Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AEM 30-0333 - OBD / CAN connection on Scanner 3.4

Tuner in Training

AEM 30-0333 - OBD / CAN connection on Scanner 3.4

Would anyone have some tips for connecting the AEM 30-0333 through the OBD / CAN port and logging in the scanner? Scanner version is 3.4.xx I have the wideband installed and hooked up the pass-through cable to the OBD port, but I'm not getting any wideband in the scanner. Everything else is coming through the OBD port just fine. In the scanner, I am using the AEM - AFR channel. Is this correct? Most of the instructions I found regarding the AEM going through the OBD / CAN port were for the 30-0300 and beta scanner s/w. In these instructions there was a different PID channel called WB EQ Ratio 1 (SAE).... I assumed that no longer exists because I don't see that anywhere! When I start the log, the AEM - AFR channel disappears.

Anyway, here is what I see in the scanner....
    AEM - scanner setup.JPG

Can anyone confirm the DEFAULT AEM settings are proper for plug-and-play?
    AEM 30-0333 - Defaults.JPG

Vehicle - 2007 Silverado 1500 (NNBS) - 6.0L - E38 (I'm not even 100% this truck is CAN-bus, vs pre-CAN, but I assume so because it's kind of a transition year to Gen IV). I saw some stuff about a termination resistor with the 30-0300 and pre-CAN vehicles, but I'm not sure this applies for the newer AEM factory cable.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

Tuner in Training
    I saw JPC had a similar problem and ended up being a programming problem from AEM. So...I called AEM and asked about the programming. The guy said 2007 won't work because it's not the right CAN, or it's not CAN at all, I wasn't clear about what he was saying. He said something about 2008 and newer. Like I said, I thought this 2007 NNBS was kind of a hybrid with mostly 2008+ style controls, but AEM says otherwise.

Anyway, here's the info log if anyone can tell me if I have the right CAN to be compatible with the 30-0333. I see CAN all over the log but no idea what it means....

[Specific Vehicle]
    2007 Chevrolet Silverado (8 cyl) 4.8 5.3 6.0

ID: 1100252084
    Hardware: 0121
    Firmware: 0120
    PartNumber: 0000006220
    BuildDate: 3/6/2009 12:00:00 AM
    InterfaceOnTime: 00:02:31.1300000
    ROM: 00 3F 00 82 00 01 00 00 FF
    Config: CC 88 00 00 00 40
    System Info: F7 00 00 00
    Comm Errors: 00 00 00 00 00
    SPI Info: 20 15 FF FF 4E 41 00 00
    VehicleConnectedTime: 00:02:31.1300000
    DetectedProtocols: CAN

SAE J1979 Info: CAN, 500 kb/s, Standard 11 bit, 500 kb/s, None: 7EE, None: 7EB, ECM: 7E8, None: 7EA

ECM: 7E8, CAN - E38, GM Gen4 V8
    2007 Chevrolet Silverado 1500, 6.0 L, 8 Cyl
    Serial: 86YPLAK1635301EB
    Calibration IDs: 12614088, 12623198, 12614219, 12614318, 12616094, 12617237, 12605899, 12617239
    Calibration VNs: 0000B737, 0000A404, 0000BB8B, 0000BACB, 00003371, 00005B97, 0000C846, 00006F26
    Basic PIDs: 44
    Trouble Codes:
    Controller Type ID By OS: 5010
    Diagnostic Requirements: None
    Scanning Methods: ISO 15031-5 Mode 0x01 Functional, ISO 15031-5 Mode 0x01 Physical, SAE J2190 Mode 0x22, HPT Mode 0x23, GM Mode 0x2C 0x2D 0xAA, CAN Listener

None: 7EA, CAN - T42, GM A4
    Serial: BKYNNHK063530904
    Calibration IDs: 24239927, 24242801, 24243554, 24242799
    Calibration VNs: 0000093D, 000084D1, 000073B1, 0000FDF7
    Basic PIDs: 7
    Trouble Codes:
    Controller Type ID By OS: 50
    Diagnostic Requirements: None
    Scanning Methods: ISO 15031-5 Mode 0x01 Functional, ISO 15031-5 Mode 0x01 Physical, SAE J2190 Mode 0x22, HPT Mode 0x23, GM Mode 0x2C 0x2D 0xAA, CAN Listener

None: 7EB, CAN
    Calibration IDs: 15805650, 15805654, 15805660
    Calibration VNs: 0000FEEC, 00009FFA, 00002D5A
    Basic PIDs: 8
    Trouble Codes:
    Scanning Methods: ISO 15031-5 Mode 0x01 Functional, ISO 15031-5 Mode 0x01 Physical, CAN Listener

Tuner in Training
    FIXED!!!

