Thread: Transparent Background

Potential Tuner

Transparent Background

Hi, been using RaceRender for a couple of years with no issue. I've managed to sort just about everything out as I want (just wish I could say the same about getting data out of a locked down Caterham ECU).

For my first post on here I have a very odd question considering RaceRender is about putting data together with video's - is there anyway of creating a video in RaceRender with a transparent main video - yes I know this sound stooopid. Basically I just want the gauges, logos and general graphics but I need to hand the output over to someone else to add the video for a promo for our race series.

John

The output video formats (.MP4 / H.264 and others) don't support transparency, but the usual way to accommodate this is to create a bright green colored background, and then use the chromakey functionality of the other video software you intend to use, which can make the green areas become transparent.

To set this up in RaceRender, click the "Add" button under the 'Display Objects" section, choose "Shape", then click on the "Green Screen" style. That should cover the entire screen, so now right-click on it and choose "Move to Bottom" to make it become your background.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    The output video formats (.MP4 / H.264 and others) don't support transparency, but the usual way to accommodate this is to create a bright green colored background, and then use the chromakey functionality of the other video software you intend to use, which can make the green areas become transparent.

To set this up in RaceRender, click the "Add" button under the 'Display Objects" section, choose "Shape", then click on the "Green Screen" style. That should cover the entire screen, so now right-click on it and choose "Move to Bottom" to make it become your background.
    Ok, I will give that a go and see if the "other guys" can work with it. Thanks.