Thread: Speed Density Mode

Advanced Tuner

Speed Density Mode

I setup the speed density mode as outlined in the HPT help file (Speed Density Tuning using Wideband O2 Input). But since I don't have the wideband yet, I was just checking it out, running through the process, so to speak.

Are there any dangers from running in this mode for any length of time?

Also, I still have cats so I ignored the COT settings, any problem there?

There are quite few people who always run SD. I have been on SD since Feb 06 with no issues. I like the feel of the throttle on SD. Dont see any problem with no cats.

Fastest A4 Coupe Bolt On's
    11.33 @ 119.84 mph OLSD Tune

Tuning done by www.GearsAreUs.com

I run SD mode full time, and have done so for nearly a year now.

Basically, i hated my MAF with a passion. My VE Table would be dead on, and no matter how many times i "calibrated" the MAF, it still screwed things up.

So i destroyed it in a act of vengence Now it runs just fine.

Also i have COT disabled. As long as you have sufficient fueling in your PE table, they wont overheat.
    Last edited by RoninsDenali; 06-17-2006 at 05:52 PM.
    Warning: User exhibits tendency to use offensive amount of smileys...
    2003 GMC Denali XL
    HPTuners MVPI Pro | LC-1 Wideband | 1 Bar Speed Density OS | MAF Delete | Corsa Sport Exhaust | Flex-A-Lite 282 E-Fans | Nelson Harness | K&N FIPK | SSBC Truck-Force 10 Calipers | Brembo OE Sized Cross-Drilled Discs | NGK TR55's

Advanced Tuner
    I was considering a full switch to SD (after I get the wideband). But I am just in the setup described in the help file. That's all. I am assuming you guys have fully tuned for SD, right?

Have you looked at the help file settings? Are these safe as is?

Having just read the SD guide in the help file, i dont see anything there that could cause trouble. I do a few things a little different, but have the same net effect as what the help page says.

Also, if you do endup running SD mode all the time, invest into the 1Bar SD Enhancement. I have it on my truck, and it makes things so much better.
    Warning: User exhibits tendency to use offensive amount of smileys...
    2003 GMC Denali XL
    HPTuners MVPI Pro | LC-1 Wideband | 1 Bar Speed Density OS | MAF Delete | Corsa Sport Exhaust | Flex-A-Lite 282 E-Fans | Nelson Harness | K&N FIPK | SSBC Truck-Force 10 Calipers | Brembo OE Sized Cross-Drilled Discs | NGK TR55's

If you have not touched the tune yet for SD, dont run it, esp if you are setting it up in open loop. You dont want to drive around for a long time on an untuned car in SD. Thats just my opinion, wait until you get a WB.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ws6firebirdta00
    If you have not touched the tune yet for SD, dont run it, esp if you are setting it up in open loop. You dont want to drive around for a long time on an untuned car in SD. Thats just my opinion, wait until you get a WB.
    Waiting until I have the WB is not a problem.

But what has you concerned?

I would be worried the car would be running too lean and would cause engine damage. Low airflow isnt such an issue as the WOT is.
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

I have been running in SD all summer and I won't go back to the MAF either. I am with the others, I love the feel of the throttle moreso than with the maf. I don't think the maf can calc fuel/air as fast as SD which is pre-determined by you. I just tweak it ever so slightly as the weather changes but other than that it runs clean and strong. Now here's something else that will make you tuners cry, I did this with my stock O2's and run WOT all the time shifting at 6200-6400 on a daily basis with my 4.8 Although I am looking for an excuse to pick up an escalade motor for my truck......

there is NO difference in throttle response from a properly tuned MAF setup vs SD. I did both and the car ran great both ways. I had some odd low flow fueling issues iwth the MAF in transient conditions, only reason I ditched it. I would rather deal with the SD issues than that.

Advanced Tuner
    Might have just made your own new thread this one is from 12 years ago. In the tabs menu one will be labled o.s.I believe it's one of the first tabs. Simply pick the 2 bar o.s. upgrade and wtite the pcm.
    97 ext cab short bed silverado 5.7 411 swap, edelbrock 29135 intake, lightly ported 906 heads milled .035 thou. factory press in rocker studs & rockers, comp 787 retainers & stock locks, ls6 springs. Comp cams 08-503-8 T56 swap

86 SWB crate vortec 5.7/th350 The wife's truck

Tuner in Training
    No that’s with the older version of hP I will start a new thread I actually thought it should be in the sticky’s

Advanced Tuner
    OS tab between favorites and engine.

Click that, the drop down box will show all the OS upgrade options. If it’s empty then one is already applied

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    to check if one is applied go to the edit menu in the tuner and go to calibration details. in there it will tell you the system os information. if it has been upgraded it will have a longer description then just an os number and tell you which has been applied.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    There isn’t an upgrade it just says operating system 12225075 and there is nothing in the os wi Dow it’s blank

If the OS box is blank you can't upgrade because either the OS is already upgraded or there was never an option to perform an OS upgrade.

OS upgraded are not supported on every single OS.

You must be in advanced view to see OS upgraded fyi.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Sorry it was meant to say 12225074 is what the operating system says I’m using vcm 4 and not sure how to change it to 2bar os here’s a pic of details of it

Tuner in Training
    You ripper thanks never realised I’d switched from advanced when I was searching the new soft ware much appreciated ������

Tuner
    Just to clarify, IF i run the 2 bar os on my 1998 corvette ls1, when i run in speed density, do I have to copy the high octane spark to the low spark table like you do in the factory os because it defaults to low with the maf dtcs or is this one of the benefits of running the 2bar upgrade in that you can leave both spark tables alone?
    2010 /2SS/Long Tubes/ Magnaflow axle back/LSA Conversion/ 2 bar OS running / Stock Blower Pulley...for now