Thread: Scanner TCC MODE and TCC APPLIED clarification

Scanner TCC MODE and TCC APPLIED clarification

I did a forum search guys and it doesn't come up with anything. Please see signature for truck specifics. When I took my truck for a transmission test run/scan this morning (yes sir, I've got few things to work through on this trans), I recorded;

TCC Mode -

- In park and driving 1st gear - scanner shows TCC MODE "off"
    - But, when I hit 2nd gear - it switches to "Apply En"?????? Do we know what "Apply En" means? I cant seem to find this meaning anywhere.
    - Lastly, "Apply En" stays there (up through the rest of the gears),... till I hit the required MPH/TPS to lock the TCC - right before the TCC locks, it goes from "Apply En,... to Apply,... then Locked" - please see attached scan around frame 12:00:30,... to see what I mean,....

The only time it switches back to "off" is when I stop at a light (or something). Is all the above right?

TCC Applied -

- As soon as I start moving, and get above ~6mph - my "TCC Applied" switches from 'NO" to "YES",....... is this right? Please see attached scan around frame 11:51:54 as an example,... and throughout scan/it's the same.
    - The only time it switches back to "NO" is when I stop at a light (or something).

What does this "TCC Applied" actually represent? When I first saw it, I thought it meant --- The TCC actually applied/ locked up??? But, I'm wrong as usual,... Or, maybe I've done something wrong?

Thanks for the help explaining this to a new guy like me,.... I truly appreciate it fellars,.....
    Totally restored - 1996 GMC K1500 ext cab, HT383e swap, MPFI spider, 0411 PCM swap, FLT Level 5 4L60e with Sonnax Smart Tech input housing, Tru-Cool 40k transmission cooler with -6AN lines, 1-5/8" Hedman Husler long tube race headers with 2-1/2"ss dual exhaust, rebuilt 3.73 rear axle with Yukon/Detroit Helical locker, 6" ProComp lift with steering stabilizer and rear traction bars, 35x12.50x15 BFG All Terrains, Perma-Cool e-fans, etc, etc, etc,..

Advanced Tuner
    It means the person who did the programming for hptuners wasn't a car person. They drive their car from A to B and back. They have someone else change their oil. They get a flat tire they call triple a. Check the oil? how do you do that LMAO

I did the same basic test when I built my last trans. The best I can figure is "Apply En" means the TCC PWM solenoid is getting a signal and pulsing the TCC solenoid.

It looks like your stuff is working properly, yours looks like mine looked and I can tell more by how it drives than by what the scanner says. The problem is YOU have to feel it's working properly, and due to things in hptuners descriptions not making sense I can't help you with that.

Bwaaaaahahaha,....I agree with you there man,..,.it could be simpler or better explained/labeled for sure. And thanks for confirming it looks in bounds,...yes sir, my butt has already told me there's an issue (please see my other post - 4L60e issues,...bout to take a 50cal to it,....)

"Best I can figure",....man, that made me chuckle (thanks for that) because I thought about this all night and kept saying to myself "Best I can figure is",....

Here's what my "best I can figure" came up with (I'm undoubtedly wrong here, so please freely correct me):

TCC MODE
    - SHOULD be the TCC lock up solenoid (the one in the forward pump). The "Apply En(abled?)" is a separate function, internal to the PCM programming, stating all the predetermined points have been meet to enable TCC lock? I think you nailed it JasonB,..."Apply En" has to be showing that yes, the TCC PWM solenoid is ready to pulse in conjunction with/as TCC is locking up.

TCC APPLIED
    - COULD be the TCC PWM solenoid (the one on the valvebody),.....but, what it's trying to show (with the no/yes) evades my simply mind. Maybe it's simply stating that yes, the TCC PWM solenoid is receiving the signal in readiness to pulse when the PCM wants to lock the TC??? Does that sound logical, especially since it switches to yes so early (~6mph)???

I sure wish some of our moderator/HPTuners staff experience could ring in on this one,..... it would be cool if they could tell us what these actually mean/how they relate,....especially since there is nothing on the help file that even mentions it (nowhere else on HPT for that matter). It potentially could be a diagnostic aid.

Thanks for your help JasonB,....your always a world of knowledge bud.
    Totally restored - 1996 GMC K1500 ext cab, HT383e swap, MPFI spider, 0411 PCM swap, FLT Level 5 4L60e with Sonnax Smart Tech input housing, Tru-Cool 40k transmission cooler with -6AN lines, 1-5/8" Hedman Husler long tube race headers with 2-1/2"ss dual exhaust, rebuilt 3.73 rear axle with Yukon/Detroit Helical locker, 6" ProComp lift with steering stabilizer and rear traction bars, 35x12.50x15 BFG All Terrains, Perma-Cool e-fans, etc, etc, etc,..

Advanced Tuner
    couple years old, but would be nice for updates

Advanced Tuner
    After a few more years it would still really be nice @hptuners