Thread: Manual Valve body 4L80e

Potential Tuner

Manual Valve body 4L80e

Hey I'm have a manual valve body 4L80e with a 3000 stall. I have gotten the car tuned so that it will idle in park but as soon as I shift it into gear it stalls out. Any ideas on what needs to be done?

Advanced Tuner
    Post your tune when you get a chance.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks, I think I attached it properly. I have a friend that is tuning it for me but he is saying that my ms4 camshaft is too big for the 3k stall I have. That is why whenever you transition from park to any drive gear it stalls right out. I have seen other videos of cars with a similar set up work. What is my friend and I missing?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    OK … you are running an early (1998) PCM with a single segment calibration. It does not appear that the vehicle has been “tuned” using a wideband oxygen sensor - but rather that some tables have been adjusted by a fixed percentage.

With a camshaft upgrade, you need to undertake a proper tune - bringing the MAF calibration and both VE tables (primary & secondary) into agreement with the engine’s new airflow.

As a temporary crutch for the in gear stalling issue, take a look at the Idle Underspeed spark parameters - some of these have “0” entries - try initially setting these in the 10 to 15 degree spark advance range. If this helps, adjust as necessary to prevent an erratic idle / hunting / flare.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you. I will make the changes you suggested and load it tomorrow or Wednesday evening. I work late Mondays. I'll let you know how it worked.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for your help. I did as you said about adding timing to help with the stalling in gear and it worked perfectly. I had to go up to 20 degrees of timing for it to idle. I am going to tweak it more on the weekend. The car is running really rich and choking up when I apply throttle to spike the rpms. If you have any suggestions or input it would be much appreciated. I am just looking for guidance since my tuner immediately wanted me to swap out the torque converter instead making the changes you told me. Jon S. you helped me a lot!