Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ls3/480 2002 z28

Advanced Tuner
    What are you on about?
    just relax man

I am relaxed. I just hunted through a bunch of pages to find this thread and didn't realize all that junk was in it. I thought I remembered it as something I could share like this:

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=282746

I like to maintain build threads on multiple forums so if there is ever a problem with a website I still have my digital resume, if you will. So when i want to show someone a gen 3 pd blown lsx roadster like this:

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=271354

That is also here:

https://www.superchargerforums.com/t...roadster.3131/

So it just sucked a bit to hunt down a thread just to realize I wont use it. But it's all good I just couldn't post new pics here without clearing the air about the last few posts. And I do have more coming to post on this car.

Tuner in Training doctorbigblock's Avatar
    auto wiz
    I am a retired avionics after 30 years in the industry. I respect the time and effort you have put in to get your education. I had to split hairs in calibration of many units and understand their is better and best way of doing most everything. that being said when we all modify any of these systems there is not usually the luxury of exact procedures or specs after our changes. I am in the process of attempting a 24x conversion on mk-4 427 to allow a gen 3 controller to be used. I will have to older knock sensors and attempt some sort of cal. My point being even your relocation of original sensors to the side of the block and using original calibration, it still represents a modification and I am doubtful if the any gm engineering blessings for it. we all are treading new ground many of our projects. I enjoy and appreciate your perspective, but we all have our own swags.

guy, you are confusing what you are doing with this thread. This is an ls to ls swap. Ok from a first gen ls to a third gen ls. It is like a 2001 corvette vs. a 2008 corvette. ya? and the knock sensors don't go from an optimal location to a non optimal location. right? GM just moved them to a slightly different optimal location to free up the valley for the DOD stuff. But they are still in a optimal location and while overlooked by the masses here they are also an equal length from the crankshaft. I know that all of you don't get to see the things I do. And that is why I am here to help explain these things. When gm switches to a different sensor location or type, it generally doesn't change in function too much. We need to understand why the sensor changed. This sensor didn't move for a new calibration. It moved because gm needed to put something else there. So they found the very next best place. Allow me to draw out a few examples. First would be the gm iat sensor. This sensor was a separate 2 wire plastic thing that had its own hole in the intake snorkel in most 90's gm vehicles. This sensor used to be a metal sensor that screwed into the plenum on a tuned port motor in the 80's and towards the end of the 90's finally found its way into the maf. But all throughout the calibration of a gm iat sensor has remained the same. when the sensor was mounted inside the plenum obviously the iat timing tables needed to be different because the sensor was prone to seeing higher temps but moving the sensor from the snorkel to the maf also in the snorkel warrants absolutely no change except switching to a 5 pin plug for the new maf.

And what is this "we are all treading new ground ..."? do you have a frog in your pocket? Let me show you a few other times I have set this up..

That went into this: https://www.superchargerforums.com/t...roadster.3131/

That bad boy went into my Corvette: https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sho...-tuning-79930/

And that alone makes 3 examples. But I can wax on because we regularly transplant ls3/7 based engines into gen 3 vehicles. Mostly corvettes. I moved past figuring things out shortly before I started making the salary I do. Figuring out and learning is for the enthusiast or the hobbyist. But the Professional, by definition, better know his stuff inside and out.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorbigblock View Post
    auto wiz
    I am a retired avionics after 30 years in the industry. I respect the time and effort you have put in to get your education. I had to split hairs in calibration of many units and understand their is better and best way of doing most everything. that being said when we all modify any of these systems there is not usually the luxury of exact procedures or specs after our changes. I am in the process of attempting a 24x conversion on mk-4 427 to allow a gen 3 controller to be used. I will have to older knock sensors and attempt some sort of cal. My point being even your relocation of original sensors to the side of the block and using original calibration, it still represents a modification and I am doubtful if the any gm engineering blessings for it. we all are treading new ground many of our projects. I enjoy and appreciate your perspective, but we all have our own swags.
    Bud you seem to be a little lost here so please let me help you. The knock sensors, for GM, didn't change in style or function from their creation until 2005 when they switched to the smaller style for the gen iv controllers. There are different part numbers for ls1/ls6 knock sensors and for small block/LT based knock sensors because of the thread pitch. Small block used a npt thread that was tapered and screwed the knock sensor right into the block drain hole(WOW did we just now realize that gm moved the sensors back to their original position before they moved them to the valley?!) And for ls the knock sensor was just made to be a metric bolt thread. But the piezoelectric sensors were identical in every other way.

