Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: maf tuning help.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 85LSburb View Post
    Sorry. Forgot you already went over maf tuning. I may look into the tuning book. What one do you recommend? I will have to put the tune on hold until next weekend. Truck is out of gas and my account is out of money. Thanks for all the help!!!
    I recommend youtube and this website because they're free and all you need.
    Internet > book(s)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoWiz View Post
    ve tuning.............
    Since we're all here chatting about VE and MAF tuning.. you mind if you help me out with a question (so I don't start a[nother] thread)?
    Here goes.. I'll start with this..
    I refuse to properly tune my VE. I hate all things VE and disabling this and that and I think the VE is useless when running a MAF.
    However..
    I'm a bit psychotic about my tune.. I want everything as perfect as possible.. and that includes my VE.. but again, I refuse to tune it properly.
    The way my VE is now.... f it.. here's a pic..
    My VE.jpg
    notice the dip in the 4,000-4,400rpm area..
    I done that because my main spark table has that dip..
    here's a pic of that..
    My main spark.jpg

so finally, my question is.. Am I stupid for doing that and am I better off smoothing out that dip like this..
    how I'm thinking.jpg
    ?

The volumetric efficiency should increase as engine rpm increases and also as engine load increases to just before max power and then it should taper off. Once you have a basic shape you should use ltft or afr error to correct cells. The bumps and dips you might see on a oem tune file might have a lot to do with emissions and warranty claims and stuff that simply does not apply once we start making changes. The smooth table will run smooth.
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 05-30-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Banned
    The volumetric efficiency should increase as engine rpm increases and also as engine load increases to just before max power and then it should taper off. Once you have a basic shape you should use ltft or afr error to correct cells. The bumps and dips you might see on a oem tune file might have a lot to do with emissions and warranty claims and stuff that simply does not apply once we start making changes. The smooth table will run smooth.
    Thanks. But.. my main spark table dips at about peak torque (was told by the guys here that that's normal) so if I'm not commanding a lot of spark at around 4-4400rpm's, should my VE table also dip or not?
    I will never tune my VE properly or use LTFT. I just want to know if I should leave it with the dip, or smooth the dip out (and lower the hump/bulge a bit at around 2-3,000 rpm).

Tuner in Training
    ok guys. i got my ve table pretty close. every cell i can hit it is 0 to -2. so now i am off to the maf tune. put my stock 06 maf curve in it and have logged like 20 drives changing the curve every time. it really wants to stall coming to a stop. one tune goes way rich so i adjust it. next time its way lean. i my be adjusting something wrong. i log my ltft+stft on hz and copy and past multiply by % over the maf curve. I must be doing something wrong. here is my tune and drive home. it did not stall coming home but did going to work today. seems to be much worse in the mornings. i tried adding idle airflow and it seemed to help after work but before work it still stalls. i have to be doing something wrong. when i was tuning ve it never stalled ever. i have adjusted the curve atleast 20 times logging and then adjusting then more logging. im just lost i guess. I thought the maf was going to be easier then the ve. has not been so far... looks like i got the morning and after work drives attached. thanks for the help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Where is the rest of this thread?

Tuner in Training
    one issue that i keep running into is extreme lean condition, with both the MAF tune and VVE tune. Its a 2014 silverado 5.3 engine Texas speed Long tube headers, off road cat delete with Y pipe, super 10 muffler, and a 6.2 throttle body and manifold, K&N coming in this weekend requiring a fresh tune anyways, LOL. I cannot tune it in VE primary; because primary VE values do not have RPM ranges above 3000 rpm. when I tune it in the VVE table as soon as i adjust the table, I get extremely rich idle (12-14) some numbers hit 20 if i remember correctly. and extremely lean at around 3500 RPM (-12-,-10). is this just the truck trying to compensate for being "obnoxious with a big mouth?" how do i adjust these conditions for a smooth idle and smooth fuel curves without loss of power? I will post my Logs and fuel tables when I get home from work today. my MAF tune goes up to (6-8) at around (5000-9000) Hz, this also needs to be corrected and my MAF tune seems to not read past about (12500-14500) is this normal for a MAF curve?

Tuner
    Sorry to jump in. Link is not working for the GM level 1 course.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by svl208 View Post
    Sorry to jump in. Link is not working for the GM level 1 course.
    you can get that course here: https://www.hptuners.com/order.php

Tuning the right way GM level 1.
    This helped me a lot:
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...hlight=Lsj+maf