Thread: 2012 Camaro LS3 - TH400 Swap

Tuner in Training

Exclamation 2012 Camaro LS3 - TH400 Swap

Hello,

I put a TH400 (reverse full manual) into my 2012 Camaro LS3 ... now I need to know what do I have to change with HPTuners???

Thank you in advance,

Bj?rn

Just curious why you would do that? You just installed a weaker transmission in the car with less gears. Everything about the swap is going backwards so curious behind your thinking on this. Everything talks to each other on these cars not even sure if changing to a manual will help in that setup. It's going to need a speed input and output to be rigged on the setup at a minimum think most do something on the drive shaft maybe.
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Tuner in Training
    Weaker??? The car is used on the dragstrip only ... so the TH400 is much better than a stickshift transmission for bracketracing ...

I thought you pulled a 6l80e in place of it and actually yes the standard in that car stock can handle over 1000 whp stock and would have to put every upgrade available in a 400 to make it near as strong. I build transmissions for a living 25 or so years now I have a 700r4 I push 800 whp through 4l60e I have in a 6000 lbs tahoe with an lsa blower 14 lbs of boost it don't break. The newer stuff has become more reliable then the old and why no one does swaps like that any more. A 4l80e would have been a much better choice over that 400 or if had bought a 6l80e car and just ran it. I've seen it done but looking at a can of worms from what I have read on guys having headaches doing it this way and why when people do hot rod swaps they keep the stock trans with the combo. I would look into custom builds I just read something on this recently putting a 5.3 in a 55 chevy with a super t10 in the car was recent so should be in search. You would be surprised how this new stuff is much better and stronger then what was thought to be best. Cars now make so much more hp and are a lot heavier then before so even a built 400 will give up much faster in a 4000 lbs camaro unless you have gutted it and got it much lighter. We don't swap anymore on 1000 hp builds we just build what's there stronger as so much out there for it now.
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Advanced Tuner
    More than a few LS3 / L99 Camaro drag cars that have been converted to TH400 transmissions.

If this was previously a 6L80 car, you will need to bridge (connect) the CAN terminals from the now unused 6L80 transmission connector plug. You will also need to rig up a switch for Park / Neutral (grounds the circuit) to allow starting.

If this was previously an M6 (TR6060) car, then you will need to retain the clutch switch to allow starting.

With 2010+ Camaros, the speedometer (in dash) functions via a Serial Data input, which originates from the wheel speed sensors - so you don't have to rig up any kind of VSS for the speedometer - it will continue to function with the TH400 swap. The HPT scanner will always display 158 MPH or 255 KPH.

Tuner in Training
    It is a LS3 so it was a M6 TR6060 ^^

Even 3.000 hp por mods use TH400 transmissions, because of their possible strength :-)

The speedo doesn't work, because the 2010+ Camaro has also a speed sensor in the transmission ... I will switch it off in HPTuners, becuase the car runs into a limiter between 4500 and 5000 and I think it's because the speedsensor is missing ...

I thankfull for any help :-D

Advanced Tuner
    A few years ago we did the conversion tune on a 2010 Camaro that had been an A6 (6L80), and was converted to a TH400. The speedometer in the dash continued to function without adding a VSS - speed was transmitted on the CAN Bus network from the wheel sensors (ABS).

Not certain if the difference with your conversion is the M6 (TR6060) starting point, or a difference between the 2010 and 2012 Camaro ECM OS.

Post your tune if you want ... will take a look ... perhaps something will stand out as an issue.

They normally take some driving for the wheel speed sensor speedo in the dash to work. Still doesn't solve the ecm not having a signal. Last two that we have done, we used a pickup wheel and sensor off the driveshaft or rear end yoke.
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

Tuner in Training
    The car runs incredible ... I had to raise just the wheel speed sensor limiter ... for my first race of the season it's okay to go without the speedo ... I can't wait for the first runs to find out what times are possible after the swap :-D