Thread: Tuning Guide, VE and MAF

Potential Tuner

Post Tuning Guide, VE and MAF

Hello guys. I'm new to this forum and tuning, but I have been using the HpTuners for a long time (mainly the scanner though). I read a couple of tuning books, and lately I have been reading a lot of threads in this forum. I still have a few questions that I couldn't find answers to anywhere, and I would really appreciate it if anyone can help since I will be working with a highly modified car.

I have a supercharged 2009 forged LS3 based Corvette C6 (19psi), with a flex fuel kit, Alky methanol injection, cam, aftermarket heads, and 2 Bar OS. My car is professional tuned already, but I recently swapped my cylinder heads to a better flowing heads and I plan on redoing at least the part throttle and WOT tuning (VE + MAF) to start with.

1- When running Speed Density 2 bar map, can you still run blended MAF and VE mode? Under Dynamic Airflow, I see that my MAF High RPM Disable and High RPM Disable re-enable at both sat to 0, and the MAF codes (P0101, P0102, P0103) are all sat to fail at first error, but the MAF Frequency High and Low tables still have value in them (15,000 high and 1,1** low) does this mean my car is still using the MAF sensor alongside with the VE?

2- Would it be better to tune using the STFT or Wideband only? I was told to use STFT for idle and part throttle tuning (up to 4000 RPM), then move to the Wideband tuning for WOT tuning only, is this correct?

3- Is there any difference any difference between using Lambda Error VS VE or MAF, and AFR vs VE or MAF? I mean, after I gather the date and go paste the value to the VE or MAF table, do I need to consider that I?m logging error in Lambda or AFR, or it wouldn?t matter? I would really like to use Lambda only if possible since I run E85 and pump gas at times. Its easier for me to just think in terms of Lambda.

4- Do I need to force open loop at all when I'm tuning?

5- Do I need to shut the methanol injection off when doing the tuning? I see that my tuner my sat my Boost Enrichment table to 1.29 at high RPM. That?s about 0.775 Lambda, but my Wideband have always been reading richer than than at WOT. I believe my turner tunrned the methanol injection on only after he tuned the car completely, and then he added timing in the IAT table for anything less than 68F.

Finally, I wrote a step by step instruction for myself to follow while tuning for Speed Density. Please let me know if you see anything wrong.

Idle + Part throttle tuning

- Read Calibration, start the car to reach operating temperature.
    - Disable MAF, set PE Enable % to %100, disable COT and DFCO, write calibration.
    - Gather STFT vs VE at idle and part throttle conditions ( up to 4000 RPM and %50 throttle only)
    - Copy > paste special > multiply by % to to all VE tables.
    - Scan and Analyze. Repeat previous step if necessary.
    - Once I get fuel trims within + or ? 3, smooth VE table.

Wide open throttle:

- Setup Commanded Lambda vs Lambda Error
    - Perform wide open throttle from 2000 RPM to Redline
    - Copy > paste > multiply by % to VE table.
    - Repeat previous step until I get no Lambda error, and Finally smooth VE table.

Advanced Tuner
    Damn, not a single reply in 4-1/2 years!
    I'm sure all this info has been covered here before.

1- When running Speed Density 2 bar map, can you still run blended MAF and VE mode? Under Dynamic Airflow, I see that my MAF High RPM Disable and High RPM Disable re-enable at both sat to 0, and the MAF codes (P0101, P0102, P0103) are all sat to fail at first error, but the MAF Frequency High and Low tables still have value in them (15,000 high and 1,1** low) does this mean my car is still using the MAF sensor alongside with the VE

I was just looking for an answer about this, hopefully doesn't take years lol. Once you enable a 2bar or 3bar SD os can you re enable maf and use both ?

Tuner
    I would see what changing it does, when I fail my maf I use 300rpm enable and 200rpm re-enable/disable, I assume using 0 for both does the same? Maybe start with 2000rpm and 1900rpm and see if that does anything to your afr...

Tuner
    #3 - There is no difference, you get a percentage either way. My LSJ doesnt allow a commanded EQ so I use AFR and it works fine.

Tuner
    When doing meth tuning, use the PE table. This is what I found works best, and tune it with meth off first, for me, 500cc nozzle meth drops me .7 from 11.5 to 10.8afr

Quote Originally Posted by smcstevesmc View Post
    When doing meth tuning, use the PE table. This is what I found works best, and tune it with meth off first, for me, 500cc nozzle meth drops me .7 from 11.5 to 10.8afr
    This is exactly what I get for an AFR drop with similar Alky Control setup. So do you adjust PE to bring it back to 11.5 or let it run at 10.8?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ttz06vette View Post
    This is exactly what I get for an AFR drop with similar Alky Control setup. So do you adjust PE to bring it back to 11.5 or let it run at 10.8?
    Exactly, I use the PE to adjust my AFR, (but I am, not an expert.)

I figured it is better than changing my VE or MAF settings, but I have seen other people do it through those.

I am trying a 250cc nozzle now, coming on earlier.
    Last edited by smcstevesmc; 12-14-2021 at 06:16 PM.

Don’t use PE to make fuel adjustments… use the airflow model
    Set PE and forget it

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C