Thread: FG G6ET stock timing vs. boost

Tuner in Training

FG G6ET stock timing vs. boost

Hi guys, I've not tuned one of these before, but a good mate of mine brought his to me because the engine light keeps coming on. I'm just going to stop it bringing the light up for this particular non-emissions related equipment. I thought while I'm in there I'll wind a little more boost in. The question I have is this: Are the stock timing maps conservative enough that I can feed it a little more boost without it knocking? Car is completely stock, and always run on 98.

Hard parts will be getting changed down the track, and it will get a proper tune then, but for now, if it's safe enough, I'd like to wind a little more into it.

Cheers, Ben

Advanced Tuner
    I have a FG with all the bolt on fruit like intercooler, big exhaust, cross over pipe delete and I put in a stock tune where all I did was scale the injectors and change a table where it delays boost cut. It hits 18psi on stock maps (cause of big exh) on stock timing/boost maps and the knock retard works really well. It will pull alot of timing which shows that the safety net works and why no one has blown up an engine due to too much timing. So you are pretty safe if you are working from a stock unmolested map. If molested then knock could be turned off so you need to check you are getting knock counts and timing retards into the negative area in the datalogs. There should be no pinging sounds.