Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4l80e tcc still locking

Potential Tuner

4l80e tcc still locking

I'm editing this post. I put it up all frustrated last night. I have lurked on this forum and found answers to most of my questions without having to post.

The vehicle I am having issues with is a 56 Buick, that has a LQ4 and 4L80E out of a 2001 Silverado. The harness was made standalone by 150tunes. The engine has larger injectors, 228r cam, 243 heads, larger throttle body, and valvetrain. The trans was rebuilt last year by a professional with Hughes internals and several updates. The torque convertor is a TCI billet 3600 stall single clutch lock up. The rear end has 3.73 gears.

Here's my problem. I have been attempting to tune out the tcc lock up in second gear. I maxed out the lock up speed, with no success. Then I tried stealing some tunes from the repository, which made it shift better, but I am still getting tcc application at 4800rpm, 60mph and WOT.

About to cut the tcc wire to keep from blowing up this converter! If anyone can help me out that would be awesome.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bikerted86; 06-03-2017 at 11:03 AM. Reason: update

Advanced Tuner
    I doubt you will blow it up locking at that RPM in 2nd gear. The factory 8.1s lock at 45 mph in 2nd gear. If they are using an OEM sized lockup clutch it will not be a problem. My 4L80E in my Express van locks around 3,500 rpm in 2nd gear and stays locked through the shifts.

As for your problem have you checked the 01 operating system you are running for a seperate TCC table for WOT? Some years have a WOT mode and tables that are different than the part-throttle table. Also you can set the forced unlock to something like 50% rather than 100% and see if it stays unlocked.

Ask support to add the Full Throttle Apply/Release TCC tables.

Russ Kemp

FYI, your tune is setup all wrong if you truely want to run in speed density without the MAF sensor.

The MAF fail high must be set to 0hz and the 3 MAF dtc's need to be on first error. Not having it failed correctly can contribute to other problems while tuning.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I emailed Hptuner support for the addition of the WOT table and corrected the Speed Density MAF fail and DTCs. Thank you for noticing those problems.

Tuner in Training
    Having the same issue. Did support help you with your issue? I emailed them and was told there are no other tables.

Advanced Tuner
    Can you try setting the 2nd gear WOT apply speed to 200 and release speed to 195 and see what happens?
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

Tuner in Training
    I don't have WOT apply tables and I don't think the OP does either.

Advanced Tuner
    Let me rephrase... set the apply speed to 200 and release speed to 195. See what happens.
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)

Tuner in Training
    I will try that and report back thank you! Could I ask what your thinking is? Helps me understand the logic behind the OS.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rtdavid View Post
    I will try that and report back thank you! Could I ask what your thinking is? Helps me understand the logic behind the OS.
    Some ECM's dont like the max value used in some tables. Unless the vehicle can reach 200 MPH in second gear, this shouldnt be an issue.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb71 View Post
    Some ECM's dont like the max value used in some tables. Unless the vehicle can reach 200 MPH in second gear, this shouldn't be an issue.
    Makes sense, I'll give it a try but my apply/release speeds are 410/409 km/h max is 412 you think just being close to the max could do it?

Potential Tuner
    Having the same issue. Did support help you with your issue? I emailed them and was told there are no other tables.
    HPTuners was not able to give me a fix for it. I have tried all gears maxed out, with no success. I have tried multiple speeds in the columns with no success. Let me know if you get good results.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerted86 View Post
    HPTuners was not able to give me a fix for it. I have tried all gears maxed out, with no success. I have tried multiple speeds in the columns with no success. Let me know if you get good results.
    I have an idea to fix this issue mechanically and still retain functionality in cruise conditions. For now in going to cut the wire and turn the code that produces to not report. I'll keep you updated. I had started an additional thread before I saw this one, maybe that will generate more interest. I know many people have had this issue before, and had read that efi live has access to those tables but I can't find that old thread.

Tuner in Training
    what tables? im fighting this issue in efilive. i have no contoll over the tcc. it applies in first at 3500-5500 rpm and stays in apply until 5400-5800 in second in wot, probably depending on the constellation of the stars. there even isnt a table for first. (4l60 though.)
    Last edited by dian; 06-12-2017 at 03:20 AM.

Potential Tuner
    I have an idea to fix this issue mechanically and still retain functionality in cruise conditions. For now in going to cut the wire and turn the code that produces to not report. I'll keep you updated. I had started an additional thread before I saw this one, maybe that will generate more interest. I know many people have had this issue before, and had read that efi live has access to those tables but I can't find that old thread.
    I was thinking of putting a switch inline, so I can disable the tcc at the track.

Quote Originally Posted by dian View Post
    what tables? im fighting this issue in efilive. i have no contoll over the tcc. it applies in first at 3500-5500 rpm and stays in apply until 5400-5800 in second in wot, probably depending on the constellation of the stars. there even isnt a table for first. (4l60 though.)
    I always thought these trans couldn't engage the TCC in 1st gear, mechanically for some reason. I seem to recall something about that from years ago.

Tuner in Training
    my understanding is that it should not lock in first, but mechanically? are you shure? i dont understand much about these transmissions, but i thought the tcc is independently conrolled. i cant logg tcc pressure, just duty, so i dont really know what the tcc is doing. if your right, that would support my suspicion that the tcc mode im logging is some ghost reading. i cant feel the tcc engaging, btw, and i seem to have no controll over it. what im logging is erratic behaviour at best. one pass is locked, the next one applied etc. sometimes in goes into release before apply, then again not.

Tuner in Training
    I wanted to bump this up. Was there ever a resolution? I have a friend with a 2000 Camaro SS with a 4l80E and on the street unless you floor it, it will lock up in 2nd or 3rd at a low rpm bogging the engine a bit and not letting the turbo spool when you accelerate lightly. Did you ever cut the wire to see if that was the cause?

I was having all kinds of TC lockup issues and it turned out to be the OS. I went through two before I finally found one that worked right. The third one corrected all my issues. Just a thought.