Thread: 6L80 Performance Question

Potential Tuner

6L80 Performance Question

I'm purchasing a 2010 Camaro SS that has been dyno'd/tuned at about 700rwhp. This car has a stock auto 6L80 with trans cooler in it. I have no intention of racing this car, Except maybe getting on it from a stoplight or two. Will this transmission hold up? I only plan on putting a few thousand miles on it a year, Will not be everyday driver.

you should be fine. ive seen over forums they taking 1000hp and running 9s on quarter mile with circle d converters

Advanced Tuner
    Will be ok if tuned properly.....
    2007 Corvette C6 Vert. A6
    LME LS402, Pat G custom cam, ATI 10% OD Damper
    Circle D triple disc 2600, 3.42 Diff
    YSI, 3.0 pulley, ID 1000's
    Alky Control Meth,
    ARH 1 7/8 headers,
    1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWT @ 6000

There's a few variables here, how hard you launch, if your cooler is keeping up, how high the vehicle revs...

It 'should' be okay at that power level. I can tell you that you are nearing the internal limits of some of the hard parts around 800 ft-lbs of torque. At one point the drums should be welded to be reliable. It doesn't matter how well the TCM is tuned if you start cracking or shearing hardparts. Yes some people are doing okay for a while above 800 ft-lbs with an OEM unit, but this is kind of like "I'm on 18psi will I need a built motor?" Well some people make it years without one and others don't.

Is it behaving in a manor that is causing you to question the trans or trans tune?