Thread: why do i need to relicense my pcm

Tuner

why do i need to relicense my pcm

I swapped pcms in my Camaro, which was from a van that I pulled with the engine to one I have already licensed with a vin ive already licensed, then reprogrammed it with my pass thru programmer to a truck operating system so I can get a tach output signal and I am being asked to license again is this normal?
    95 z28 with 6.0, 243's milled .030 to about 11:1, ls6 intake and tb, brian tooley stage 3 231/242 617/593 112 lsa , fast/ areomotive fuel system, 1 7/8 tsp longtubes, no cats, turbo 400, 36 lbs GTP injectors

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    When you change to a new pcm you need to license the new pcm, there is no way around it.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    Even tho I previously licensed it ? All I did was reflash it

Tuner in Training
    from my experience if you reflash a pcm with a gm tech 2 or pass thru it will lock the pcm back to factory in which u will have to relicense that pcm again

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jason k View Post
    Even tho I previously licensed it ? All I did was reflash it
    The serial is different, hence there is no way for the software to know that it is actually the same car. If they licensed on VIN alone it would open it up to being abused if people used other software to make the VIN identical.