After calling AEM to discuss all of the CAN references in the info log, I kept getting the same runaround that it's not a 2008 so we don't know (and apparently don't care!). I said fine, I'm trying it on 2011 Ford in the driveway to make sure it's not a problem with the gauge. So, I parked my truck next to the Ford and stretched some wires though the windows. I saw there was WB EQ Ratio 1 and WB EQ Ratio 2 already in the Ford list so I randomly changed PID to #6 on the gauge (default = 1). Sure enough, it came up just fine in the scanner. Well looks like the guy at AEM was right, sort of.

I apologize to the AEM tech support guy for all the prodding about the gauge programming, if he reads this!

But wait....

After plugging everything back into the truck, and PID #6 still set on gauge, I fired up the scanner for giggles. There it was, WB EQ Ratio 6, working like it should! For whatever reason PID #6, and maybe others, works and PID #1 (default) did not. According to the instructions you only have to change from default PID #1 if you have factory widebands, which this truck does not. I'll leave it up to someone else smarter than me to figure out the root cause (pre-2008 CAN protocol, instructions, gauge programming, etc.). Good luck and try some other O2 PID's on the gauge if default isn't working.

FIX:
    Gauge PID O2 #1 (default) = no luck
    Gauge PID O2 #6 = success!

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the post, I was just about to post the question on here as I have the same AEM guage, just trying to get it to register in the HP tuners VCM Suite that arrived today. I havn't changed the PID on the AEM yet, so I will give that a go. I have a 2000 Trans-Am.

Advanced Tuner
    If your car is a year 2000, it probably is not a CAN vehicle

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    If your car is a year 2000, it probably is not a CAN vehicle
    Thanks you are probably right, I've tried all sorts of settings on the guage, cant get it to register in HP-tuners.

I guess i have two options. either take the analogue output from the guage to the EGR voltage(no EGR fitted), done this many years ago, tidy as no extra wires visible inside.
    The other option is to wire it into the analogue input of the MPVI

Potential Tuner
    I put the question to AEM and their response was

Unfortunately, the OBD2 output from the 30-0333 is CAN based and is only compatible with vehicles 2008 and newer. I recommend using a 30-0300 X-Series Wideband Gauge Controller instead. You will then be able to send the correct analog signal to you HP Tuners.
    Although HP tuners can read CAN, in theory shouldn't you be able to read this sensor providing the car doesn't have anything else on these CAN signals. If the CAN signals are floating due to the car not using them then perhaps termination is required. Anyway, looking at the AEM product info, there are wires for Analogue out +/-, so I can pull these direct into the MPVI Pro pod. So I can get a nice tidy method of doing this. Just thought I'd update the thread with the AEM response.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes. You can add the analog output wires to the 30-0333. The link to the pins for the connector is in this thread, somewhere...

Tuner in Training
    RedWS600 - yeah I think 2000 is a little too far ahead of 2008 CAN, and whatever CAN variants they implemented in the years prior to that, for this gauge to work the easy way. I saw your comment about the floating CAN signals and I know what you are talking about because I was thinking the same thing. The first thing I checked was my OBD connector. I think it's pins 6 and 14 that are used for CAN. My truck had these pins populated so I gave up on the mini CAN network idea. IF those pins are empty in your car, is it possible to add terminating resistors in place of a CAN network running throughout the car???? Basically your entire CAN network would run between the gauge and HPTuners. Good question. My guess is the protocol on HPTuners side, configured to read the older OBD cars, is completely different and they wouldn't be able to support mixed types of communications? Maybe dr.mike could explain the different data formats and why they can or cannot be mixed.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dingo16123 View Post
    RedWS600 - yeah I think 2000 is a little too far ahead of 2008 CAN, and whatever CAN variants they implemented in the years prior to that, for this gauge to work the easy way. I saw your comment about the floating CAN signals and I know what you are talking about because I was thinking the same thing. The first thing I checked was my OBD connector. I think it's pins 6 and 14 that are used for CAN. My truck had these pins populated so I gave up on the mini CAN network idea. IF those pins are empty in your car, is it possible to add terminating resistors in place of a CAN network running throughout the car???? Basically your entire CAN network would run between the gauge and HPTuners. Good question. My guess is the protocol on HPTuners side, configured to read the older OBD cars, is completely different and they wouldn't be able to support mixed types of communications? Maybe dr.mike could explain the different data formats and why they can or cannot be mixed.
    Totally agree, and dfid wonder if HP Tuners could read CAN at the same time as older OBDII cars. I did find those pins where thew CAN would be on my car are used some something else, so I would need to isolate them, and do the CAN termination so the CAN comms is just between the gauge and HP Tuners.
    My OBD II Pin Out

