Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hanging idle

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    oh & what does your name mean if ya dont mind me asking? Im sure its probably something i should be able to see, but i can't.. i keep thinking it has to do with your AV Giraffe pic and that keeps throwing me off.. neways
    "Five Finger Death Punch, often shortened to Death Punch and abbreviated as 5FDP or FFDP, is an American heavy metal band from Las Vegas, Nevada"
    Persistence is the key to success

Quote Originally Posted by Mep_q8 View Post
    Set your Airflow from 160f above to 6.8g/s.. Lower your Throttle cracker aiflow by 50% and enable closed loop.

Set your timing in Idle Spark Drive and Park from 0.08g - 0.32g and rpm 800 - 1200 to 23... That should help with the hanging.. too much timing on decel will keep the rpms up since your adding more torque then the car needs to come back to idle.
    Thanks for the input Mep, just one question. With changing the areas of the idle and park spark, should I copy that into the same cells for the hi and lo octane tables as well, or leave the hi/lo tables the way I have them?
    1992 z28:Ls3,411 ecm T56, Tick Master cylinder, Monster stage 3 clutch, tsp 229/244 cam, lingenfelter heads, cold air intake, hooker 1 3/4 headers, 3 inch true dual exhaust, ford 9 4.10 gears.
    full Detroitspeed suspension

Quote Originally Posted by Mep_q8 View Post
    Set your Airflow from 160f above to 6.8g/s.. Lower your Throttle cracker aiflow by 50% and enable closed loop.

Set your timing in Idle Spark Drive and Park from 0.08g - 0.32g and rpm 800 - 1200 to 23... That should help with the hanging.. too much timing on decel will keep the rpms up since your adding more torque then the car needs to come back to idle.
    So Mep does DBW vs DBC make a difference in this Idle Airflow value, because i have a GM LS Hot Cam running on a DBW and that airflow of 6.8 g/s is not only a very close to stock value, but that in no way would run the engine.. I understand that OP is running a ASA cam and that is hotter than the hotcam but he is also running a DBC i believe.. I would like to understand this from someone who owns their own shop and does remote tunes, oh and whats the link to your webpage? Edit: Sorry nvm i was able to find it its an instagram :End Edit.

Now also not only would the changing from 160f not work for my engine, i had to go back much deeper and still needs a bit more airflow in the colder ranges, again is this different DBC vs DBW, and another question, does the outside temp affect the ECT sensor below 160f, and if not, what does affect the idle airflow table below this 160f range... Also now on the throttle cracker i can see cutting by 50% on my tune, but for OP his is already at 0 in many cells.. Thanks for your time Mep peace man & mGbu

Oh and one more thing, did you not read, that OP said adjusting the spark did the trick and he had to add more airflow?

Sorry one more thing on remote tuning, Im wanting to do this service for people and would like to know, how this remote tuning works, iv looked at it but can't seem to figure it out, says i need a master and a slave, or what not, whats that mean, also whats a good fair price to charge and how do you come up with a price ? Thanks again Mep may God bless ya man
    Last edited by Monty; 05-08-2017 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redmaroz View Post
    Thanks for the input Mep, just one question. With changing the areas of the idle and park spark, should I copy that into the same cells for the hi and lo octane tables as well, or leave the hi/lo tables the way I have them?
    You can do, you need to log and see what Airflow tables you are in and what your IAC is reading.

Tuning idle is where I spend most of time tuning a car. The way different people set up their projects from cracking the thottle open with the throttle stop or drilling a hole in the blade itself will lead to a lot of different ways to tune idle. It could be as easy as adding airflow and leaving everything else the same, or simply getting fueling in check to tame it down..

