle speed as it learns in the new closed plate values. some aftermarket scanners can perform this task. ex: snap-on solus, some higher end models of otc line-up.

*note: if you spray cleaner directly into the plate bore it can leak past the throttle shaft seals and wipe the electronics package out. if you decide to clean it, spray cleaner on a rag and wipe debris out.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 06-07-2017 at 11:32 PM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    This issues seems to haunt the 2.4 platform. Did you get anywhere with this?

Tuner in Training
    I had to take a break. The boat went to the shop for its transplant and they need the motor.
    Do to travel I may not be back at it for 2-3 weeks. I'll post more when I get back to tuning.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you Steve for sharing a tune.

I finally got it running. It is super rich but the tune I used was set up with different injectors (but 42lb like mine).

7-14-17-Boat1a.hpt
    7-14-17a.hpl
    7-14-17.Layout.xml
    7-14-17.Channels.xml

Tuner in Training
    I didn't realize the O2 sensor wasn't working. Swapped the WB for a spare O2 since I couldn't budge the original O2. It worked much better and the motor ran much more smoothly.

Once the manifold is cooled I'll work on getting that bad O2 sensor off and connect my WB.

Here is a copy of the log.

7-15-17.Layout.xml
    7-15-17bBackToBaseTune.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Help needed.

It is running great as far as I can tell. That is until I start going over about 3,200rpm then it suddenly goes lean and starts stumbling. Going back to 3,200rmp or less and it immediately runs smooth again with good AFR.

I'm very happy with performance until trying to get above the seeming RPM wall.
    It go so bad on one run that it went into limp mode only idling until I got to shore and shut down then restarted.

It would also be nice if I could get my idle down just a little lower. I thought I understood how and made some adjustments that made no difference.

Anyone with any ideas? I'm soooo close after starting this project last year.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I would assume you need to tune the VE. You're table shows that the numbers get smaller as the rpm and boost rise, that is not good because it will lean out. You want the numbers to get larger and you have way too many cells with the exact same number. It's as if the table was never tuned and you just input data to make it run.

o2 sensor leans out when you get further into the throttle, another clue that you must tune the VE. Your commanded AFR is going the right way but actual AFR is not even close.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you. That's helps a lot.
    Who I got the base tune did tune the VE tables with a similar setup as I have just in an off road vehicle. They must be much closer than what I had before because I couldn't even get it running before using their tables.

Tuner in Training
    Also the way it idles, you must have a vacuum leak somewhere if the blade is closed. Steve
    Last edited by EFIHARNESS; 07-29-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Do you have the scanner setup with the axes that match exactly your VE calibration table? So for example MAP (kPa) vs. RPM, then dump the WB Lambda readings in the cells [for running open loop], otherwise LTFT must be used [running closed loop]. Don't use WB readings in closed loop for non-WOT tuning.

BTW, You are awesome for getting this project done, pretty rad!
    E67 - 2006 LE5 2.4 Turbo, 444 whp
    E78 - 2013 LUV 1.4T

Tuner in Training
    You are using an E67 ECU so Your maf signal (brown ) goes to J2-67.
    air temp (tan ) goes to J2-62. Steve

Tuner in Training

Back to the drawing board

Unfortunately I had a setback. Ironically while cleaning up wiring and installing a marine fuse panel to make sure everything is protected the hot wire from the battery touched a bolt. That bolt, like all others, was connected to a big metal tub (my boat) and my ECM got fried to the point it couldn't even be connected to. The ECM I replaced it with I could connect to it and it would operate usual relays with key on. I traced all wires and they appear to be fine (thankful for having a much more simple and easy to access harness).

There was only one other E67 in town that I could find. It was off a 2006 Colbalt SS 2.4l. I assumed it would be close enough to just copy over the tune changes. Unfortunately I found several tables that made me scratch my head at how different they were.
    KPA columns in particular in the '06 went from negatives to positives where the '07 G6 started positive and went higher.
    I'm not sure how to marry the 2 up or how the ECM is looking at the same sensors and tables so differently. It's crazy that the same engine and ECM only one year apart in similar applications would have different management approaches.

If anyone has suggestions on how to get some of the boat tune onto the new '06 cobalt ECM please let me know.
    I did install a MAF so hopefully will get back to finishing the tune soon.
    The tables most notable to me:
    fuel tab; flow vs kpa, offset vs volts vs vac, and offset vs volts vs map were completely different
    airflow - accelerator pedal position map

I also noticed that the place you normally disable VATS wasn't there but I did find the tab with VATS patch applied 'yes or no'. There is much confusion as I've read many conflicting forum posts as to whether I even have VATS on this ECM.

06CobaltOEMTune.hpt
    7-14-17-Boat1c.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Yes there are vats on the E67, and they need to be turned off for standalone. Steve

Tuner in Training
    Thanks to all, especially Steve.

First outing with the family after the conversion. We went to Harding Lake, Alaska. A Beautiful day!!!

Supercharged a 2007 2.4l LE5 GM engine from salvage yard. Converted my SeaArk 2272 MV from outboard to inboard.
    Scott 752 with 19/19 impellers, 111 trim nozzle. (love that trim for leveling out and getting rid of porpoising)

Made 39.5mph (reproducible on GPS) at 4,700 rpm. Not bad for a tune that isn't finished yet and a rough guestimate on pump setup.

Man that supercharger whines when going over 3,500rpm.

Tuner in Training
    Once I get the tune the best I can I will post it so that it may help others trying to do a stand alone application. I'll probably have more questions before then but for now I'm taking a few days off. This project has taken over my summer.

Tuner in Training
    It works. I?ve been running it for the past 3 years. My tune hasn?t changed and is super rich but it is an extreme hassle to pull off the wet exhaust and run a dry exhaust so I can hook up a wideband sensor. I have considered going to a dry exhaust because of this.

Tuner in Training
    thats a cool boat

Tuner in Training
    Thank you. It's been a blast to take large groups out on the lake and still be able to get to skinny water hunting grounds. My tune hasn't changed because it's too much work to swap the exhaust to add an 02 sensor. At some point I'll probably swap the injectors so I can have tables that someone else already created.