Number Pin
    Name Description
    1 Second UART
    2 J1850 J1850(+) VPW
    3 Comfort
    4 GND Chassis ground
    5 SGND Signal Ground
    6 HS-CAN PCM
    7 K-Line n/c
    8 CCM
    9 first UART
    10 PWM n/c
    11 EVA controller
    12 ABS
    13 SIR
    14 HS-CAN(-) E&C
    15 L-Line n/c
    16 Battery+ Battery +, unswitched
    Since 2002, there is another pinout - GM-LAN (for vehicles equipped with CAN bus)

The OBDII with CAN
    Number Pin
    Name Description
    1 SW-LS-CAN (33kB) or DW-FT-CAN (+) (<125kB)

2 J1850 n/a
    3 MS-CAN (+) (95kB)
    4 GND Chassis ground
    5 SGND Signal Ground
    6 HS-CAN ISO 15765 HS-CAN (+) (500kB)
    7 K-Line n/a
    8 n/a
    9 DW-FT-CAN (-) (<125kB)
    10 PWM n/c
    11 MS-CAN (-) (95kB)
    12 K-Line (KW82 Prot.)
    13 reserved
    14 HS-CAN(-) ISO 15765 HS-CAN (-) (500kB)
    15 L-Line n/a
    16 Battery+ Battery +, unswitched

However what I dont in the end is when the analogue route, must have only been 30mins to do it.

The Green and Brown on the 10 way is CAN out from the gauge

These two wires need to move to pins 9&10 for analogue output. I chose to use the same wires as the crimps for the connector already there. Saves trying to find some around at work, and I won't be using the CAN wires.

Moved the wires to pins 9 & 10.
    I wonder be using the OBDII connector that came with the gauge, so chopped it off, and used dome high quality differential screened 2 core cable. to solder onto the wires to extend the analogue signals. Verified with a volt meter and ran them into the HP Tuners analogue input.

Got the Scanner software to read from Analogue Input 1, applied the AEM conversion formula, and hey presto, the readings on the scanner match the gauge. Well happy, and it took only around half hour to do.

Tuner in Training
    Nice job working with what you had. I'm sure this will save somebody the hassle of finding wires and pins for the analog route.

To answer the question about HPTuners reading CAN and older OBDII VPW communications at the same time, it looks like dr. Mike and crew covered this pretty well in the other AEM 30-0300 thread. It's a bit confusing because in the beginning of the thread HPTuners was able to read the CAN wideband signal on older OBDII VPW cars. This was a dual protocol setup, which is pretty neat. HPTuners seems to have dropped this dual protocol support somewhere along the way and it no longer works.

In summary, for GM vehicles:
    Pre-2008 cars (VPW) - CAN (AEM W/B) + VPW (older OBDII) = dual protocol used to be supported by HPTuners but no longer supported. Required termination resistor(s) on the CANbus lines.
    Pre-2008 cars (CAN) - CAN (AEM W/B) + pre-2008 CAN = may or may not work. Should work from HPTuners end but no guarantee from AEM. Worked on 2007 Silverado NNBS.
    2008+ cars (CAN) - CAN (AEM W/B) + 2008+ CAN = supported by HPTuners and AEM

Tuner in Training
    Will be trying this on my 2006 GTO , hope I can get the OBDII to work supposed to be here from summit tomorrow . GTO is a CAN vehicle. If not will be following the thread probably go the route REDWS600 did .