So if you are mounting your sensors in the npt block drains then you need a pair of ac delco part # 10456287. And if you are going into a blind hole then you want to use ac delco part number #12589867. Look up both of these and understand better what you are struggling with.
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 11-19-2017 at 12:39 PM.

I am just going to come out and say this right now. All of my career has taught me that there are 3 important aspects to building. There is electrical, there is hardware, and there is software. And the real skill can work these three together. And to properly operate in this environment we need to be well versed and have a good understanding of all 3. This gentleman has lost in the electrical vs. hardware. He has tied the 2 together in his mind. And because the sensor is different outside or because it mounts in a different spot means it must be different electrically. And so the software needs to be different. This thinking is flawed in the face of what we are doing here. Spending time understand the history and evolution of GM's fuel injection systems will give a great insight into what we are doing today. But then so would a course in electronics. Have I mentioned yet that I have every a.s.e. certification offered pertaining to anything electrical? As a rule of thumb, if it rolls on wheels and it runs on electricity I am certified to be re wiring it. I know it is just more bragging, but it took effort to get those certifications that had nothing to do with what I was doing. I am a school bus tech, I am a transit bus tech, I am a medium/heavy truck tech all because of these electrical certs I had to have just to make a point. Here are all my patches from a.s.e. and ultimately my professional titles..

I grabbed this picture from my profile on digitalcorvettes.com. If I was a little more self centered, I might have more recent pictures. But 2014 is only 3 years ago and a.s.e.'s are good for 4. I will get more recent pics to keep the pride up.

Tuner in Training doctorbigblock's Avatar
    I have worked an entire career around some of the biggest ego's that most can imagine in both the medical and aviation industries. However I do believe you set a new standard. I have no frogs in my pockets but you may have some bats in the belfry. anyone who is so full of himself as you are can be told nothing or learn nothing so this will be my last response as any more would be a waste of time. You do elude to comments like "it generally doesn't change in function", since you have never been in the position of being liable for the safety of an aircraft full of passengers at 50,000 FT or a patient in a cath lab with a catheter in their heart. you need to understand their are times when their is know room for close enough. the FAA requires any change from original design be blessed by the original equipment manufacture before it can be implemented. It has been my experience that it is almost impossible to change one parameter without effecting another. if you can post us the certification of your change from the gm engineering department I will concede. this however would be quite expensive but a man of your means might be able to do it. The FAA requires any change from original design be blessed by the original equipment manufacture before it can be implemented. you seem to be so proud of paperwork on the wall, you are not the only one with certifications and diplomas. and by the way if you really understood resonance as well as you think you do, you would know that it is effected by the material type, physical dimensions, density, distance the sound in this case has to travel, and any dampening such as added material such as supercharger and I am sure many more. you are right in comment that there is a strong relationship between electronics, the software and the mechanics of this great hobby. all three of these are careers in themselves and no one not even you can live long enough to know everything about all of them much less stay current. it is enjoyable playing with something that can be modified and transplanted at will and if responsibly used not put anyone else at risk if something fails. The whole point for most people here is to learn, and enjoy the feeling of accomplishment. I have no desire to get into a xxxing contest with you as neither one of us has any thing to prove. as I said once before I generally enjoy your commitment to quality and detail. We are not enemy nor wish to insult your accomplishments. You have obviously built some nice toys. just chill out.

This is not the medical or aviation industry. And I never accused you of figuring out what you were doing there. I did try to offer you some clarification on your knock sensor confusion. And for that you are very welcome. I am sorry you are struggling in a different industry than where you have spent all your life. This industry is where I have spent my whole life and I know at least as much here as you know there. I would never dare insinuate to another professional that they were figuring out what they were doing in their trade.

Potential Tuner
    Hello,

I did the same engine swap. I see you indicated you'd post the tune. Is there an hpt file you can share? Thank you.

Advanced Tuner
    Why don't you name your shop so those of us nearby can't stop by and use your services.

WIZ!

Hello AutoWIZ. I have a client that brought me a P01 ECM from a 99 firebird. He installed a LS376/525 Crate motor and hooked up a Lingefelter module for the reluctor conversion. He has a 92 mm TB cable driven. I have never converted a Gen 4 to a Gen 3 system. I also noticed you said you would post up the tune, I cant find it. So I was wondering if you wouldnt mind helping an up and coming tuner, to get this running. I guess I am worried about the ETC Scaler, Base Running airflow, idle surge, ect. Anything you think I should look for, be cautions of other than the normal concerns of starting a new engine.