It could also be as easy as resetting your TPS..
    Last edited by Mep_q8; 05-08-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

1 other question that sort of goes along with this. I went back and re-did my idle airflow like I stated earlier on in the this thread, I also adjusted my cooling fans to come on a little cooler. They are the stock 92 fbody electric fans. I do not have ac, but when both fans are running at parking lot speeds would that have any effect on a random stall when pulling into a parking space for example, along with the power steering? I never had that issue until after this last weekend. I thought adjusting my airflow would have helped it, but it happened again yesterday, its only at low speed/idle when turning. I thought about trying to use the accessory torque table to see if it would help, but wasn't sure how to go about it. Thanks again.

Ok, I think I actually answered my own question. I didn't see this before...Cooling Fan Airflow
    ◾Fan 1: This value is the extra airflow added to the base running airflow to compensate for extra electrical load when a single cooling fan is active.
    ◾Fan 1 & 2: This value is the extra airflow added to the base running airflow to compensate for extra electrical load when both cooling fans are active.

Thanks.
    Last edited by redmaroz; 05-09-2017 at 11:45 AM.
    1992 z28:Ls3,411 ecm T56, Tick Master cylinder, Monster stage 3 clutch, tsp 229/244 cam, lingenfelter heads, cold air intake, hooker 1 3/4 headers, 3 inch true dual exhaust, ford 9 4.10 gears.

1 other question that sort of goes along with this. I went back and re-did my idle airflow like I stated earlier on in the this thread, I also adjusted my cooling fans to come on a little cooler. They are the stock 92 fbody electric fans. I do not have ac, but when both fans are running at parking lot speeds would that have any effect on a random stall when pulling into a parking space for example, along with the power steering? I never had that issue until after this last weekend. I thought adjusting my airflow would have helped it, but it happened again yesterday, its only at low speed/idle when turning. I thought about trying to use the accessory torque table to see if it would help, but wasn't sure how to go about it. Thanks again.

Ok, I think I actually answered my own question. I didn't see this before...Cooling Fan Airflow
    ◾Fan 1: This value is the extra airflow added to the base running airflow to compensate for extra electrical load when a single cooling fan is active.
    ◾Fan 1 & 2: This value is the extra airflow added to the base running airflow to compensate for extra electrical load when both cooling fans are active.

Thanks.
    Too bad there is no thumbs up button to like posts.. but yeah 2 thumbs up

Thanks.
    Whats your throttle cracker speed set to ? i had this problem so to cut to the chase, i just disabled the throttle cracker.. But if you know how to tune it, thats the best way id go i would think.. but i think you answered your own question like you stated.. Hey if ya dont mind next post will you put up your new tune file.. thanks & peace

Edit: idk sure looks like maybe your throttle cracker enable and disable speeds might be playing tricks..

Im not able to understand it, wouldn't that make it always on adaptive idle airflow or would that make it disable at anything lower than 3mph and need to be over 10 to enable throttle cracker?

idk seems those two numbers or conflicting with each other..

Says below 10mph the throttle cracker is disabled and the adaptive idle airflow enabled, But also at 3mph or higher the throttle cracker is enabled and the adaptive disabled..

Seems like that would make the adaptive idle airflow always disabled except below 3mph am i right, is that your intentions ?

lol i am making my self confused ha, what i mean is.. If your adaptive idle airflow is disabled at 3mph but anywhere under 10mph the adaptive idle airflow is re-enabled then, that is confusing the VCM is it not?

Looks like that would make the idle airflow only be enabled below 3mph so maybe thats whats causing the idle problem since before your idle was going to stay high do to idle timing tables.. So since its stalling it has to be doing it below 3mph as it switches between :End Edit. haha if that makes any sense ha shakes head at self ha..
    Last edited by Monty; 05-10-2017 at 01:00 AM.

