Thread: Post turbo O2 sensor transport delay

Tuner in Training

Post turbo O2 sensor transport delay

Anyone have their oxygen sensors in their downpipes?
    I'm trying to make an educated guess for O2 sensor transport delay for my 6.2L Raptor based on what other people are using for delays in their post turbine O2 setups.

A little about my setup:
    I made some Tri-y turbo headers that are maybe 1/3 to 1/2 the length of long tube headers and the O2 sensors are going to be 12-24 inches after the downpipes. I'm still building the pipes and will just need to make a heat exchanger support and mount the AWIC pump, but otherwise I should be up and running this weekend.

Started off with doubling the transport delay. I found a useful post by Murfie with some explanation of how to tune the delays so will be going by advice in that thread. Passenger side is about 8 to 10 inches longer due to packaging so I'm expecting to put the O2 sensor 4 to 6 inches further downstream in the opposite downpipe to sort of compensate for differences in delay (header is 1.5" schedule 10 - with secondaries merging to 2" sch 10 pipe (~2.1" ID). I have 3" downpipes, and velocity should be much less after the turbine.

Using Borgwarner EFR 7163 turbos with internal wastegates for packaging and to keep things simple.

Advanced Tuner
    I love the EFR series...you can also increase transport delay learn to 2 seconds, which is the maximum. The ECM is capable of learning the delay, but you will need to set the delay table to be within 2 seconds of what the actual delay is.

TD is learned, so log it.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

I haven't seen TD as an available channel on any Copperhead or Tricore ECMs that I've tuned yet.

Senior Tuner
    Generally watch your commanded vs actual lambda and make sure the "waves" of each are the same size at a steady load. Easy to see at idle, harder to see in higher than idle rpms and higher loads which use a different delay.

Quote Originally Posted by Witt View Post
    I haven't seen TD as an available channel on any Copperhead or Tricore ECMs that I've tuned yet.
    It's on the 2015+ V8 stuff for certain. If you'd like a channel added, please email support.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Tuner in Training
    It's on my 14 mustang.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    It's on the 2015+ V8 stuff for certain. If you'd like a channel added, please email support.
    Quote Originally Posted by longstroke View Post
    It's on my 14 mustang.
    Thanks for the heads up on that. I'll shoot support an email in the future when I need it if it isn't added to the strategy ID I'm tuning at the time.

Senior Tuner
    Thanks for the heads up on that. I'll shoot support an email in the future when I need it if it isn't added to the strategy ID I'm tuning at the time.
    They will ask for an infolog. Just a reminder because I always forget to get one and never end up getting anything added because of it. I'm going to try to make it a habit to get one from every car I tune.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
    I love the EFR series...you can also increase transport delay learn to 2 seconds, which is the maximum. The ECM is capable of learning the delay, but you will need to set the delay table to be within 2 seconds of what the actual delay is.

I think I maxed that out . As far as TD goes, I'll go in and look for it when I do some logging and email support if I don't find it. Basically just log it, and then pop it into the delay tables so it doesn't have to relearn upon a reflash eh?

I prescaled the MAF with intercooler in stock config so I should be pretty close in terms of MAF scaling up to the stock 40lb/min flow rate.
    I should be able to fire it up today, just need to wire in the IC pump and boost controller. Will have to post some pictures

Thanks for the tips everyone.
    Last edited by aksubiedubie; 05-25-2017 at 05:54 PM.