Have went through 2 innovates an 3 sensors in two years , (lc2, mtxl) . Had a 30-4110 still works but offset or just weather seemed to change it to much an don't like being centered on 14.2 , sold (on friends carbureted 454) . Then went to the NGK AFX Gen 2 best have tried so far offset never a problem but now has a glitch last digit in afr or lambda flutters on HP but not on the controllers display have redone an checked all wiring watched with a graphing multimeter snapon vantage coming from contollers analog out so another down the tube ... all mounted in kooks longtubes sensor sits about 2`oclock in header. Have tried moving downstream into "offroad" pipe before catback with no help to longevity of innovate sensor . NGK still works good on controllers display original sensor been in bank 1 for year. Just re did my setup tfs 215 cnc instead of 243's an added a fast 92 an bigger thump stick 242 618 632 112 +2 , So been trying to dial the ve in more so hope to give the AEM 33-0333 a try .

Tuner in Training
    JDV - if you don't mind coming back with you results on the GTO, I would appreciate it. I have an Innovate LM1 on my 2005 and it eats sensors like cookie monster eats...well you get the idea. My wideband is in the kooks mid pipe, since O2's are still in the front positions. I'm curious to see how this AEM goes, especially getting it working on the CAN in the GTO. If it works, in might be the motivation I need to get rid of the LM1, finally!

Tuner in Training
    Will do it shows mine shipped today is that my house so when I get home tonight I may have time to do something with it if not I'll let you know by Monday

Tuner in Training
    It works shows up as WB EQ RATIO 1 in channels an is displaying while logging worked with factory setting .
    Can I get it to display in afr or just lambda ?

Tuner in Training
    Good to know it works on the GTO! The default units should be LAMBDA, but you can right click on the channel and select from a variety of different units (AFR gas, AFR ethanol, etc). If you want AFR of some other value, than what's listed, you'll have to use TOOLS>MATH PARAMETERS and multiply lambda by whatever value you want.

Potential Tuner
    So did we confirm in this post that you can Log on the Scanner alone in an 08+ vehicle? I have a 2010 Camaro SS and I would like to log without my laptop in the car the whole time. The CAN connector in the 0333 will record in the standalone scanner data-log feature right? (internal)

Thanks!

Advanced Tuner
    What about standalone logging? I can't get to see that channel after a log. Only when logging through a laptop it shows. Any ideas from the Hpt crew on how??

Quote Originally Posted by HNK View Post
    What about standalone logging? I can't get to see that channel after a log. Only when logging through a laptop it shows. Any ideas from the Hpt crew on how??
    Asked the question at SEMA. Firmware issue with the current MPVI Pro interface. No updates planned. Probably available in the next version of the MPVI Pro interface.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by dingo16123 View Post
    FIXED!!!

After calling AEM to discuss all of the CAN references in the info log, I kept getting the same runaround that it's not a 2008 so we don't know (and apparently don't care!). I said fine, I'm trying it on 2011 Ford in the driveway to make sure it's not a problem with the gauge. So, I parked my truck next to the Ford and stretched some wires though the windows. I saw there was WB EQ Ratio 1 and WB EQ Ratio 2 already in the Ford list so I randomly changed PID to #6 on the gauge (default = 1). Sure enough, it came up just fine in the scanner. Well looks like the guy at AEM was right, sort of.

I apologize to the AEM tech support guy for all the prodding about the gauge programming, if he reads this!

But wait....

After plugging everything back into the truck, and PID #6 still set on gauge, I fired up the scanner for giggles. There it was, WB EQ Ratio 6, working like it should! For whatever reason PID #6, and maybe others, works and PID #1 (default) did not. According to the instructions you only have to change from default PID #1 if you have factory widebands, which this truck does not. I'll leave it up to someone else smarter than me to figure out the root cause (pre-2008 CAN protocol, instructions, gauge programming, etc.). Good luck and try some other O2 PID's on the gauge if default isn't working.

FIX:
    Gauge PID O2 #1 (default) = no luck
    Gauge PID O2 #6 = success!

dingo16123,

How did you go about changing the PID from #1 to PID 6 on the gauge? I am having the same issue.
    Thank you,
    Jake
    2015 Toyota Tundra Limited 4X4 5.7L
    K&N Cold Air Intake
    2006 Base LS2

Pfadt 1 7/8" long tube headers w/ 3"collectors, Tick Performance 231/235/111, Comp Cams Ultra Gold 2122 1.82 ratio rocker arms,
    X-pipe, high flow cats, Z06 mufflers , Vararam power wedge, and BC coilovers,