Banned
    Thanks guys. Good thread/info + vids, Monty.
    Been focusing on my idle lately.. revved it in my garage today after work in P/N and noticed my revs hang big time at 1,200rpms. Checked my spark advance in the scanner and found the cell it sits on ("1.2"rpms + 0.12cyl airmass) on decel and just lowered the timing now by 6 degrees in my main spark table. Hopefully done the trick. It was at 31.7 and I lowered it to 25.7
    Last edited by Mr. Smith; 05-17-2017 at 01:08 AM. Reason: "revs".. not "idle"

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Whats your throttle cracker speed set to ? i had this problem so to cut to the chase, i just disabled the throttle cracker.. But if you know how to tune it, thats the best way id go i would think.. but i think you answered your own question like you stated.. Hey if ya dont mind next post will you put up your new tune file.. thanks & peace

Edit: idk sure looks like maybe your throttle cracker enable and disable speeds might be playing tricks..

Im not able to understand it, wouldn't that make it always on adaptive idle airflow or would that make it disable at anything lower than 3mph and need to be over 10 to enable throttle cracker?

idk seems those two numbers or conflicting with each other..

Says below 10mph the throttle cracker is disabled and the adaptive idle airflow enabled, But also at 3mph or higher the throttle cracker is enabled and the adaptive disabled..

Seems like that would make the adaptive idle airflow always disabled except below 3mph am i right, is that your intentions ?

lol i am making my self confused ha, what i mean is.. If your adaptive idle airflow is disabled at 3mph but anywhere under 10mph the adaptive idle airflow is re-enabled then, that is confusing the VCM is it not?

Looks like that would make the idle airflow only be enabled below 3mph so maybe thats whats causing the idle problem since before your idle was going to stay high do to idle timing tables.. So since its stalling it has to be doing it below 3mph as it switches between :End Edit. haha if that makes any sense ha shakes head at self ha..
    Hey Monty, yeah I had it set like that from when I originally tuned it because it had been doing some odd things. But it seemed to work. I will post up my latest tune when I get home from work today. I actually went back in and disabled throttle cracker this time along with adjusting some of my follower tables to increase the throttle response. It helped. I zeroed out tc airflow and set the disable speed to 256mph. then I zeroed out my throttle follower delay in gear, and also upped my decay rate from 0-4mph in throttle follower. and that along with everything else has greatly improved my throttle response. I also have slowly been adding to the fans 1&2 airflow, I started just adding 1 and it didn't do a lot so I bumped it up 1 more and that has seemed to do the trick thus far. It will probably be something that I just have to mess with for a bit to see what works best. But overall the car drives and responds much better.

Here you go Monty.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here you go Monty.
    Thanks man yeah, i was really wanting to see that ASA on a DBC vs DBW idle tune up, im only guessing the DBC allows for more airflow..

But so she is idling good like that, even on burps, it comes down to straight to 900, is there any falling below then backing back to 900, and the hanging is gone too ?

Man id really like to hear that thing running BIG TIME like way man.. youtube much ? Neways yeah thanks i really wanted to see that idle airflow.. i mean seems should be a tad bit higher like to me it would fall below 900 but come back, but DBC guess not.. lol neways peace man glad you got it worked out

O was going to say, you can play with that injector timing normal vs makeup make give cam a bit of a different sound.. with the GM LS Hot Cam i bumped them up by .53 and it took the bucking out at slow rolling speeds.. idk how that would be for a manual though.. see post 27 for my tune..

Yeah it idles good no hang up, and hasnt dropped any. I need to mess with the over under spark a little just to steady it out a litte. I had messed with the injector timing some but it didn't do a whole lot, but it actually runs better with the stock settings.
    https://youtu.be/u6NZ8cR3pGg
    Last edited by redmaroz; 05-13-2017 at 02:29 PM.

Another question for everyone, so i have adjusted my idle airflow and the fan airflow, but i am still having an issue of the car wanting to die at low speeds and turning. I have added to both tables but i dont want to add too much. Any suggestions?
    Attached Files Attached Files

So without over complicating things I just added 50 rpm to my idle and bumped up my idle airflow by 1 more. It passed the sitting still and turning the wheel lock to lock test at temp, so ill see how it does when im able to drive it later. Before I did the above it would die sitting still turning the wheel so hopefully this did the trick. Thanks again for everyones help.