Thread: AiM data gradually becoming out of sync with video in RR3

Potential Tuner

AiM data gradually becoming out of sync with video in RR3

Hey all,

For whatever reason, the data overlay on my projects gradually becomes more and more out of sync with the corresponding video (video from GoPro 4 Session) from the point where I sync it from. Datalogger is a AiM MXL Pista dash utilizing an AiM 10Hz GPS05 receiver. I use the "GPS Lap Insert" function in the AiM RaceStudio2 software to keep lap times and start/finish consistent across different sessions.

It seems that if I adjust the data playback speed under configuration in RR3 to about 1.0005 that tends to keep it pretty close, or close enough. But, this must be a band-aid type fix to something deeper that's going on.

Anyone else experience this before and have any input?

I've seen this type of timing drift a few times before with various video & data equipment combinations, enough that it was the main inspiration for adjustable playback speeds in RaceRender 3. This does seem to have gotten better in recent years, but it still comes up from time to time.

Digital clocks often seem to run slightly slow or slightly fast, which becomes apparent over time if there's no system in place to automatically correct them, and that's usually what's happening in these situations. Typically, the hardware clocks are close enough to each other to not create a problem, but occasionally some users see a little drift over the span of a longer project, and very rarely it might be enough to noticeably affect shorter projects. In either case, the adjustable playback speed option should help you solve this issue, as this type of hardware drift should be at a pretty consistent rate. If it's not a consistent drift, or if it goes back and forth, then that's even more rare and may indicate other problems.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    I've seen this type of timing drift a few times before with various video & data equipment combinations, enough that it was the main inspiration for adjustable playback speeds in RaceRender 3. This does seem to have gotten better in recent years, but it still comes up from time to time.

Digital clocks often seem to run slightly slow or slightly fast, which becomes apparent over time if there's no system in place to automatically correct them, and that's usually what's happening in these situations. Typically, the hardware clocks are close enough to each other to not create a problem, but occasionally some users see a little drift over the span of a longer project, and very rarely it might be enough to noticeably affect shorter projects. In either case, the adjustable playback speed option should help you solve this issue, as this type of hardware drift should be at a pretty consistent rate. If it's not a consistent drift, or if it goes back and forth, then that's even more rare and may indicate other problems.
    Thank you, Weston. It seems to work out ok by adjusting the data playback speed.

And, yes, this is for video/data recorded for an endurance road racing event so each driver has about 1.5 hours of video to sync. It becomes very apparent the further you go from the point of syncing if I don't adjust playback.

Thanks.